The Ugly /dark side of humans.

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: The Ugly /dark side of humans.

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Treating them inhumanely was, for me, the most inhumane part of the book. It just shows how self-centered and selfish humans tend to get.
MA
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

there were many dark aspects of this book, but I was extremely horrified at the mistreatment of the clones, they went though horrible abuse.
AlbaIglesias
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albaiglesias.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by AlbaIglesias »

I think this book shows how human beings have been acting since, at least, the Medival Times. We take advantage of anyone in order to make improvements or developments without taking into consideration others' rights. I think the book should help us to remember the dark moments in which humans experimented with other human beings or enslaved them. The book, in my opinion, only demonstrates that the human being will keep doing it, maybe not with other human beings, but with animals, or as in the case of the book, with clones.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I believe that the subject of clones and their rights may also become a similar subject to the rights of immensely complicated androids of the future, as well. I believe that they may also be as complicated as life forms and that it will be impossible to determine whether they possess self awareness as well, and possibly also emotions and feelings of their own.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Usuma Khan
Currently Reading: Hands Across The Sea
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Usuma Khan »

Even if the clones were their own creation, the humans treated clones as slaves who were deprived of their basic rights and freedom. The ugliest thing for me was the realisation that the humans will continue their selfish deeds not with the clones as was the case with this book but with animals and the people inferior to them in the real world.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

The claws thing was gruesome. But there was always an ugly, dark side to humans.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I would say all of it. There was no single act that showed the dark side of humanity. Every act of degradation, of humiliation, of torture, the mere fact that the scientists we even able to do those atrocious things... I mean, Tau looks human, and he has feelings! And Kalin actually is human! It all boggles my mind. Kudos to Jude for even being able to write this stuff.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Wow! I have not yet read the book but the comments are giving me a picture of how dark we can be in the name of science given the chance. I know this book is fictional but I cannot help but wonder if truly some of this experiments are real to some extent..
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Arimart99 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:39 The ugliest thing is not necessarily the acts themselves, but the mindset of the people performing them. Sadly, the human mind can be such an ugly thing, and it's something that we've seen throughout our own history. One of the things that grossed me out was what they did to Kalin to dehumanize him.
It is true. Sometimes we tend to forget that our lives are just as short and we should never ever disregard anyone's life no matter the circumstance.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

AlbaIglesias wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 12:46 I think this book shows how human beings have been acting since, at least, the Medival Times. We take advantage of anyone in order to make improvements or developments without taking into consideration others' rights. I think the book should help us to remember the dark moments in which humans experimented with other human beings or enslaved them. The book, in my opinion, only demonstrates that the human being will keep doing it, maybe not with other human beings, but with animals, or as in the case of the book, with clones.
[/quote

Absolutely right.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

B Creech wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 17:53 I found the cutting off of the tips of Kalin's fingers and toes to give him claws was another ugly dark act. It was inhumane. When he agreed to have experimental testing done he certainly did not expect anything like that to be done to him. And without his knowledge as well!
I agree. This was just awful and made all the worse by Kalin's lack of consent to something that terrible.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Adedayo+23 wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 12:59
B Creech wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 17:53 I found the cutting off of the tips of Kalin's fingers and toes to give him claws was another ugly dark act. It was inhumane. When he agreed to have experimental testing done he certainly did not expect anything like that to be done to him. And without his knowledge as well!
I agree. This was just awful and made all the worse by Kalin's lack of consent to something that terrible.
I know! He agreed to have some experiments, but he never agreed to be physically altered! And to have that be the first thing they did to him was terrible!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Aaron Ambers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-ambers.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Aaron Ambers »

Katherine Smith wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:07 Despite the other threads, I personally was shocked at the lack of humanity shown to the clones. It reminded me of the way in which African slaves were treated when they were brought to the Americas to work on the plantations. It showed me how humans have an ugly or dark side that can come out if given the right conditions. This book also serves as somewhat of a cautionary tale about the dangers of the overuse or over dependence on technology.
Hmm.
If given the wrong condition I'd say humans are rather conditioned to adapt to whatever condition is thrown. We however thrive better with lovely conditions.
What makes you different or weird – that’s your strength.” – Meryl Streep
:tiphat:
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Chocha »

Punishing Kalin for breaching through the facility by mutating him was the ugliest aspect to me.
Sheetal_22564
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheetal-22564.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sheetal_22564 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 01:23 In this book we saw that clones were not afforded human rights and that many characters accepted their abuse and demeaning life. For me, the most ugly side of this was the torture performed on the two projects in the name of Pain Acclimation.
What was the ugliest or darkest act you experienced in this book?
It was the same for me too. A living bodily creature must have it's rights as similar to humans. On the name of experiments and greater discoveries, exploitation of one invention isn't good.
- Sheetal

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”