History and Mystery

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Re: History and Mystery

Post by praise+anyi »

Even though I knew practicaly nothing about the history of Ireland, everything felt so true & real. I must confess that the author did a brilliant job, and the story perfectly told.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I have never been to Ireland, neither did I know much about the country, but somehow, I feel I received a very clear picture about Ireland. The descriptions the author gave were so realistic. Maybe I'll have to travel there someday.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I thought all the Irish history was well researched. The instances where they talked about all the hunger and emigration taught me a lot.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Not knowing much about Irish folklore I loved that it was weaved seamlessly into the mystery. it made me want to go learn more and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the author clearly did extensive research before trying to add it to the mystery.
Spencer Mack
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

With the way the writer portrayed the history of Ireland, to me it is a beautiful place to visit some time in the future and will be glad to have a first-hand experience.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

Having never visited Ireland, I didn't really know anything about the country other than movies. But I felt that it was well written and I could see what the author was talking about. I wouldn't have been able to catch if anything was wrong though
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Namaste23 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 19:00 I thought all the Irish history was well researched. The instances where they talked about all the hunger and emigration taught me a lot.
spencermack wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 10:29 Not knowing much about Irish folklore I loved that it was weaved seamlessly into the mystery. it made me want to go learn more and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the author clearly did extensive research before trying to add it to the mystery.
SophiaNd wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 13:37 With the way the writer portrayed the history of Ireland, to me it is a beautiful place to visit some time in the future and will be glad to have a first-hand experience.
Amanda Newton wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 20:11 Having never visited Ireland, I didn't really know anything about the country other than movies. But I felt that it was well written and I could see what the author was talking about. I wouldn't have been able to catch if anything was wrong though
The history that the author wove into the story and mystery did seem to be accurate, well-researched, and well-written (and I've read a LOT about Ireland). It told a slightly more in-depth version that we generally get in seventh-grade history class and added to our knowledge of those events. I haven't visited Ireland yet either (the operative word there is yet) but hope to one day. I sincerely hope it is a beautiful a land as the author described to us. Thank you all for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Musk doaab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musk-doaab.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Musk doaab »

It seems like Ireland is a good place for murder mysteries. Another novel i read, whose name i don't remember now was about a murder mystery writer coming to Ireland for his new book. As fascinating as it sounds, i often wonder if real Ireland would be like its legend.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I truly don't know much about Irish history, but from what I do know, I truly feel that June Gilliam was accurate with her details in her book. I am glad that she included as much history as she did, but that it was not a history book.
Carolreads30
Currently Reading:

Post by Carolreads30 »

Namaste23 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 19:00 I thought all the Irish history was well researched. The instances where they talked about all the hunger and emigration taught me a lot.
I never realized that there was such a crisis in Ireland that it led to hunger and starvation. I was taught some as well.
Carolreads30
Currently Reading:

Post by Carolreads30 »

Musk doaab wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 14:55 It seems like Ireland is a good place for murder mysteries. Another novel i read, whose name i don't remember now was about a murder mystery writer coming to Ireland for his new book. As fascinating as it sounds, i often wonder if real Ireland would be like its legend.
I believe that the legends in Ireland is exactly why it is a good place for murder mysteries. I don't know that Ireland would be like it's legend, but the legend is what makes it such a hot spot on the bucket list of many people.
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 23:20 As a long time student of every aspect of Ireland, I have read anything and everything I could get my hands on about the country. I was delighted with the authenticity the author displayed when describing the country. I was equally as pleased with the way she was able to work in the mystery aspect while still staying respectfully true to Irish history and tragedies. She really seems to have done her homework! Based on what you read in the book, do you think (as I do) the author was successful in her realistic depiction of Ireland and its history? Why or why not? What parts of the book made you feel that way?
You are right. The author put in a lot of work and research in this book, and it's evident by the authenticity of her descriptions. I enjoyed the book.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I have never read anything about Ireland before now. I don't think I even know anything about it. But after reading the book with it's realistic description of houses and traditions, I feel like I know little about the country and it's people. The author did a beautiful job.
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

I love history, and probably among the reasons I love this book, but I most confess am I have no idea of the Irish people. I believe this will challenge me to read more especially about the Ireland
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that the author did a great job with the book because of the way that she described the country physical features like the sea worn cliffs and the rolling green hills. I also liked that the author described the beautiful architecture of the country like its majestic castles and religious sculptures. The focus on Catholicism is another aspect that is important to the development of the country and its culture even as it has changed politically.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”