Help the characters

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Help the characters

Post by aacodreanu »

Carolreads30 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 16:13 I felt that we needed to have Bridget's story a little stronger in the book. We truly did not know why she wanted the memorial placed in the theme park and I would have liked to have had Hillary's husband have a stronger role in the story.
Exactly my feeling. It seems the author missed the really great story by killing one and by-passing another.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

aacodreanu wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 16:17
Carolreads30 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 16:13 I felt that we needed to have Bridget's story a little stronger in the book. We truly did not know why she wanted the memorial placed in the theme park and I would have liked to have had Hillary's husband have a stronger role in the story.
Exactly my feeling. It seems the author missed the really great story by killing one and by-passing another.
Yes, it seemed as though it was so important to Bridget and yet, we truly did not know why.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

camwilliams wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 12:22 I would agree with what seems to be the popular opinion here. I liked what I got to see of Ed and Hillary's relationship. They really seem to love and care for each other. But as the book continued they see less and less of each other. Based upon Ed's personality, I find it hard to believe that he would leave Hillary or Claire by themselves to go to a seminar after Bridget's death, and definitely not after Sarah's death.
That's an inconsistency, considering that he was such a supportive husband from the start. I am not sure what point the author wanted to bring out by portraying him that way.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

I think the husband's character deserves more consistency, but this may affect the good side of Hillary which is the author's major focus in the book.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

aacodreanu wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:47 Which of the characters deserves more consistency and how could that be achieved?
Would a more defined participation of the supporting characters in the story make the main one, Hillary become less important or would that make her stand out better?
I think all side characters served good support to our main protagonists. Now regarding her husband, well I don't know should he participate more. This book is more of Hilary journey. Plus this book is a sequel and I haven't read the previous book so I can't say...maybe that has something to do with plot in that book. Sure every book even a sequel should stand on its own...which I think this book does. Maybe I would wish for Bridget to have a different fate but that is more of my subjective thought.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

B Creech wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:35 I think Hilary's husband should have had a more prominent place in the story. He was very supportive of Hilary but he just wasn't around enough.
I agree. I appreciate a strong female protagonist, but that doesn't have to mean the husband is absent from the story.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 07:42
aacodreanu wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:47 Which of the characters deserves more consistency and how could that be achieved?
Would a more defined participation of the supporting characters in the story make the main one, Hillary become less important or would that make her stand out better?
I think all side characters served good support to our main protagonists. Now regarding her husband, well I don't know should he participate more. This book is more of Hilary journey.
Plus this book is a sequel and I haven't read the previous book so I can't say...maybe that has something to do with plot in that book. Sure every book even a sequel should stand on its own...which I think this book does. Maybe I would wish for Bridget to have a different fate but that is more of my subjective thought.
My subjective thought too. It seems the author has killed the most interesting and lovable character in the whole book.
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

I think each person's character in the book was well organized to make it more interesting for readers, it was the negligence of Ed that created more chances to give emphasis on Hillary' strength and weakness.
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I think introducing more characters would make Hillary seem less important. There were a lot of minor characters in this book already, and in my opinion, she was lacking to stand out.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I do believe that supporting characters do make the main one because they exist in the story to shape the main character into his or her final version, which we get to see near the ending.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

I think the characters where explained well according to the writers mission . The build up of each character was good .
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

aacodreanu wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 17:16
AntonelaMaria wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 07:42
I think all side characters served good support to our main protagonists. Now regarding her husband, well I don't know should he participate more. This book is more of Hilary journey.
Plus this book is a sequel and I haven't read the previous book so I can't say...maybe that has something to do with plot in that book. Sure every book even a sequel should stand on its own...which I think this book does. Maybe I would wish for Bridget to have a different fate but that is more of my subjective thought.
My subjective thought too. It seems the author has killed the most interesting and lovable character in the whole book.
I guess I am that hopeful reader always looking for positivity. But on the other hand, I don't see what really her murder brought to the story. Or maybe I didn't find it interesting enough.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

freshbook wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 17:40 I think introducing more characters would make Hillary seem less important. There were a lot of minor characters in this book already, and in my opinion, she was lacking to stand out.
Yes, I think that there were too many side characters too.
KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I felt her husband was not at noticeable in this book as his own character.
Raycheal+2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Raycheal+2020 »

It's possible the author might give Ed a lot more presence in the next series, if there would be such like that.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”