Project Kata or Kalin Taylor?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
tgoatley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoatley.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Re: Project Kata or Kalin Taylor?

Post by tgoatley »

I think it was a little of both. I do think Kalin had to lose a piece of himself to become Kata, so I dont think he could ever go back to being just Kalin. But he will always know who he was.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

I'm inclined to support Kata's self-identification as Project Kata. If that's how he sees himself, then who am I to argue? Experiences change people, and it's not that uncommon for someone to want to adopt a new identify after an experience as traumatic as the one Kata went through. After all, his experience in the GenTech facility not only had a large impact on his psychology and personality, but also changed him physically in significant ways.
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I think Project Kata escaped GenTech. Kalin Taylor never would have killed all of those people at the end. I think Kalin Taylor is still there, but he might have to see his family before he can become his full self again. I'm hoping to see this in the next book!
brendanwhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendanwhite.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by brendanwhite »

B Creech wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 17:12 I think it was a mesh of both Kata and Kalin. He could never be just Kalin again due to the modifications that were done to him, and he couldn't be just Kata because he was still human! I think it was outrageous what they did to him!
I agree with you. I feel that he was physically Kalin, but had started to see himself as Kata.
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

The trauma really affected him. The fact that he decided to stop using "Kalin Taylor" and use "Kata" says it all. I am sure there is still a "Kalin" within him. He would pull through and survive.
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raindropreader »

NatRose wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 15:44 I'm inclined to support Kata's self-identification as Project Kata. If that's how he sees himself, then who am I to argue? Experiences change people, and it's not that uncommon for someone to want to adopt a new identify after an experience as traumatic as the one Kata went through. After all, his experience in the GenTech facility not only had a large impact on his psychology and personality, but also changed him physically in significant ways.
Yes I agree and I actually just thought of something when I read your post. Maybe he wants to actually take back the power in the situation and although he was given a terrible fate he is accepting it and now accepting that yes he was changed but he sees himself as stronger through overcoming it and so he calls himself Kata as a sense of pride. I’m not sure though just a thought.
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raindropreader »

tanner87cbs wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 01:28 I believe him to be fully Kata and the only piece of Kaylin Taylor is the aspect of citizenship for safe haven. He has little to no interest in reuniting with his family. Tau is his family now.
Oh that made me so sad to read because it’s so true. I just don’t know I’m so conflicted because of course I want him to see his family again but that might traumatize him even more if they rejected him now because of his claws and modifications. And also it’s true that trauma bonds people and also no one else could Identity with what they’ve both been through so they are isolated in their experiences.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Kalin's personality remained intact,it didn't change who he was.The changes was just his modifications.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Kalin it is for me. His personality remained unwavering at all times.The changes I saw was just his style of doing things or if you may, his modifications.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Project Kata and Kaylin.
I guess they are just the same.
The mix-up though got me confused at some point.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

This is a bit confusing though. I think a mesh of both escaped. Kalin Taylor is still existing within him
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

I think he is Project Kata, but not the Project Kata GenTech thought he was going to be. Kata never followed GenTech's rules anyway, so I don't think he every really fully became Project Kata. I do agree with him that he is no longer Kalin Taylor and that he endured too much trauma and his body has been beyond altered for him to consider himself human anymore (sadly), but I don't think that him being Project Kata is necessarily a negative thing. He isn't, and never really was (in my opinion, at least) owned by GenTech.
Leah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-m.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Leah M »

I feel project Kata escaped Gen Tech. His humanness is lost, and Tau makes more human decisions than he does. It will be great to know if he can adapt to the outside world or if it will drive him insane.
Azura_Cat
Favorite Book: The Collected Nightmares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azura-cat.html
Latest Review: New Yorkers by Clifford Browder

Post by Azura_Cat »

It was harsh for me when Kalin started referring to himself as Kata, but I think that was a defense mechanism for him. It was required to survive in this place that was gaslighting him and making him question everything he had ever known. Even when he realized that he was not a clone, Kalin had changed significantly. I think by that point, "Kalin" meant something akin to innocence for him, an innocence he no longer possessed. For me, he was still the Kalin who possessed all of his snark and intelligence, but he relied on the coldness that he thought Kata had to keep himself plotting and moving forward.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I think he was a combination of both Kalin and Kata. He has, of course, been changed too much and been through too much to ever be who he once was, but the human part of him still exists, even though it’s buried very deep. His experiences as Kata and Kalin are both part of him.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”