heritage & mothers

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: heritage & mothers

Post by Dannyphery »

I felt Hillary was scared of repeating the cycle of what she had with her mother... I think it helped her to tread with caution in her dealings and this actually made her a better mother.
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

Our past experiences always have a way of reflecting in our present decisions and actions as it did to Hilary and her relationship with her daughter.
Purti10
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purti10.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Purti10 »

I think Hillary's relationship with her mother reflected a lot in her relationship with her daughter. Every time something happened with Claire the thought of her mother popped in her mind. She always compared herself with her mother thinking if she was doing right or not.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I think that a lot of times parents think of things their parents did wrong and try to do better. Sometimes, it works... Sometimes, it doesn't. I agree that flaws like these can make a character really relatable and seem more like a person than just words on a page.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

Definitively, the upbringing and the learning that can be obtained from the mother is important, but always the human being has the opportunity to reason and decide not to make the mistakes of their parents and try to make the children even better.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

I feel as though Hillary was very involved with Claire due to the horrible way her mom left her when she was a child. Hillary was extra careful with making sure that Claire knew she was loved and very important. It was a fabulous way to showcase a relationship with the two of them.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

You know, everyone has history and this affects us whether negatively or positively. It's either we are trying to avoid repeating it or doing something so we have a better experience. I think that was what happened to Hilary. Her past experiences have made her into this person we see. I do not actually blame her.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that for many adults who grow up in dysfunctional households they think of themselves as inadequate especially when it comes to having relationships. When you are abandoned at an early age, you feel like you are unlovable and you crave someone to love you no matter what. I think that it requires a lot of internal reflection and courage to fight against your past in order to create a brighter future.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Gifted Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifted-soul.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Gifted Soul »

Hillary's responsibility is an exemplary display of how we are not defined by our past. She basically defied the odds and became the best mother Claire would wish for.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

praise+anyi wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 12:40 When mistakes happen in any area of our lives, we pick up our lessons and improve on them in order to avoid repeating such mistakes. Hillary was abandoned, and with that consciousness she tried as much as possible to build a better relationship with her daughter.

Yes there were times when it seemed like her actions weren't matching her words, but we should understand that we are humans full of imperfections.
And that is what I think too. Our imperfections are what make us human. Her wish to do better is what defines her a good mother.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Purti10 wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 18:44 I think Hillary's relationship with her mother reflected a lot in her relationship with her daughter. Every time something happened with Claire the thought of her mother popped in her mind. She always compared herself with her mother thinking if she was doing right or not.
Do you think that is something we do a lot...as humans always competing and comparing with others? She did it in a good way, she did better. I know people who justify their bad behavior as "well I didn't do as bad as such and such person"!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Laurina_Olowo wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 09:00 You know, everyone has history and this affects us whether negatively or positively. It's either we are trying to avoid repeating it or doing something so we have a better experience. I think that was what happened to Hilary. Her past experiences have made her into this person we see. I do not actually blame her.
I don't blame her either. As a matter of fact, that makes her more relatable.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Katherine Smith wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 17:23 I think that for many adults who grow up in dysfunctional households they think of themselves as inadequate especially when it comes to having relationships. When you are abandoned at an early age, you feel like you are unlovable and you crave someone to love you no matter what. I think that it requires a lot of internal reflection and courage to fight against your past in order to create a brighter future.
What a great point. You are absolutely right. I mean we forget these inner demons we often fight each and single day or for a long time. She is a fighter. And without the doubt very courageous.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

spencermack wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 10:30
AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 04:52 How do you think that Hillary’s mother leaving her reflected on her own relationship with her daughter? How often do we fight our past experiences trying to be free of repeating same old mistakes?

This book gained depth trough the theme of heritage and family. It made Hillary more real and relatable character to me. Her struggles are realistic. I could understand her issues with being hesitant about more children and feeling inadequate. Those are such human doubts and especially with mothers.
It made her even better mother in my eyes because she tries so much with everything she knows.
Constantly fight our past to try and create what we want. Many people give up the fight and give into a cycle of family and circumstance.
I guess it is true. Many people choose the easier road.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I think that we all worry about repeating act8that we feel hurt us or those around us. This makes it a logical part of the character 's actions.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”