Claire

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Claire

Post by tanner87cbs »

I hate to be that guy, but Claire's character really annoyed me personally. I thought she was portrayed with the characteristics of a younger child than she was. Maybe I am jaded for raising a 7-year-old girl and trying to get her to stop acting like she is 2 at time :).
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

Claire was my favorite character easily. I don't know if I found her to be humorous, but she was definitely a good switch up from the main themes.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

The presence of a vibrant child such as Claire does make the story seem lively, so I believe that it does add humour to the story, which is the main source of liveliness.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I agree she had a great sense of humor and she is one of the best characters I’ve come across.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

tanner87cbs wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 10:54 I hate to be that guy, but Claire's character really annoyed me personally. I thought she was portrayed with the characteristics of a younger child than she was. Maybe I am jaded for raising a 7-year-old girl and trying to get her to stop acting like she is 2 at time :).
Man, you are that guy... :lol2: but sure it easier to be enamored with fictional child character. You are definitely protecting. No hard feeling though...
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Raycheal+2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Raycheal+2020 »

Claire's character made the book lively. She added that touch of genuine childishness and humor.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I completely agree. She was definitely the much needed “light” in an eerie tale.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

I think that generally Claire's character was portrayed as age-appropriate. But I think she was a little too willing to be left in the care of strangers and, in my experience, children of that age are quick to pick up on their caregiver's anxiety and stress. I found Clarie's character less convincing from the point where Sarah is murdered. I think a normal child would have become clingy and reluctant to leave her mother. Even if they're too young to truly comprehend death, they would still have a lot of questions.
Linda Ozioma Adiele
Currently Reading: Blue Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oziafricana.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B002Y27P46

Post by Linda Ozioma Adiele »

I might be the odd ball but Claire's character for me was at times not realistic for a 7 year old. I didn't find her total trust of Seamus at the end credible. From a game of hide and seek, she follows him, with no fear, all the way to the castle and even when she hears her mother's voice and the terror below, she responds like it is still a game when obviously her life was at stake.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoyed Claire and I was thrilled to see her character growth through the story. I loved how in the end she wanted to do what Grannie Sarah had suggested and donate her hair. It was a super sweet moment at the end of the book.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

tanner87cbs wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 10:54 I hate to be that guy, but Claire's character really annoyed me personally. I thought she was portrayed with the characteristics of a younger child than she was. Maybe I am jaded for raising a 7-year-old girl and trying to get her to stop acting like she is 2 at time :).
I enjoyed most of her antics, but the Maaa thing drove me nuts.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 19:14
I enjoyed most of her antics, but the Maaa thing drove me nuts.
Oh yeah, I really disliked that Maaa thing too. I know that for the author that was important but for me it came across annoying.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Oziafricana wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 12:36 I might be the odd ball but Claire's character for me was at times not realistic for a 7 year old. I didn't find her total trust of Seamus at the end credible. From a game of hide and seek, she follows him, with no fear, all the way to the castle and even when she hears her mother's voice and the terror below, she responds like it is still a game when obviously her life was at stake.
Great point. The more I think about it, you are right. In general, kids are shy, maybe Claire is the exemption to that rule.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Claire is a wonderfully written character. Her childlike curiosity and enthusiasm during their travels contrasting with the shock and resilience displayed by the child at the loss of a loved one are very realistically portrayed. Her attachment to her "Punzey" doll and her fascination with Rapunzel is very entertaining and contributes to the lighter moments in the story.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 02:03 The character of Claire while refreshing and realistic, was vital to the plot by her constant mannerism and childlike behaviour. I found that she was the main source of humour in the story with naming her repunzel doll "Punzey", referring to Hillary as "Maaaa", and many of her mannerisms.
What are your thoughts on Claire? Do you agree that she was the main source of humour in the story?
I really liked her spunky, unique nature. The fact that she likes ghost stories as much as she likes fairy tales made her that much more interesting. She seemed like such a little adult at times, but there were also several moments when you knew she was still a child.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”