Official Review: Angel Academy by R.W. Verner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Angel Academy by R.W. Verner

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Angel Academy" by R.W. Verner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tiger Kobayashi is extremely thankful to be in heaven but is also concerned about those he couldn't help. Not long before he was raptured with Jesus, Tiger had been an atheist. He fears his parents have been left behind. Now, Tiger joins Ethan Parker, Sameer Gupta, David Ward, and Lucy Garcia-Ward; as Watchers, they must go back into the world during the Great Tribulation to witness and document the actions of the Antichrist, Frederico Profeta. Angel Academy: The Fate of the Watchers Book III is the final book in the trilogy by R.W. Verner and is a fictional account of world events during the Great Tribulation based on the biblical books of Daniel and Revelation. As Profeta unleashes his evil plans upon the world, will the Watchers be able to help people receive salvation through Jesus Christ before it is too late?

Life during the Great Tribulation seems to be a popular topic among authors of Christian fiction. As a fan of the Left Behind series, I was excited to dig into this book. I appreciated the author's use of scriptures to support the plot and his clever solution for providing hidden cell phones for the Watchers, though I won't elaborate further to avoid exposing any spoilers. Also, the book appears to have been professionally edited.

Unfortunately, the author's writing style demonstrated the practice of telling rather than showing the story. Character development was also lacking. I would have liked to have seen more personality from the characters as individuals instead of only their roles as Watchers.

My biggest issue with the book is its lack of general background information pertaining to the Watchers. While the author makes occasional references to their past, I don't feel he provides sufficient details about the Watchers to inform readers who haven't read the first two books. Why were they chosen? What were some of the Watcher's previous assignments? As relevant details aren't included in the third book, I don't consider it one that stands on its own. Since this book is slightly over 100 pages, and the first two are in the 200-page range, readers who prefer to read the entire trilogy may appreciate the fact that it isn't a lengthy series.

Due to all of the above reasons, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. Previously, when I've reviewed books that were part of a series, at least a brief preface was included for reference. A similar addition would improve the overall reading quality of the book. I can appreciate the author's desire for readers to complete the trilogy, but personally, this omission left me dissatisfied and less likely to read the first two books.

Even so, the book will appeal to readers who enjoy Christian fiction related to the Tribulation and the Second Coming of Christ. Readers of the first two books in the Angel Academy trilogy will also appreciate it. Those who don't enjoy reading scriptures will prefer to pass on this book.

Angel Academy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Very nice descriptive review. It obvious I would first read the first earlier published book before reading this one. I appreciate your sincere review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Thanks for your comment.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I very very rarely read books out of order, so as intriguing as the premise was, I passed when I saw it on the selection list. Having read your review, I'm very glad that I did, though I would definitely be interested in starting with book one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I've read too many stories about the tribulation. I'm kind of over it. With the telling and lack of character development, I especially won't be reading it. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This sounds like an interesting book! I agree a backstory included at the beginning of the third book in the series would help many readers. However, if I accidentally read a book that is part of a series, I rarely go back to read the first few books after finishing the most recent piece.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

MsTri wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 10:11 I very very rarely read books out of order, so as intriguing as the premise was, I passed when I saw it on the selection list. Having read your review, I'm very glad that I did, though I would definitely be interested in starting with book one.
You made the right choice. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 10:36 I think I've read too many stories about the tribulation. I'm kind of over it. With the telling and lack of character development, I especially won't be reading it. Thanks anyway.
I know what you mean. I feel like it's a subject that's been covered well more than once, so authors who tackle the topic have deep shoes to fill.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Jessacardinal wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 13:30 This sounds like an interesting book! I agree a backstory included at the beginning of the third book in the series would help many readers. However, if I accidentally read a book that is part of a series, I rarely go back to read the first few books after finishing the most recent piece.
Thanks for your comment, Jessa.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I liked your insightful questions about the characters. It is difficult to start from the end of a series. I have found myself going back to read the first books of a series just to clear up confusion. I appreciate that you took the time to research the first two books and give some helpful information about their length. Thanks for reviewing this book.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

As soon as you mentioned the 'Left Behind' series, I thought this was going to be a great book because I liked those books! Too bad about the poor writing style and the lack of background information in this one. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 16:11 I liked your insightful questions about the characters. It is difficult to start from the end of a series. I have found myself going back to read the first books of a series just to clear up confusion. I appreciate that you took the time to research the first two books and give some helpful information about their length. Thanks for reviewing this book.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

KristyKhem wrote: 18 Jan 2019, 16:41 As soon as you mentioned the 'Left Behind' series, I thought this was going to be a great book because I liked those books! Too bad about the poor writing style and the lack of background information in this one. Great review!
Thank you, Kristy.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The fact that I haven't begun this series from the first book will be an issue. Also, the book doesn't stand on its own which makes it more difficult to read. However, I did enjoy the insightful review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Faithmwangi wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 07:30 The fact that I haven't begun this series from the first book will be an issue. Also, the book doesn't stand on its own which makes it more difficult to read. However, I did enjoy the insightful review.
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”