The Dangers of a Dare!

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: The Dangers of a Dare!

Post by Faithful Oso »

Kalin accepted the dare because he wanted to fit in, which resulted to the dehumanizing and suffering he went through which eventually led to the end of his life.. Which is a great lesson to all, don't accept any dare without knowing the end results.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

If he had thought about the consequences of the dare, he wouldn't have died. it is a great lesson to us all to always think things through.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

If not for the dare, he definitely wouldn't die. Although there are many other reasons around his death, the dare is definitely the most important.
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

Daring is a dangerous game to play. It can lead to brutal end like in the case of Kata which ended his life. The need to be accepted by a group or society does not end well in most cases.
Abhi07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhi07.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by Abhi07 »

do believe Kalin's life was ended due to the dare. He wanted to be a part of the fraternity so badly he was willing to do just about anything to get accepted. He thought it would make him a big man on campus. We should be careful what we wish for because things don't always turn out as we planned. In Kalin's instance they surely didn't!
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

Yes i agree that Kalin' life ended because the experiments carried out on him turned him into someone else. It is sad what the lent we can go to be accepted by a group. be careful what you wish for because not all that glitters is gold.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I disagree. Kalin had a choice. He didn't have to accept the dare. He didn't think through the consequences of his actions. The consequences of his decision (to accept the dare) ended his life as he knew it. Kalin could place the blame on his parents (for the teasing) or on the fraternity (for presenting the dare), but in the end he is the one responsible for his actions.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

While I agree with all the responses I've read, I would like to add this lesson: listen to the little voice in your head that is telling you to think twice about what you're doing. Kalin knew that going to GenTech was a bad idea, but he went before he could talk himself out of it.
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

Is "daring" someone to do something the same as forcing them to do something? Agh, this is a tough question. And what is the real cause? Is there ever really a clear cause for something to happen? There's so much else happening around!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I would say so because he was only there because of the dare.
It shows that dares can have unintended consequences.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

The life of Kalin Taylor as he previously knew himself was ended due to the dare. It could be said that hardship molded Kalin into a more efficient being. However, he endured much pain and hardship because of it.
Oftentimes, people take ill-advised dares because they are desperately seeking acceptance. It is my hope against hope that we can one day create a culture that frowns upon dangerous dares as a "rite of passage." The youngest son of one of my brother's friends died trying to prove his courage/masculinity to a group of guys he went camping with who were needling him and calling him a wimp and such. He jumped off a bridge into a ravine and died from internal bleeding.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

Ediomis_Enwongo01 wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 10:27 Daring is part of the human existence. It may end up in stardom or paying the supreme price. Kalin's dare ended in death. For anyone out there wishing to dare anything, the advice is, 'look before you leap'
You said it all. Never do things without knowing the consequences involved.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

Ediomis_Enwongo01 wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 10:27 Daring is part of the human existence. It may end up in stardom or paying the supreme price. Kalin's dare ended in death. For anyone out there wishing to dare anything, the advice is, 'look before you leap'
So true. The world needs daredevils too. But easy for me to say, I always choose 'truth' in 'truth or dare'!
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Kalin's life was ended due to the dare. He was too anxious for what he wanted that he was ready to do anything for it.
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

The dare simply is an insight to decision making. If Kalin had thought deeply and considered all the "what ifs," he would have made a favourable choice.
The dare served its purpose in the book wells deservingly.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”