The amusement park and the memorial

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: The amusement park and the memorial

Post by Brenda Creech »

Laura Lee wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 19:30 That's an excellent question. I, too, thought that an amusement park was an odd choice for placing a memorial. I felt like I was supposed to sympathize with Bridgett, but I honestly thought, "Why would you want such a macabre monument in an amusement park??" A town square or a park would be good; even something next to the main church in town. But an amusement park? Naw. That's not only weird but inappropriate, in my opinion.
I know! Bridget was adamant about needing a memorial, and I agreed with that; however, an amusement park was the last place I could picture having a memorial like that!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

bellajavier wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 09:35 Agreed, memorial is supposed to be a somber event, and amusement park goes against everything it portrays. Town square should've been selected.
Thank you. That's what I think too!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

The photo I saw of the famine memorial in Dublin still haunts me, but while it has no place in an amusement park, a compromise could be achieved. A memorial could be erected beside the park but just out of sight of the main entrance, satisfying (almost) everyone.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

IchbineinBerliner wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 09:35 The photo I saw of the famine memorial in Dublin still haunts me, but while it has no place in an amusement park, a compromise could be achieved. A memorial could be erected beside the park but just out of sight of the main entrance, satisfying (almost) everyone.
Yeah, I don't know why that wasn't an option. But somehow I don't think that would have satisfied Bridget.
B. Creech
Reina275
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reina275.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reina275 »

I agree with you! Such a serious and respectful thing was wrong to be done in the amusement park. Kind of disappoints me.
CherylTegan7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryltegan7.html
Latest Review: Robots and Mad Scientists by James Smith⁰

Post by CherylTegan7 »

I agree. I also don't see anyone in an amusement park stopping to pay their respects or reflect.
"Maybe life is just an endless series of rooms with puzzles, and then eventually one of them kills you." Dirk Gently (series 1)
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

:D
B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 17:19 I have thought a lot about whether the type of memorial Bridgett wanted should be put in an amusement park. The memorial to the Irish people who suffered so much was an excellent idea, however, was an amusement park the appropriate place to have it erected? Just curious what others' thoughts are on this. I personally don't think the amusement park was the place to put this type of memorial. I felt it would be better to have it placed in the heart of activity, like a town square, or a park, where tourists and citizens alike would see and appreciate it. What are your thoughts?
Yes! One of the reasons this book did not resonate with me was that even the good guys were unrelatable. Bridget's senseless crusade was the reason I didn't like her. Yes,
buliding a memorial is something to fight about, but not building it inside an amusement park.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

MirageP wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 10:08 :D
B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 17:19 I have thought a lot about whether the type of memorial Bridgett wanted should be put in an amusement park. The memorial to the Irish people who suffered so much was an excellent idea, however, was an amusement park the appropriate place to have it erected? Just curious what others' thoughts are on this. I personally don't think the amusement park was the place to put this type of memorial. I felt it would be better to have it placed in the heart of activity, like a town square, or a park, where tourists and citizens alike would see and appreciate it. What are your thoughts?
Yes! One of the reasons this book did not resonate with me was that even the good guys were unrelatable. Bridget's senseless crusade was the reason I didn't like her. Yes,
buliding a memorial is something to fight about, but not building it inside an amusement park.
Exactly! An amusement park would be on the outskirts of town, a memorial should be where everyone could see it. Not everyone goes to an amusement park!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

CherylTegan7 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 21:36 I agree. I also don't see anyone in an amusement park stopping to pay their respects or reflect.
Especially anyone with children who are excited about getting to ride all the rides!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Reina275 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 18:24 I agree with you! Such a serious and respectful thing was wrong to be done in the amusement park. Kind of disappoints me.
I know, right? I don't know why Bridget was so intent on having it in an amusement park. A memorial was a great idea, it just needed to be put in a proper place. I think it became a power struggle between Bridget and Dermot!
B. Creech
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

Although I fully understand Bridget's sentiment behind having the memorial inside the amusement park, I feel a separate memorial garden/park would have been better. Yes it probably would be seen more inside the amusement park, but the sombre meaning behind it would not be suitable for such a place.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

The idea of having an amusement park is where people can go to relax and have fun.

Putting the memorial there is like a commemoration of the reason why you have such park to enjoy. I believe it is okay to place it there as a lot of people would visit the park and see it, and at the other hand they get to be reminded of what happened. To be grateful.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

cpru68 wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 08:33 Having it separated from the amusement park would bring greater impact. Otherwise, visitors would glance at it and rush off to something else. Putting it out on its own display would cause people to stop and understand the significance of the memorial.
I agree, it would have been better outside of an amusement park. I also thought that maybe she was trying to put it in there because the developer could easily afford to erect it and it would not need to be built with taxes and additional funds, and the developer would have to deal with the red tape, but that was what Bridget did and she was independently wealthy, so she could have put it elsewhere and made it more respectful. That's what I think.😳😳
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I agree with you as I don't feel that the best place for this memorial would have been in an amusement park. The town square or somewhere else would have been a better choice for the memorial. I would have liked the author to expand more as to why Bridget wanted the memorial at the park.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

Although erecting a memorial is a great idea, I dont think an amusement part would be the place to put it. People who are going to an amusement part aren't interested in learning sad history. It would be more appropriate in a museum or something like that where people who are actually interested in learning about it would go.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”