The amusement park and the memorial

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Re: The amusement park and the memorial

Post by Fazzier »

freshbook wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 17:37 I don't think it should have been put in a theme park. Maybe as a memorial off to the side near the entrance, but not in the heart of a theme park.
This is a brilliant idea. I agree with you. Having it at the side but near the amusement park would give it visibility so that those who are interested in going to the memorial establishment instead, or too, would conveniently do so.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Katie Canedy wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 15:09 No, I think that it should have been put someone that people will appreciate it. Now, I cannot say for sure that this may not have worked. In Disney World, there is much history throughout the parks where they tell you how others suffered to get where we are now. It is sort of secluded though; it is not the focus. But, indeed, most people do not even glance at these parts and it would probably have been appropriate to put the memorial in a place outside the park but is still close enough for people to visit.
I agree with you. Some may still find an amusement park to be a convenient place for locating a memorial. This applies especially to those who're interested in both.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I completely agree. It was hard for me to wrap my idea around that concept of the memorial at a theme park. It didn’t seem like the appropriate place and felt like the amusement park was outshine such a beautiful memorial.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Echo Haapala wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 15:32 I completely agree. It was hard for me to wrap my idea around that concept of the memorial at a theme park. It didn’t seem like the appropriate place and felt like the amusement park was outshine such a beautiful memorial.
Exactly! The excitement of the amusement park would have taken away the solemnness of the memorial too.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

I'm in agreement with @vermontelf that adults bringing children to the park would be open to an exhibition that might suit their own interests better. But, I really struggled to find it credible that a compromise couldn't be reached on the matter.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I struggled with this too because I thought the memorial was a great idea, just not in an amusement park. I had to keep telling myself that the author seems to want the reader to picture a Disneyland park like Epcot—a place for fun with cultural relevance. Even then, it’s been a loooong time since I’ve been to Epcot but I don’t remember anything that depressing or somber in the park.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Fazzier wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 23:25
freshbook wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 17:37 I don't think it should have been put in a theme park. Maybe as a memorial off to the side near the entrance, but not in the heart of a theme park.
This is a brilliant idea. I agree with you. Having it at the side but near the amusement park would give it visibility so that those who are interested in going to the memorial establishment instead, or too, would conveniently do so.
It is a much better idea than putting it in the park!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

mary-annef wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 03:21 I'm in agreement with @vermontelf that adults bringing children to the park would be open to an exhibition that might suit their own interests better. But, I really struggled to find it credible that a compromise couldn't be reached on the matter.
Exactly! I think it just became a power struggle between Bridget and Dermot, and neither of them was willing to negotiate!
B. Creech
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

[quote="B Creech" post_id=1354381 time=1583273998 user_id=1236408]
I have thought a lot about whether the type of memorial Bridgett wanted should be put in an amusement park. The memorial to the Irish people who suffered so much was an excellent idea, however, was an amusement park the appropriate place to have it erected? Just curious what others' thoughts are on this. I personally don't think the amusement park was the place to put this type of memorial. I felt it would be better to have it placed in the heart of activity, like a town square, or a park, where tourists and citizens alike would see and appreciate it. What are your thoughts?
[/quote]
I think I agree with you. It is quite disrespectful to put such type of memorial in an amusement park. Places like public squares would be better.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

J_odoyo wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 00:01
B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 17:19 I have thought a lot about whether the type of memorial Bridgett wanted should be put in an amusement park. The memorial to the Irish people who suffered so much was an excellent idea, however, was an amusement park the appropriate place to have it erected? Just curious what others' thoughts are on this. I personally don't think the amusement park was the place to put this type of memorial. I felt it would be better to have it placed in the heart of activity, like a town square, or a park, where tourists and citizens alike would see and appreciate it. What are your thoughts?
I think I agree with you. It is quite disrespectful to put such type of memorial in an amusement park. Places like public squares would be better.
Thank you! When I think of a memorial I think of a calm, quiet area where people can reflect on what they are seeing and reading about their ancestors.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 19:19 I struggled with this too because I thought the memorial was a great idea, just not in an amusement park. I had to keep telling myself that the author seems to want the reader to picture a Disneyland park like Epcot—a place for fun with cultural relevance. Even then, it’s been a loooong time since I’ve been to Epcot but I don’t remember anything that depressing or somber in the park.
You're right, I don't remember anything like that at Epcot either. Epcot was more generalized history if I remember correctly! Talk about it being a loooong time! :D
B. Creech
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

The more I think about it the more I think that is stupid how they didn't come to an understanding of the matter.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 08:23 The more I think about it the more I think that is stupid how they didn't come to an understanding of the matter.
You're right, it was! If they had come to an agreement Bridget wouldn't have lost her life. It would have been a completely different story!
B. Creech
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B Creech wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 15:48
AntonelaMaria wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 08:23 The more I think about it the more I think that is stupid how they didn't come to an understanding of the matter.
You're right, it was! If they had come to an agreement Bridget wouldn't have lost her life. It would have been a completely different story!
A story I would like more. I know that i+amusment part is a huge part of the story but after Bridget dies I didn't care about that part and kind of becomes irrelevant.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Gifted Soul wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 04:39
ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:51 I think if it was designed just right, the memorial and the amusement park could co-exist. People drawn in for the fun of the park may take the time to view the memorial and exhibit and have their eyes opened to Ireland's past. This may help educate people who wouldn't typically dig into the history on their own. The exhibit may even inspire people to dig into the history more on their own, and visit other museums.
I agree that the geographical location of the monument has a psychological impact on the tourists and visitors that will visit the amusement park. Like someone said, they will be reminded to appreciate all that they have.
Perhaps, they really will be reminded to appreciate all that they have. However, such a monument in an amusement park is a very strange idea. A square or a quiet, garden-like park is the best place.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”