Do you like Gillam‘s writing style at the beginning of the book "House of Eire" ?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Do you like Gillam‘s writing style at the beginning of the book "House of Eire" ?

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nerea wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 15:40
AntonelaMaria wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 18:27
Nerea wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:31

Dry. That's the word. The writing at the beginning is not seasoned in a way that motivates the reader to keep on reading and connect with the story. I did not finish reading the book.
Sorry to hear that but I completely understand. I did have to "make" myself keep on reading. But the later on it did became better. Or I just got to used to it. Better luck with your next read.
Oooooh, that's great. I guess I gave up quickly. Thanks.
On the other hand, sometimes it's better to give up than to read a book that doesn't appeal to you. There are so many books out there that we can have the luxury to give up when a book is not working out for us.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

raylenejanice wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 17:31
Nerea wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:31
AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 13:44

I feel the same. I haven't read the previous book either. I would say the writing is a bit dry. I don't know. It takes time to get into it.
Dry. That's the word. The writing at the beginning is not seasoned in a way that motivates the reader to keep on reading and connect with the story. I did not finish reading the book.
I was confused through most of the first half of the book. The author's transitions were sudden-- she didn't take the reader with her. There were three times in the book she described a character throwing their hands in the air and waving them, but she never says why. Just randomly they would wave their hands in the air for no discernable reason. In the very beginning when they are at the restaurant in the USA, the table suddenly stops talking and stares at Hilary. Again: WHY??? There are just no transitions Things happen, and the reader isn't given enough clues to understand why.
I think I just accepted that is her writing style. I haven't read any other books b the r so I can say too much but those seem like a mistakes that a novice writer would do. Which she is not. Soooo...yeah. To bad about it.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Larkspur wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 04:06 At first I almost stopped reading the story after I did not understand the first few pages. Later on I got used to it and actually liked the writer's style
I did the same thing. I thought of quitting too and then I got used to it. Only is that I wouldn't say I liked it but more of accepting it.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

AJ_Drenda wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 09:39
Princepetr10 wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 06:49 At the beginning of the book, I had difficulties in understanding. The first few pages seemed heavy for me. As I struggled reading, I began to enjoy it and got the Rhythm of the book. The writer used this pattern and tools to capture the readers.
I like her cinematographic style of writing, like shots and scenes in a movie. It's fast-paced and submerges you in the story instantaneously. And you're right, very rhythmic.
"cinematographic style of writing" I never heard of it described like that but I do like how you said it.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

It was quite a drag and made the book appear boring at first
Nnlibby
Currently Reading: Memoirs of the Senator's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnlibby.html
Latest Review: Blood Red Moon by Lee Roberts
Reading Device: B0794Z55CH

Post by Nnlibby »

It was hard for me to get "into" the book at the beginning. Usually, I will just stop reading the book, but it is hard to write a review if you don't read it. Once the story took place in Ireland, it was easier for me to read. And as the story progressed, I actually enjoyed it.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Miraphery wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 09:46 It was quite a drag and made the book appear boring at first
Oh yes boring it is an adequate description for the first part.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Personally, I enjoyed the writing style at the beginning of the book. It introduces readers to Hillary and her family while giving off an air of mystery.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

There's definitely a learning curve with the writing style. Something to get used to.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 07:37
AJ_Drenda wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 09:39
Princepetr10 wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 06:49 At the beginning of the book, I had difficulties in understanding. The first few pages seemed heavy for me. As I struggled reading, I began to enjoy it and got the Rhythm of the book. The writer used this pattern and tools to capture the readers.
I like her cinematographic style of writing, like shots and scenes in a movie. It's fast-paced and submerges you in the story instantaneously. And you're right, very rhythmic.
"cinematographic style of writing" I never heard of it described like that but I do like how you said it.
"Сinematographic style of writing" is very well-chosen term to describe this style. :D
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

The author's writing style at the beginning was a bit complicated for me to understand.. The telling of the story left me in a limbo but I gradually understood it as the pages follewed.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I had a bit of trouble catching up, especially when Bridget and Seamus appeared, but I think the author did a great job and the book can be read as a standalone. I enjoyed her style but, of course, we all have different tastes.
Queenyx
Currently Reading: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenyx.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Queenyx »

Frankly, it took me all my reading strength not to drop the book because the first pages got me questioning if the book was worth the reading time. Only till I got to the end of the book did I get to understand the why's and how's around the book's storyline
Kevsona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevsona.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kevsona »

I felt confused at first. I had to start go over to the beginning, it is then i began to enjoy the book. It takes time to get used to this novel.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

I am starting out with reading it and I am hesitating at dropping the book. The book's beginning sentences are sort of sloppy and not inviting enough to engage the reader. But I believe its worth a read so I will keep reading😀

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”