Official Review: Shattered Moon by Renata Lanzoni

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Re: Official Review: Shattered Moon by Renata Lanzoni

Post by Alice Heritage »

Tiffany_A_Baker wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 16:37 Wow, I have to say this book looks really interesting. You never know what a person hides! I will put this in my shelf, thank you for your review!
I enjoyed reading it despite the heavy themes. I hope you will too - welcome to the site!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

The usual adage that "we don't choose who we love," if true, implies that a tragic or abusive relationship depicted in this piece could really be possible. Even the Stockholm syndrome seems to be synonymous to the psychological theories relevant to the main characters' predicament, especially Maddy's. It's a sad plight that one would hope not to have, indeed, or feel grateful for if one is unattached. Thank you for your thought-provoking review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

This sounds like a captivating read, definitely something I could consider delving into in the near future. I will say, your mention of grammatical and spelling errors does put me off. If there is one thing I hate, it's technical problems like that, which take away from the artform as a whole.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This story frightening me but I know it will be some sort of lesson to its readers. I think I will pass on this. Great review by the way.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Espie wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 22:16 The usual adage that "we don't choose who we love," if true, implies that a tragic or abusive relationship depicted in this piece could really be possible. Even the Stockholm syndrome seems to be synonymous to the psychological theories relevant to the main characters' predicament, especially Maddy's. It's a sad plight that one would hope not to have, indeed, or feel grateful for if one is unattached. Thank you for your thought-provoking review.
Yes, it is sad that these things have to happen. It was an interesting read, though. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

zjacks wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 17:15 This sounds like a captivating read, definitely something I could consider delving into in the near future. I will say, your mention of grammatical and spelling errors does put me off. If there is one thing I hate, it's technical problems like that, which take away from the artform as a whole.
Yes, they bother me when they keep cropping up in books. This one did have some error-free passages, but that wasn't consistently maintained throughout. Thanks for stopping by!
Mod
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I would love to read about Maddy's experiences. I hope she came out of it relatively unscathed.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Kajori50 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 13:07 I would love to read about Maddy's experiences. I hope she came out of it relatively unscathed.

Thank you for the lovely review.
Hopefully, it's not too much of a spoiler to reveal that she survived! Thanks for your kind comment.
Mod
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 03:04 I see what you mean about that not being someone's name! Places that were mentioned were Mirissa and Weligama, also Galle as a bigger place for shopping and visiting the fort.
Thanks for your supportive comment! I think few women would put up with that behaviour if it happened all the time at the beginning of the relationship - but when they are wonderful to start with and you bond with them, it's so confusing when they suddenly switch. The author described this kind of thing very well.
Yes. No one would put up with partners like that if that’s what they knew they were going into; but that’s never what is made visible at the beginning, is it? I’ve heard the metaphor of turning up the heat so slowly the person in the pot doesn’t realize it’s boiling.

I appreciate women writing about their experiences, your review which notes what works well in this book and some of its shortcomings, and the comments from the user who is familiar with some of the cultural issues in the book. This entire topic is a very interesting read.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Cleis
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 02:15
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 02:07
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 00:17 I'm flushed, and I'm not exactly sure what to say, but at first, Kiri isn't a name for a male and I don't no why the author found it appropriate to use that name. Secondly, thank you for your input, and I would like to know has he visited Sri Lanka to write a story revolving that island?
I really value your input! I did find the name odd. I don't know if it's short for something? I guess the names have been changed as the author says this is a true story, so my understanding is that all this happened to her. I don't believe she meant to single out the island of Sri Lanka particularly; partner abuse can happen everywhere (I have experienced it from an English man).
Many thanks for commenting.
The word "Kiri" is the Sinhala term for curd and milk. No, singling out isn't the issue in here, but I was wondering since this is based on true events, which happened to the author, did she mention an area of particular interest? Such as a location within the country? Your welcome :tiphat: and Thank you again!

P.s. sorry about your abuse. For what it's worth, he doesn't deserve you, and you can do way much better. 😉
Wow, these are great comments, Sahani Nimandra! It sounds like the author is a little ignorant about Sri Lanka as a whole, especially for picking the name "Kiri." This book must have been written with only westerners in mind, who wouldn't know any better. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

And, thanks to the reviewer for your insights! :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”