Official Review: Ultra Blue by L. M. du Preez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: Ultra Blue by L. M. du Preez

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ultra Blue" by L. M. du Preez.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am beautiful, and I am enough. I find myself wishing this mantra upon the world after finishing Ultra Blue by L.M. du Preez. I’ve also lingered at length on its dedication to “all the young women and men who don’t have (anyone) to support them and remind them that they’re strong.” A story of youth, violence, self-loathing, fear, and confusion, this book highlights the negativity we all seek to bury and, for me, sadly mirrors those I know who harbor the same emotions found in its pages.

Du Preez’s tale surrounds an eighteen-year-old beauty whose self-esteem ran away when she was raped three years before the events of the story. Sidonie embodies the small, shrunken self each person carries within, but she has let self-depreciation convince her that the much older, increasingly dangerous motor club president is her veritable Prince Charming. It is undoubtedly one thing to tangle with someone who treats others poorly, but in the case of Sidonie, her “bad boy” beau exhibits cruelty that knows no bounds.

In this tale of alternate romance, we see the young heroine struggle to find inner beauty while continually allowing others to determine her worth. One of the things I liked most about the book was the relatability and sadly authentic Sidonie character. She is young (too young) and striving to build a fairytale love out of an abusive relationship. Her thoughts belie the truth of her emotional immaturity, and although I wanted to hate her, I found myself sending positive affirmations through the pages. Against my better judgment, I was cheering for her. Readers watch as the boyfriend controls, manipulates, and abuses her. As the book progresses, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel—a way out. After the way was presented, though, I was surprised by the book’s ending. Readers who enjoy realistic dramas and emotional turmoil will enjoy this book and its conclusion.

For the believability of Sidonie’s personage and the intense, fast pace of the book, I am rating Ultra Blue 3 out of 4 stars. Kudos to the author for making me love an unlovable character, but I wish more time had been spent developing the antagonist boyfriend. There was little backstory to explain his actions and demeanor, and I think the addition of such would have heightened the drama in the relationship. I also felt jarred when the author introduced a point of view change more than halfway through the book. I didn’t appreciate the depth of that decision until the end, and perhaps a more meaningful transition would have bettered its immediate impact.

I particularly enjoyed when du Preez compared Sidonie’s underlying fear with the inability to relax during a dental procedure even though the tooth has already been anesthetized. I will use this same comparison to describe my experience reading this book; I was continually waiting for something terrible to happen. Aside from the few dislikes I mentioned above (which didn't truly hinder the book's likability), and the need for a more experienced editor (think missing commas and words), Ultra Blue is an exciting and eye-opening look into the mind and choices of a person who has been made to feel insignificant.

Ultra Blue
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

Though the themes used in the book are touching ( violence, self-loathing, fear, and confusion), the plot seems interesting. The book fits well for those people who go through the same trials the protagonist faced. Thanks for an amazing review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm curious, now, what the ending will be. It's rare that an ending surprises me, so it makes me want to read the book just for that. I do hope that Sidonie regains her sense of self, and I absolutely love the mantra you started with. All in all, it's intriguing enough to capture my attention. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sadly, Sidonie's experience is all too common. You have intrigued me about the ending and I am curious to know how her situation was resolved. Great review. Thanks.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This book sounds heart-wrenching. I hope Sidonie has a happy ending!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

This sounds like a fantastic read. I love it when characters are challenging and leave you with a tangled, bittersweet feeling towards them. If I do pick this up, I'll try and prepare myself for the point of view change in the middle of the book. This is a very nicely written review. Thank-you.
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

I loathe people who treat others badly. I am not sure I could get through the book. It is so sad to know there are people who hate themselves so much and tolerate this kind of treatment. Thanks for your honest review.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I volunteer with teens in foster care, and this story sounds like it reflects a situation that is all too true for a lot of young adults out there just trying to figure out how to get by. Thank you for your thorough review. I will check this one out.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I think I'll enjoy reading this book. When by the end of the book you feel like a character really grew on you - even one who is quite unlovable, the author did something good. I'm curious about how the book will end. If I see it on offer, I'll probably pick it up.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”