Official Review: Breaking Apart by Micheli Zappala

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Breaking Apart by Micheli Zappala

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breaking Apart" by Micheli Zappala.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many married couples go through tough times both emotionally and psychologically. People who have never gone through a divorce/separation can never know how it feels when the love in marriage fades way. What happens when love turns into bitterness?

Micheli Sebastiano Salvatore Zappala gives a sneak peek of the possible turn of events when love goes sour through Breaking Apart; When Do You Know Adultery is Sin?. It is a fictional story that is based on real-life events. Written in the first person, the book is in the form of diary entries. The main characters of the book are Rachael and Michael Macaroni. They had been married for 13 years when their marriage came crumbling down. Michael began to write down the events that took place in his life from the day that his wife, Rachael, left with their four children. The core of the story is about the sour relationship between the two and how it affected their children i.e., Rachel (named after her mother), Michael (named after his father), Sarina (named after her grandmother), and Jessica.

The story has a gamut of emotions. I felt sad when Michael recalled how he spent 7 days a week running the family business to give his family a luxurious lifestyle. After the separation, the luxuries did not help ease his pain. It was saddening to learn that his father-in-law, Arthur, thought that he was a worthless man and denied him access to his four children. It was heartbreaking to know that Rachael turned into a brute beast. For instance, she sent her new boyfriend and his friend to break into Michael’s home. I felt pity for Michael who had several sleepless nights because he feared they might kill him or completely destroy all his assets during one of the nights. I had chills when Arthur went for a knife to hurt Michael. Worst of all, the local authorities did not help him to ease the situation. The author had me glued to the pages as I yearned to know more about the next turn of events. The separation was an emotional roller coaster.

As I delved deeper into the story, I couldn’t help but feel that the author could have used a different title, especially for the “When do you Know Adultery is Sin?” part. At first, I thought that the author would be giving more information to answer the question. However, that was not the case. The book is more of a collection of thoughts and events that the main characters went through after their separation.

Although Michael’s diary is full of exciting stories, it was not professionally edited. It contains so many mistakes that distracted me most of the time. They range from grammatical mistakes, poor sentence structure, typos, and poor formatting of the book. Therefore, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. The helpful hand of an editor can turn it into a perfect book. I recommend Breaking Apart; When Do You Know Adultery is Sin? to anyone who is looking for an entertaining book about divorce and separation.

Breaking Apart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds rather interesting. I can't believe they denied him access to his children. What a travesty. Too bad about the errors. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 08:30 This sounds rather interesting. I can't believe they denied him access to his children. What a travesty. Too bad about the errors. Thanks for the review.
You are much welcome :D
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Thank you for the review. I'm putting this on my "might read" list. Pity about all the errors. Thank you.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Certainly this is a heart-wrenching story. It is hard to even begin to imagine his pain. Thanks for the insightful review.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like this was a difficult and violent divorce. I can imagine the negative effect it had on their kids. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

[quote]Many married couples go through tough times both emotionally and psychologically. People who have never gone through a divorce/separation can never know how it feels when the love in marriage fades way. What happens when love turns into bitterness? [/quote]

I have been married for seventeen years. Life wasn't a "bed of roses" nor a "walk in the park" but I've never expected such to be, and I think realists wouldn't and shouldn't as well. "For richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, til death do us part" had been our vow.

Nonetheless, I understand, respect, and hope for the best for those who haven't had enough reason to continue their relationships, though, and feel sad especially for those whose kids are affected the most, too. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I'll have to pass. I like books for entertainment. Reading about someone's failed relationship, you can find that everyday on Yahoo. Nice review though. Thank you.
:tiphat:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I wonder what made Michael so angry? Well, marriage is complicated indeed. Thank you for pointing that out!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”