The Ending

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

The Ending

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The book has a lot of mystery and subplots in the beginning which made for an amazing story. By the end of the book, many of these subplot and mysteries started winding down. I felt like though not all of the subplots were wraped up to my liking, the author did an amazing job wrapping up the mysteries.
Did you feel that the author did a successful job in wraping up all the mysteries in the book and the subplots?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Near the end I wondered if I was missing something because the author seemed in a hurry to wrap things up after spending so many pages building things up. After finishing the novel I was curious to see what other readers thought about a pacing that seemed uneven to me. I admit it's not the kind of novel I usually read, so my perception might be wrong.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

My only complaint about the ending is that it seemed too predictable. The story ended pretty much like I imagined it would. But it didn't diminish how much I liked the book. It was wonderful!!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Yes. I thought the story felt complete by the end. Yet, it left the door open for the next book. I have not read the rest of the series, but I found myself easily able to read this without knowing all the rest of the backstory. I generally don’t enjoy books of this nature, but I liked it.
Everything happens for a reason...
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I agree, it seemed complete but it did leave room for return trips to Ireland and mysteries to solve.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I felt the loose ends had been tied up pretty well. Maybe not with a neat little bow, but I believe that was done deliberately to leave the door open for sequels.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I didn't feel like the ghost dolls were explained very well, except to scare Bridget. But, who actually did that and why gather them all up if not used to solve the mystery? The ending wrapped up most of the mysteries but did seem rushed and too tidy.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I was a little disappointed with the end of the book. It really didn't feel like a mystery at all, like we all knew that was exactly who it was. And then the randomness of Seamus's breakdown as well. I wish there was a bit more of a twist. The backstory of the main "villain" was a bit unexpected, but it really didn't help or change the story.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 06:02 Near the end I wondered if I was missing something because the author seemed in a hurry to wrap things up after spending so many pages building things up. After finishing the novel I was curious to see what other readers thought about a pacing that seemed uneven to me. I admit it's not the kind of novel I usually read, so my perception might be wrong.

Yes, me as well. I had been listening to it as an audiobook and so I thought I might have somehow skipped ahead. I went back through the last chapters and re-listened. I was a bit disappointed, about feeling rushed and a little incomplete or too easy.
Bothofus07
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bothofus07.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Bothofus07 »

I enjoyed the story and felt part of the mystery...until everything was just suddenly exposed and wrapped up. It felt rushed and anticlimactic.
It was still an enjoyable story, and beautifully written.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I liked this book but I didn't particularly like the ending. The author did leave the door open for the next book, which I expected, but it just somehow didn't seem finished.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I wish there would have been more about how she found out where her mother was. It was like all of a sudden she just knew where she was. I thought the ending was a little odd where Claire basically goes off with a stranger and doesn't seem to be frightened and Seamus jumps off the building! It was unpredictable because it was so random.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I felt that the ending was wrapped up pretty well. However, I think the author could have spent more time at the end letting the reader down a little easier. I also like the allusion to the next book at the end. I really enjoyed these characters and am glad it is a series.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Until I read this book,I cant answer most of this questions but I will revisit once am done reading.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 01:48 The book has a lot of mystery and subplots in the beginning which made for an amazing story. By the end of the book, many of these subplot and mysteries started winding down. I felt like though not all of the subplots were wraped up to my liking, the author did an amazing job wrapping up the mysteries.
Did you feel that the author did a successful job in wraping up all the mysteries in the book and the subplots?
I like the story and the ending. It is satisfying to me as a reader. I liked how the theme of motherhood and Hilary's struggles with being a mother gave the author base for continuing the series.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”