What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Post by cpru68 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 07:52
Wamakima wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 00:50
AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 08:51 I liked the setting of the story in Ireland and all the inclusion of myths and history. My least favorite was the murder mystery I guess it just wasn't something that I enjoyed in this book as much I thought I would.
I haven't read it but I think I would enjoy it. It seems to add more flavor to the narrative.
I hope you enjoy it. There is certainly an interesting narrative. Happy reading!
I thought this book was a great pick for the month of March with St. Patrick's Day and all...especially with the setting being in Ireland. :)
Everything happens for a reason...
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

The sincere relationship between Hillary and claire was my favourite part of the story.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Veraok wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 17:26 The sincere relationship between Hillary and claire was my favourite part of the story.
For a character who had struggled with abandonment from her own mom, it was a lot different than I thought it would be. And including her in the trip to study family history seemed to show that Hillary wanted to make that an important piece in Claire's life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate it.
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

My least favorite part of the story was when Bridget was murdered. It was very sad overall. There was a lot of build-up to her death, but when it finally came, the details were very anti-climatic.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

cpru68 wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 13:46
AntonelaMaria wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 07:52
Wamakima wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 00:50

I haven't read it but I think I would enjoy it. It seems to add more flavor to the narrative.
I hope you enjoy it. There is certainly an interesting narrative. Happy reading!
I thought this book was a great pick for the month of March with St. Patrick's Day and all...especially with the setting being in Ireland. :)
Oh boy...Now I feel like an idiot not getting the connections between March and Ireland and beloved st. Patrick's day
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

freshbook wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 16:38 My least favorite part of the story was when Bridget was murdered. It was very sad overall. There was a lot of build-up to her death, but when it finally came, the details were very anti-climatic.
I would choose that too. It just was overlooked with other side plotlines...
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I always appreciate when a work of fiction provides readers with a map. I liked the author's inclusion of a map at the beginning of this book. Even as he was talking about places like Galway, I had had relative locations of those places embedded in my mind. On the other hand, I couldn't find anything to dislike about this book.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I also liked how well the author developed and depicted the characters. I instantly liked Claire. She is full of energy, curious, and seemingly bright. I greatly enjoyed the moments she was featured in.
Raycheal+2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Raycheal+2020 »

My favorite moments where the stories related to Irish history and culture. It was more like a tutorial class for history. I love it when I read a book and learn something new.

Also my favorite moments where Hillary and Claire boneing moments. A refreshing thing to watch.
Linda Ozioma Adiele
Currently Reading: Blue Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oziafricana.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B002Y27P46

Post by Linda Ozioma Adiele »

I didn't like how I moved from an admiration to a loathing of Seamus' character. He was such a greedy one and even when he knew his lover was in danger, he kept up the ruse. I agonised over the child that was left alone when the parents rushed off after a thief/killer.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

freshbook wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 16:38 My least favorite part of the story was when Bridget was murdered. It was very sad overall. There was a lot of build-up to her death, but when it finally came, the details were very anti-climatic.
I agree with you on that one as well. I was actually so surprised that it happened. I thought maybe it was going to be one of those things where we were led to believe it was going to happen, and then it wouldn't. I was surprised by it and left feeling conflicted by it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate it. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Fazzier wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 00:09 I always appreciate when a work of fiction provides readers with a map. I liked the author's inclusion of a map at the beginning of this book. Even as he was talking about places like Galway, I had had relative locations of those places embedded in my mind. On the other hand, I couldn't find anything to dislike about this book.
I thought the author did a great job with the setting too. It's always nice to have a visual included, especially if one has never been there. Glad you enjoyed the book, and I appreciate your comments! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Fazzier wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 00:15 I also liked how well the author developed and depicted the characters. I instantly liked Claire. She is full of energy, curious, and seemingly bright. I greatly enjoyed the moments she was featured in.
She was portrayed really well too, I thought. Especially when she got her hair caught on the plane. Been there, done that! Thank you again for the insightful comments. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Raycheal+2020 wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:16 My favorite moments where the stories related to Irish history and culture. It was more like a tutorial class for history. I love it when I read a book and learn something new.

Also my favorite moments where Hillary and Claire boneing moments. A refreshing thing to watch.
I agree with you. I learned a lot about Ireland while reading this as well. It is nice to pick up a book for one reason and actually get some education from it as well. Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate it. :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Oziafricana wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 13:49 I didn't like how I moved from an admiration to a loathing of Seamus' character. He was such a greedy one and even when he knew his lover was in danger, he kept up the ruse. I agonised over the child that was left alone when the parents rushed off after a thief/killer.
I agonized right along with you! I kept thinking..who cares about the killer! Somebody look after Claire! I said this on another post, but Seamus was like Judas out of the Bible. Looks at someone who he loves and then betrays her. That's a person fully possessed by greed, I tell you. Thank you for your comments and for sharing them with me. I appreciate it. :)

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”