Dermot's Fate

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Dermot's Fate

Post by ZettieOby »

I think Dermot shouldn't be left off the hook so easily. He should have be brought to justice for his crime. Well may be a sequel shed more light in that!
kelvingat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvingat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by kelvingat »

In my opinion, I thing Dermot will face the judge in the next book that will be produced and this can be a hint of what should be expected.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

Dermot was not properly explained. He would disappear for long periods. Things started almost randomly happening apparently from his bidding. He was just a voice down a phone but we could have seen more of his planning with his new thugs and so on. He left a lot of questions. He was a bit of a wasted chance to bring more menace to the book.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

MirageP wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 12:44 Yes. There was too much backstory to Dermot's character, not enough epilogue. Also, I didn't like that his backstory made him a more sympathetic character. As a villain, I expected to hate him even more.
I definitely agree that his ending left much to be wanting, but I was actually pretty alright with him having a sympathetic background. I like my villains to be two-sided. Much more human that way, instead of just someone to place all of our wrath into (but, definitely, there can be value in that, too). I like the inner-conflict it can create. However, I think that his story wasn't introduced well and wasn't placed well in the book. Typically in that scenario, the sympathetic side would be more likely to come at the ending or somewhere near the ending. That way there is more shock value. The author did the same thing for Seamus. I was fine with his story, but I wasn't a fan of its execution.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 22:58
LinaMueller wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 18:15
jdraper16 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 09:31 I feel he got off too easily for what he had planned. Thoughts?
Sadly, that's life. I agree that Dermot was evil and deserved to suffer much more. :evil2:
Well said! But as you mentioned, sometimes wicked people don't get the punishment we think they deserve - at least not right away...
That's definitely true, but it can make for a very frustrated reader. I believe that most fictitious stories need a balance between reality and fantasy, to the degree that you aren't even sure if that could happen in real life but it feels like it could be a possibility. I like juuuuust enough reality to go along with my fiction; too much reality can pull away from the fun factor of a fiction novel. Not always, of course, but in this case, I think it would be very unfortunate for the book and the reader if there isn't more to the Dermot story.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

His role felt unfinished and the reason he did the things he did seemed out of proportion to his actions. His skeleton was not that dramatic!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

Dragonsend wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 18:17 His role felt unfinished and the reason he did the things he did seemed out of proportion to his actions. His skeleton was not that dramatic!
Exactly this! It needed an extra twist level, as well as credibility; what was at risk for him if folk found out about his past and so on.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

ThomasCShearman1976 wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 02:31
Dragonsend wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 18:17 His role felt unfinished and the reason he did the things he did seemed out of proportion to his actions. His skeleton was not that dramatic!
Exactly this! It needed an extra twist level, as well as credibility; what was at risk for him if folk found out about his past and so on.
:D
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Yesssss!!! I was left wanting when it came to Dermot. My craving for payback really was not satisfied. One of the reasons I felt that the whole story was incomplete.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

For me, it is one of the open ends of this book, and I would have loved to read more about him, his background, his thoughts, and his reasoning. The end of the book felt a bit rushed to me.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I also would have like to see him pay for his crimes. I agree that the author brushed aside the fate of Dermot and almost rushed through it. It didn't bother me too much because the book had other amazing qualities to it. But in general that piece could have been handled better.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”