Do you like Gillam‘s writing style at the beginning of the book "House of Eire" ?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Do you like Gillam‘s writing style at the beginning of the book "House of Eire" ?

Post by Princepetr10 »

At the beginning of the book , i had difficulties in understanding . The first few pages seemed heavy for me . As I struggled reading , I began to enjoy it and got the Rhythm of the book . The writer used this pattern and tools to capture the readers .
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Reading the beginning I wondered if I was missing something because I didn't read the first novels in this series. Probably it's just not my kind of novel.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Indeed it takes time to get used to a writer's style whomever it is. I believe this book is no exception.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Princepetr10 wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 06:49 At the beginning of the book , i had difficulties in understanding . The first few pages seemed heavy for me . As I struggled reading , I began to enjoy it and got the Rhythm of the book . The writer used this pattern and tools to capture the readers .
I think I fully understood the book after finished it. I had trouble at the beginning too. I credit it due to the fact that this is a series after all, so maybe I missed out on not reading previous books.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

NetMassimo wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 07:51 Reading the beginning I wondered if I was missing something because I didn't read the first novels in this series. Probably it's just not my kind of novel.
I feel the same. I haven't read the previous book either. I would say the writing is a bit dry. I don't know. It takes time to get into it.
Raycheal+2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Raycheal+2020 »

The style of the author was new to me. I felt confused at first. I had to start go over to the beginning twice. But I loved the slowed paced way she told the story.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I did not like the pace at the beginning of the story. It's slow and I found it hard to connect with the story. This made me give up on completing reading the whole book.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 13:44
NetMassimo wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 07:51 Reading the beginning I wondered if I was missing something because I didn't read the first novels in this series. Probably it's just not my kind of novel.
I feel the same. I haven't read the previous book either. I would say the writing is a bit dry. I don't know. It takes time to get into it.
Dry. That's the word. The writing at the beginning is not seasoned in a way that motivates the reader to keep on reading and connect with the story. I did not finish reading the book.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
fajar ali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by fajar ali »

it took me some time to understand at the beginning but after few pages I got the writer style and start to enjoy.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I didn't notice a difficulty. I guess I just felt that it was like a lot of the action books that I read: it dropped readers into the middle of a scene and we had to pull context clues.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

I didn't have any difficulty with the writing style at the beginning of the book.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nerea wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:31
Dry. That's the word. The writing at the beginning is not seasoned in a way that motivates the reader to keep on reading and connect with the story. I did not finish reading the book.
Sorry to hear that but I completely understand. I did have to "make" myself keep on reading. But the later on it did became better. Or I just got to used to it. Better luck with your next read.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I enjoyed the writing all the way through, although I did think the ending went off the rails a bit. I would like to read the first two books in the series.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Nerea wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:31
Agreed. I didn't feel compelled to keep reading. And I didn't feel like it picked up very much during the course of the book. I struggled through the whole thing. I guess the style just wasn't to my liking.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It will make some of us curious, and some of us bored. The lucky ones will get through and read the whole thing, while others give it up
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”