Seamus

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Re: Seamus

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Bad guy. I mean, we are all flawed as humans and we fall into a spectrum but if I had to classify him, I would say bad guy. If he truly loved Bridget he wouldn't have endangered her and his fake kidnapping of Claire was creepy and dangerous.
Kevsona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevsona.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kevsona »

he might have thought he loved Bridget, but he really didn't do anything to protect her. He should have risked her being angry with him to save her life. He loved her money.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I hated Seamus, a complete snake. His claims that he loved Bridget felt halfhearted. You cannot love someone then knowingly have them in danger. Money meant more to him. I don't think he knew what love was.
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

I agree with you. In the end, greed took over and he went from not too bad to very bad.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Sonasteve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sonasteve »

He loved Bridget, and as a bad guy he wanted his cut of money for the amusement park. As a greedy person he was more focused on getting his money even though he knew Bridget could be in danger.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

If Seamus was not a bad guy, then a bad guy was Seamus. The guy had a lot of flaws in his character. Actually he reminded a verse in the Bible that, "the love of money is the root of all evils." You could easily tell that he didn't care about Bridget at all; he was only interested on how to get the money and I believe that's what he could think about everyday.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Zaddy_007
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaddy-007.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zaddy_007 »

I really hated this character, he was arrogant and greedy. He was too lazy and unable to protect Bridget, a lady he loves.
VictorKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by VictorKE »

Seamus was very greedy.He did not care about Bridget's well-being. His focus only aimed at how he could get some cash.This made me to hate him from my heart
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I think he liked the idea of loving Bridget but I think it was a relationship that was more a way for him to keep an eye on his investment and that he didn't really love her at all. I didn't like him from the beginning and I sure didn't change that opinion as the book went on.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

While he might have acted as a foil and that was his purpose, I didn’t really like his character. He made even simple things unnecessarily complicated.
vagrimes
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vagrimes.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by vagrimes »

I was confused by Seamus' actions. At one point I sympathized with him since he loved Bridget so much, but overall felt he was right to view himself as a coward for not being able to stand up to Dermot and reveal how deep he was in Dermot's pocket. It also felt out of character to me when he jumped out of the tower. He seemed too in control of his emotions to become unhinged that easily. It felt more like a convenient end to the book than a realistic conclusion.
Nessa_girl78
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessa-girl78.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nessa_girl78 »

I did not care for the character of Seamus. I had a bad feeling about him from the beginning. I really tried to like him, but it just didn't work. :(
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I guess I did not really understand his character, but he does not seem particularly likeable
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

I felt Seamus wasn't developed enough. We could have seen a lot more anguish at the decisions he was making - they were massive calls!

I can understand he fell into money and greed, yet he flip-flopped from trying to protect Bridget to not and his plans to protect Bridget weren't very credible.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:38 I felt pity for Seamus. His character is so wounded by his past family history, he never musters the courage to move beyond that and be the different person that Bridgett saw in him.
I agree with you. I can understand some of his unraveling, and I feel sorry for him. I don't think that I can outright say that I disliked him as a character, and actually, I think he was one of the more understandable characters of the group. His relationship with his parents, his inferiority complex to his brother, and him feeling like his sanity was slipping away as he was losing the one he loved but felt like he couldn't do anything about it all make decent psychological sense to me. I do think his character was slightly mistreated at the end of the book, as I didn't really see his actions being logical. And I get the feeling that the author was trying to show that he was losing his mind and just looking for an out in all of this, but I don't think that it was built up well-enough nor was it wrapped-up well.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”