Favorite character in the story

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Re: Favorite character in the story

Post by Harty »

I thought Claire was admirable because of her likeness in terms of character with the fairy character of Rapunzel. It's possible she was living her favorite character's life.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

cpru68 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:50 My favorite character in the story was Hillary. She was struggling with past mistakes and issues of abandonment, but seemed to be trying to forge ahead to make a good home as a wife, mother and ghost writer.
:)
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html

Post by GPM »

Helene_2008 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 21:56 Bridget was probably my favorite character. I liked how she fought for her cause and didn't give up despite the threats. I also appreciate that she rejected the marriage proposal from Seamus because she wanted a proper one!
I like this kind of person.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

I am fond of Sarah. Really liked her elderly wisdom, reminds me about my beloved grandmother a lot. Never fails to bring smile on my face.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

Claire was my best character. She was very particular about that hair of hers. I feel she was the most realistic character. She behaved like a child she was the whole time. I had a little empathy for Hillary though. She was a really strong character.
Leah M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-m.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Leah M »

Claire is my favorite character in the story. She is authentic and brings a refreshing twist to the story.
richardwille1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richardwille1.html
Latest Review: Grit & Granite by Katherine Lee Johnson

Post by richardwille1 »

Hillary was definitely my favorite character. In my opinion, she was a loving mother and wife and showed great character in times of struggle. She stood out to me.
ewanii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewanii.html
Latest Review: Two Months and Three Days by Tatiana Vedenska

Post by ewanii »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 01:43 The book has a lote of well-developed and realistic characters who are perfect for enhancing the plot. I enjoyed the amazingly realistic character of Claire which combined childish enthusaiasm with appropriate behaviours like whining, tears, and a fierce reluctance to have her long hair cut.
Who was your favorite character in the story and why?
My favorite character is Claire. She's so loving and cute that she just makes the books so much more enjoyable!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

There are a few good characters in the story, but I think Hilary stood out the most, especially with how she dealt with her mistakes and moved ahead in her life.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I really liked Sarah and Ed. Sarah just seemed to be the most supportive and reminds me a lot of my Grans best friend who is more part of our family than her own. Ed was a supportive husband and amazing Dad but was also very realistic. I liked that about him.
Mehwish Qaiser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehwish-qaiser.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Mehwish Qaiser »

My favorite character is Claire, she is an amazingly well developed character for is perfect for enhancing the plot of the book, her childlike behavior is most entertaining and fun but don't mistake this for innocence, she is a fierce cat woman on the inside :lol: :wink:
WildFern
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildfern.html
Latest Review: So You're Not Supermom....It's OK! by JN Supermom

Post by WildFern »

wendilou49 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 15:07 This has to be Claire. She's so full of love and questions, and she so loves her parents and Sarah, it's very touching and heart warming
I agree with you; Claire was my favourite for this reason as well. She really touched my heart with her adorable and loving persona.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

My favourite character in this story has to be Hilary. She was struggling with past mistakes and issues of abandonment and how to rise above it. She also seemed resilient in becoming a better wife and mother.
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Princepetr »

I will choose Sarah. The writer developed her role so well. She served as a backbone Hillary. She's an old woman with great attitude and strength.
Reviewer1969
Currently Reading: Avatar: The Last Airbender-North and South
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer1969.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by Reviewer1969 »

Kaylee123 wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 13:13
cpru68 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:50 My favorite character in the story was Hillary. She was struggling with past mistakes and issues of abandonment, but seemed to be trying to forge ahead to make a good home as a wife, mother and ghost writer.
It's interesting to hear you say that. For me, Hillary was my least favorite part of the book. I found her to be obsessive and paranoid. I thought she was obsessed with her heritage, obsessed with being abandoned, obsessed with being a good mother, and constantly paranoid something bad would happen. Also, for someone so obsessed with being a good mother, I thought she made some dumb decisions. Like staying in Ireland, for example. If she really wanted Claire to be safe she should have taken her home.

I think differing opinions are what makes reading interesting, though. It would be boring if everyone had the same opinion.
I think her erratic, obsessive behavior could be part of what makes her character so interesting and nuanced. If anything to me this makes her the most realistic with such a need to fit her ideals of what she had to be (which aren't bad ideals in theory since we can all agree wanting to be a good mom isn't a bad thing) but then putting too much of an emphasis on achieving that standard and causing a surplus of other problems. To me her character reminded me to have balance in my life and with my ideals. So, I related to and rooted for her the most out of the other characters for her flaws.

But yes, I 100% agree with your statement about this discussion and variation of opinions makes reading worthwhile. If we didn't disagree or have varying opinions what would be the point of talking about them!

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”