Hillary's Character Development

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
mairu
Currently Reading: Geek Girl : Model Misfit
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mairu.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Re: Hillary's Character Development

Post by mairu »

Hillary’s character development was amazing, she really did grow immensely as a person, from being a troubled young woman, whos had her fair share of punches rolled at her, into a secure mother contrary to her own childhood, for the sake of her daughter Claire.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I haven't read any other books in the series, so I cannot compare. But I have ambiguous feelings about the way that Hillary's character was developed in this particular novel. On the one hand, I found it really deep and well-conveyed; on the other hand, things were lacking, such as her reaction (or lack of, rather) to Sarah's murder. It just felt incomplete. And I liked Hillary's reasoning when reflecting on her emotions but, at the same time, I found her a little uptight, a 'spoilsport.'
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

choco latte wrote: 25 May 2020, 07:56 Hillary’s character development is phenomenal. You can see how she grew from a troubled woman to a strong mother. Hillary had a tough childhood, and it has affected her mentally, but she becomes brave and resilient for her daughter Claire. Hillary knew that she wanted to do everything for her daughter that she could not have in her childhood. She was always there for Claire whenever she needed her. I loved seeing her growth.
So far I am in the middle of "House of Eire". It is good to know that Hillary had a way to develop herself. In "House of Eire", she seems is very caring and mature person - to the husband, daughter and others around her. Thank you for the introduction about Hillary.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Totally agree that the exploration of Irish heritage was a highlight of this book. Even just in House of Eire, Hillary grew a ton. She doesn't want to end up like her own mother and this novel brought about many revelations. I think this book in particular was a turning point for our heroine.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I read house of eerie and house of dads. I really liked the character of Hillary in these two books. You can see her growth between the stories. She seemed to be stronger as a person and mother in the second book

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”