Official Review: Shanks Crossing by Gary Jay Pool

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Shanks Crossing by Gary Jay Pool

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shanks Crossing" by Gary Jay Pool.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Shanks Crossing by Gary Jay Pool, Benjamin Franklin Crane is a teenage boy working as a farmhand for Henry Shanks, a rancher in Montana. Set near the Yellowstone River in 1917, Henry is a veteran of the Spanish American War and has experienced many hardships on the cold frontier. Shanks and Crane are working when they encounter one of Henry's old friends, struggling to escape the criminals that he robbed from. Giving permission to cross the river on his land, the result for the intruder is catastrophic, and the three men struggle to survive on the fast-moving river current.

A smart man, Henry Shanks wills his land and treasure to the boy, knowing he won't survive the perilous day. Ben brings reinforcements to fight the criminals who are determined to end his life and take Henry's land. Who will come out of the fight victorious? Was Shanks correct in his premonition? Will Ben live out the day himself? Only time will tell in this stunning novel set in the beauty of Montana from a century ago.

I loved this book and had trouble putting it down. Mr. Shanks has had quite a life, and his telling of his fortunes and misdeeds was fascinating. His sympathy and adoration of Ben is endearing and captivating. The author does a great job slowly introducing each character into the conflict as to not overwhelm the reader. There are many bloody conflicts throughout the book, and the vivid imagery provided in each of these battles is full of suspense. This book is a quick read, with the reader being able to read the entire story in a few hours' time.

This book had quite a few typos and grammatical errors, but I don't think they detracted from the overall storyline. For example, page 180 states: "his patients was running low." I really liked Ben Shanks and would read a sequel that focused on Ben's life after this book's events. The author left some loose ends to tie up in regards to the storyline, so maybe that is the plan to write a sequel. I'm especially interested in the possible romantic storyline presented at the end of the book involving Ben and Ann, the sheriff's daughter.

I give Shanks Crossing 4 out of 4 stars for its excellent storyline, vivid imagery, and interesting characters. I recommend this book for any reader interested in the Wild West at the turn of the last century, with real cowboys as the main characters.

Shanks Crossing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen quite a few western themed stories lately that have been really well-written. However, it's never been a genre I enjoy, whether in book or movie. It's too bad because it sounds like this would be a good one if you enjoyed that type of thing. Ben sounds very interesting. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Mr. Shanks has had quite a life, and his telling of his fortunes and misdeeds was fascinating.
Few people in this era can withstand the fact that they can narrate their part of life which is horrible. Thanks for this review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Ben's character sounds very interesting and captivating. The writer has done well with the description of events and once characters. Nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Was Ben Henry's old friend struggling to escape from the criminals he robbed from? I need to understand who you are referring to in the review.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I've always loved cowboys. Maybe I would read this one since it has real cowboys as the main characters.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”