Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by Miraphery »

I would say this book is interesting and suspense filled. I love Claire, her character is adorable. The slow start was quite a drag but it turned out well.
Last edited by Miraphery on 31 Mar 2020, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

This book is quite intriguing once you get past the slow start. I loved Claire the most, her character was quite adorable.A blend of Irish folklore, family, murder made it a suspense filled, interesting book.
Ndunaga_C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ndunaga_C »

The slow start of the book can be a turn-off. However, once this is overcome, it actually becomes an interesting read. Even though it’s part of a series, I didn’t feel too lost reading this without having read the preceding books in the series.

The character development was great, and the book afforded me the opportunity to deepen my knowledge of Irish culture and history.

I will rate the book four out of four stars
Queenyx
Currently Reading: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenyx.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Queenyx »

The excerpts of this book seemed interesting making it attractive to explore. However, the reverse was the case at the beginning of the book. Deep into the book, everything, every assumption changed giving the book a grand twist. I will give this book a 3 out of 4 rating
AnxiousSocks
Currently Reading: Ash
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxioussocks.html
Latest Review: The Miller's Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator)

Post by AnxiousSocks »

I have yet to pick up this book, but the Irish folklore definitely caught my attention! I would love to know more about this subject as I have learned a little bit about it in the past but not nearly enough!
Thank you for these reviews, they sound mostly very promising and I hope that once I read it I will love it too :D
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I am rating it 3 out of 4. Overall, the story had an interesting plot. Like many others, I liked Claire's character and contribution to the story. One thing bothered me while I was reading it. After reading comments, I have seen it mentioned by a few others, too. This was the fact that Hillary did not seem more mindful of her daughter's safety among all of these murders. I would think a mother's first thought would be to get her child as far from danger as possible.
Karmenk2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karmenk2.html
Latest Review: Beyond Paris by Paul Alexander Casper

Post by Karmenk2 »

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the mystery, particularly the setting being in Europe. I could have done without the murder but that would have taken away from the plot. I was actually surprised that the character of Claire was involved in as much of it as she was. Overall, a good read!
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

I haven't yet got my hands on the book but the reviews seem so promising and it is really intriguing how every review says something about the plot and the characters. Thanks for every review and I hope this book gets my admiration too!
Think outside of the books.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I liked and enjoyed the book. Specially the love and bond between the mother and daughter. And also I liked the Irish folklores in the book it went well with the murder mystery. The only thing I had a bit of dislike is for the slow start. But my overall rating is 4 out 4 stars.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I have not read the book yet but these comments are really encouraging I like that this book gives it's readers a sneak peak into the Ireland world. I'm definitely going to read it
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Based on the comments in this thread, I can't wait to read this one myself! I love the idea of Irish history intertwined with the story. It reminds me of Ireland, by Frank Delaney. That's a great one!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

It's a great story, exciting and interesting also full of adventures. I give it 3 out of 4 stars
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

A little bit too suspenseful at the start. However, the events were more direct later on.
I loved how the author relates the Irish culture to the readers. It gives the reader a sense of wanting to experience some of that lifestyle.
I would rate the book 3 out of 4.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I am planning to read the book and very excited about doing so, considering the number of 4 star reviews this one has. I also appreciate Irish culture so that's a plus. I do kinda wish the cover hadn't been that particular shade of green though :P
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a perfect book to learn about family and how to maintain a functional one. Both the dad-daughter and the Mother-daughter relationship are excellent! This is definitely a 4 out of 4 star book!
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”