Project Tau

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Re: Project Tau

Post by Snowflake »

The point about Tau being more like a robot is an interesting one. It is scary how advanced robots can be. It is also scary how programmed people can be. I can see why you would think, that as a clone, Tau would have more of a start on original thinking but it would seem that life with the scientists suppressed that until Kalin came along.
peace starts with a smile...
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

I think project Tau is a clone of human in the form of a robot. Initially it functions like a robot but later discover his human nature. Just like in surgery, tissue transplant, the body takes some time, days or months to either accept or reject the graft. The same way project Tau realise his other nature when Kalin begins to question him. I can say Tau is an advanced robot.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

Tau did not seem like a robot to me. The only problem is that he was trained to obey orders and not to ask questions. Kalin's question brought out the human in him.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

When Kalin arrived, Tau was only six months old. Even so, he had already shown curiosity and intelligence when he asked a question - and was punished for it. Kalin also comments that there was nothing in their room - no books, no television, etc. Kalin's questions were the first intellectual stimulation that Tau was exposed to and we see his rapid growth. This shows two things: the absolute control the scientists used on Tau, and how quickly Tau could learn when Kalin began questioning and teaching him.
bunmiolu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmiolu.html
Latest Review: My Heart in Kenya by Ruth Beardsley

Post by bunmiolu »

B Creech wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 13:23
Tavaiel26 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:27 It sort of goes into the creepiest aspects of the book. Think for example of feral children. Without guidance in their early years, some of these children never catch up to normal human behaviors. Tau didn't know any different.
You are right, Tau was programmed, but this is something you can do to humans as well! Experiments into these areas were done a lot in the early years of psychology... before we started to care about things like morality and ethics.
Even with Kalin, when he starts falling into the belief that he is a clone. The process known as "breaking" is actually used a lot in gangs and human trafficking. There is a limit to how much the human physique can take before it just accepts whatever brings less pain.

I'm sorry if this got super dark! I actually studied psychology and criminology and I found these aspects of the book super interesting!
Thanks for the insight! It is very interesting what can be done to the mind. I've been sort of freaked out since I saw a video on Youtube of the robot Sophie!! She is what I thought about when I first started reading this book. Tau reminded me of her, he was just more advanced. If you've never seen her check her out! To me she's scary!
Exactly the image I had in mind.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ebby Brown wrote: 25 May 2020, 16:06 I think project Tau is a clone of human in the form of a robot. Initially it functions like a robot but later discover his human nature. Just like in surgery, tissue transplant, the body takes some time, days or months to either accept or reject the graft. The same way project Tau realise his other nature when Kalin begins to question him. I can say Tau is an advanced robot.
That is very interesting! It is for sure he was programmed by the scientists to do their bidding. The human brain can also be 'programmed' by hearing the same thing over and over again.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Snowflake wrote: 22 May 2020, 10:57 The point about Tau being more like a robot is an interesting one. It is scary how advanced robots can be. It is also scary how programmed people can be. I can see why you would think, that as a clone, Tau would have more of a start on original thinking but it would seem that life with the scientists suppressed that until Kalin came along.
Yes, it did suppress his mind until Kalin kept telling him over and over. Repetition, especially in a controlled environment can definitely change the thoughts of the human brain. I agree it is scary how programmed people can be. Just look at the pandemic we are battling now. How long did it take for the entire world to put on masks and stay six feet apart when the 'professionals' started telling us day after day to do that. Now that the country is trying to open up again many of us are so programmed to what we were told in the beginning that now we fear to take our masks off! We have been programmed!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

He seemed human to me. If one is raised from their first memories to be extremely submissive it might not occur to them to question their treatment.
Hassanah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hassanah.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Hassanah »

He was a robot who could reason like humans. I wouldn't say he was too programmed.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I think his training made him act like a robot though he was a clone. The mind can be programmed wrongly for the wrong purposes.
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Chocha »

Elmaestro wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 14:23 I don't think Project Tau seemed like a robot because it is the questionings by Kalin that made him realize he is more human and that he can live freely without being controlled... This is part of what made him escape because he wanted to be free of mind!
And the breaking out of both Project, Kata and Kalin is what makes this book even more amazing. It really gives it a good impression of what to expect in the next novel. That is if at all they will be another one.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Even though Tau seems to lack the human capacity of free will in the beginning, he easily breaks away from the programmed notions he seems to have been taught from when he was a child. This shows that he was not a robot since a robot would need to go another process of conditioning to be able to understand free will.
Brianna_MC_griffin97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-mc-griffin97.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Brianna_MC_griffin97 »

I was wondering myself who was Tau cloned from. Did he get his personality from a human child?
Uncle_Praise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uncle-praise.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uncle_Praise »

I must say, I'm no psychologist and criminologist, but I do enjoy reading the story of Project Tau, he was totally controllable and completely programmed. Yes I do agree with Creech, Project Tau was completely programmed.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

If you give birth to a child a train the child in a room without communication with people outside, that child is bound to behave the way he/she is trained because that is the only way of life he/she knows. Same with project Tau, he obeyed every thing he was told to to because that is the only way of life he has ever known. So no he didn’t seem more likes clone to me because just like humans adjust, he adjusted properly when taught otherwise

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”