Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the March 2020 Book of the month, House of Eire, A Hillary Broome Novel, by June Gillam

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

Ii enjoyed reading this book. I loved the intermingling of Irish history and folklore with a good mystery! I loved the relationships in this book, especially Hillary's with her daughter Claire. They were so sweet and honest with each other. The beginning of this book was a little slow. Too much time getting ready to go instead of going and doing. I rated House of Eire 3 it of 4 stars because of the slow take off. I liked to get pulled into a story right away!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I gave this book 4 our of 4 stars. It wasn’t a perfect read but everything worked out well. It has only one grammar mistake - that I could find. I liked the themes of motherhood, family and heritage mixed with Irish folklore. It fitted well with murder mystery. It took me longer to connect with it which maybe is do to the fact that this is third book in the series. Recommend it to the fans of murder mystery with some myths tales incorporated in it and cast of interesting female characters.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

It is a great story, and it includes some interesting history lessons about the country of Ireland. I liked the historical facts included in the story. My favorite line in the book was when Bridget said, “A famine is when there isn’t enough food. ‘A Great Hunger’ is what it really was. Thousands were forced to starve.” Bridget felt like the people of Ireland deserved to know the truth behind the suffering and anguish the country had been through.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I gave this a 3 out of 4. I really enjoyed how this author had the main character having dreams of her mother, and she uses this as a bit of a string to keep us moving along with that character's development. I also thought the way that the scenes of Ireland were described was great. If the author has never been there, it sure seemed like she has. There were a couple of things that I found slightly off-putting, like leaving Claire alone in a bed sleeping while Hilary knows there is a murderer running loose. Overall, though, by the end, I wanted to read the next one as Hilary's hunt for family history continues. I don't know many people who like cozy mysteries, so I don't know who I would tell to read it, but I will send it out on my social media for others to look into.
Everything happens for a reason...
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am still in the progress of reading it, but so far, I have found the dreams that Hillary has been having quite intriguing, and I have a feeling that they are going to play a significant role in the whole book. I am hoping to travel to Ireland in the next little while and hopefully find some information on my ancestors, so this book definitely came at the right time.

I am enjoying her close-knit relationship with Hillary and Clare and the dynamic between her and her husband.
I am giving it a 4 out of 4 stars.
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Njkinny »

I just started and I am so hopeful about this one. I love Irish folklore based books and add mystery to it, and this is the perfect recipe for entertainment for me.

Hillary is a character that will resonate with many of us. Her having these intriguing dreams is having me all amped up to follow her on her adventure.
Njkinny :techie-reference:
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

I am yet to read. The reviews and comments all seem to point to a great read. I am unsure how I'll feel about the slow start. Do I need to start the beginning of the series to get the story?
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed the characters and the story. I liked reading about Hillary following around Claire and Sarah through Ireland. I thought all the characters felt like real people. I just wish the action had started a little sooner in the book. I felt like it took a long time for anything other than just a vacation in Ireland to happen.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I am yet to pick this book up, but the reviews have been persuasive. So far, I know Hillary is the character that most readers have loved. I havent read much about Irish Folklore so it would be interesting to read about that alongside a murder mystery.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I enjoyed reading this book. My favorite part was Claire. I loved getting her childish point of view. I found it refreshing. I also liked how she referred to her doll as "Punzey" and called her mother "Maaa." Those were cute details to include about her. My least favorite part of the book was actually Hillary. I found her extremely annoying. Even though I disliked her though, there were enough other characters I liked and the plot moved along quickly. So, I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I would rate this a 3 out of 4 since the starting of the story might persuade others to be disinterested in reading it. I like Claire the most and I think the characteristics of every individual makes it easy to visualize what they are expieriencing.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I enjoyed this book. I thought the storyline was good with a lot of suspense and intrigue. The characters were interesting, and I loved the history of the Irish people even though much of it is very sad. Overall I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

I find the book interesting, captivating, and intriguing.
Especially watching as the scenes unfolds as if watching a movie.

Second, there were two contrasting clusters of characters: the villains vs. the protagonists.

Next,the settings were relatable to a local settings such as unfinishes houses and sites.
I can only gladly rate it four out of four stars.

Thank you.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I liked the book but it was a bit of a struggle to read due to the slow start. Claire definitely brought a bit of light to the darkness of the overall story. I have read the other books in the series but I found that each book is capable of being a standalone novel.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”