Official Review: An Eternity in a Moment by K. Carothers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: An Eternity in a Moment by K. Carothers

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Eternity in a Moment" by K. Carothers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Erin, an ER doctor by training, was never afraid of any ER case in her line of work. As a doctor, she was always ready to save lives whenever her help was needed. She was married to an obstetrician, Peter Pryce. They worked for the Boston General Hospital. However, they divorced after her husband cheated on her with one of their colleagues. Devastated by her ex-husband’s infidelity, she decided to relocate. She grew up in New Dublin where she had lived with her grandparents. Her mother died a very painful death leaving her in the hands of her grandparents. She went through a stressful childhood and had left New Dublin for Boston to escape facing the memories/realities of her childhood.

An Eternity in a Moment is a novel written by K. Carothers. The main character in the story is Erin Harris. Although she was a very brave ER doctor, she was a coward when it came to facing situations in her own life. She would rather run away from them. Her best friend, Jenna Godfrey, understood her well. She knew that as long as Erin was afraid of her past she would never welcome the idea of moving back to her hometown. Things took an interesting turn when Jenna told Erin that she had been diagnosed with cancer and she had a few months left before her death. Powered by their love for each other, Erin left Boston for her hometown to help Jenna during her last days. Could Jenna help Erin to overcome her fears?

The book gives a very interesting story about true friendship and overcoming fear. To make the book even more tantalizing, the author added some romance and paranormal aspects. For instance, after returning to New Dublin, Erin met Luke (one of her former schoolmates) and they hit it off from the beginning. Their romantic interactions made me put the book in the adult-only corner. It is not appropriate for individuals who are eighteen years and below.

For the paranormal aspect of the book, a five-year-old girl (Bella) who had the ability to communicate with ghosts fascinated me. Bella’s family had rented the house that belonged to Erin’s grandparents. She once told Erin how she could speak with Helen (Erin’s late grandmother). Through her, Erin learned many things about her background. There are many other cases of ghosts in the book. They helped to add flesh to the book.

Another thing that I liked about the book is the inclusion of a criminal investigation case. Luke, Erin’s new boyfriend, worked as a detective for the New Dublin Police. He had to strike a balance between his career as a detective and his devotion to his relationship with Erin. Things could only get more interesting.

By the time I finished reading the book, I was not very sure that the title of the book was appropriate. Many scenes in the book trigger a drill of adrenaline in the reader. However, they did not seem to be close to an ‘eternity in a moment'. I think I had high expectations of the book based on its title. However, this does not mean that the book is nothing short of entertaining.

The book was professionally edited. I only noted two minor errors. The characters were very well developed. Therefore, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to people who enjoy romance stories coupled with cases of crime investigation. Those who love paranormal stories will also find the book enjoyable.

An Eternity in a Moment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

What makes me be more interested in the story is the fact that it talks about true friendship and overcoming fear. Thanks for an enjoyable review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the themes of friendship and Erin helping her friend overcome her fear. The setting also sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It sounds like the book has a lot going on. The adult only aspect makes me lost my interest a bit. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd like to learn more about Erin, but I think I'll pass. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

I'm not too excited about the paranormal aspect but I am intrigued about the other parts. I would definitely love to read this book.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am looking for an adrenaline-filled page-turner. This sounds like just the book! Thanks for the recommendation.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

Great friends are certainly important when a person is facing uncertainties. I am not going to read anytime soon but appreciate your review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

It sounds like this book has a little of everything! I am surprised the author was able to weave so many different elements into one story. I don’t know how much that appeals to me, although almost any of the individual aspects might. But it sounds well-done based on your review. Thanks!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It seems like this piece has a little bit of almost everything. It's great that you've found it worthwhile, too. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I love romance and thrillers so this book seems like a winning combination for me. Both personal narratives and paranormal abilities are subjects that interest me very much. I find it especially appealing that the one who has the vision is a child, I believe that kids have a much more open mind to some experiences than adults. I think I'll enjoy this story!
Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”