Official Review: September Wind by Kathleen Janz-Anderson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: September Wind by Kathleen Janz-Anderson

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "September Wind" by Kathleen Janz-Anderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Emily has grown up in primitive surroundings on a family farm where her grandfather rules with an iron fist and her Uncle Steven and Timothy work alongside him. His additional hired hand, Claude, is cruel and refers to her with the demeaning title 'mud'.

The house is her sole responsibility including ironing, baking, cleaning and attending to the laundry. She is expected to rise early, care for the animals, and prepare all of the food. She rarely is shown any affection but is quickly reprimanded for any slight infraction. Because of all of her chores, this leaves little time for outside activities and friendships. Her Aunt Francine, who lives nearby, comes to visit from time to time, but for the most part, she is surrounded by men, their habitual drinking and gruff ways.

This is the storyline of September Wind written by Kathleen Janz-Anderson that depicts the life of the main character Emily and how she navigates around strict rules to have some fun without succumbing to punishment or wrath by the head of the household. Throughout the book, she dreams of freedom, falling in love and experiencing a world that lies outside of the only home she has ever known. Secrets surround her birth, and she faces severe losses as the novel unfolds. The timeline of the plot runs from 1942 until approximately 1960 when she becomes a young adult of eighteen.

From the cover, it may not be apparent that this book contains some serious situations that include murder, prostitution, and rape. I mention this for sensitive readers along with the comment that the author does go out of her way to be gentle and not too graphic. Most of what she says is accomplished through vivid imagery to get her points across without it being overly done with horrific details. The same goes for her use of foul language which she keeps to a minimum. There are some rough characters involved in this book, so I was surprised that she kept the dialogue as clean as she did while still conveying an abrasive quality to her characters.

This author is a master at keeping her reader riveted to the pages by dropping bombshells that you don't see coming. A chapter ends, and another opens with a statement that sets one back in shock. However, I liked that about this and found myself thinking that is how life works. We often are not given a warning of something coming. It just shows up. I generally stop reading after I complete a chapter, but I made the fatal mistake of continuing to the next, and because she has a way of bringing out new twists rapidly, I found myself reading until I had to put the book down. Sometimes, this was right at a harrowing moment, and I couldn't wait to get back to it and read more.

Even though I enjoyed this book immensely, there are a few drawbacks. For one, right after the cover, there is a page that lists the title again. It is written as 'September Winds' instead of September Wind, so this needs to be corrected. On every page going forth, it is written at the top as singular and not plural. For conformity sake, that page requires editing.

Also, I did not think the cover art fit the time frame of the 1940s to the 1960s because it looked a bit too modern, so I would suggest that the author consider other illustrations to reflect that. This is book one, so if there are more to come, then save this one for a later time.

The novel is divided into three parts. Part one ran from chapter one to fourteen. Part two began at chapter fifteen and ended at sixteen. The third and final one started at seventeen and went to the last chapter. I found it odd that part two only covered two chapters for no apparent reason. If there was a point to that, I entirely missed it. Generally, books of this nature show time progression or a significant shift in character development by dividing the material into segments outside of the chapters. Part two seems too short, and I would recommend reorganization for improvement. It might also be helpful to periodically list how old Emily is by putting the year at the beginning of a few chapters as the story goes forward.

Along with the suggestions I have indicated, I would advise that this book is given a good look over for errors in punctuation, grammar, and spelling. It wasn't terrible to the point of not being able to enjoy it, but I think it will only serve to make the writing of a higher quality which I believe this author intended. An example of where a mishap in spelling occurred is in this sentence: "His kiss lingered like the velvety touch of a rose pedal..." The word pedal should be written as 'petal' for a full romantic effect. I say this in good spirits because I know it isn't easy to write a full-length novel, and I think this author would want her work to be as close to perfection as possible.

With the errors and fixes needed, I am awarding this book a 3 out of 4 stars with the hope that this author makes slight changes to have it be even better. Readers who love suspense and romance set in bygone days where homemade pies are put in the oven, and a sand timer counts the minutes, will love this one. For those who do not like reading material that contains mild language, abusive and adult situations including sexuality, should stay away from this one.

September Wind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well I don't normally like graphic material in books. However, the author seems to make it a point to be as sensitive as possible. I appreciate that. So I'll have to look into it. It does seem like an enjoyable read. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like a good book. I like that at the end of every chapter there's a shocking ending. Thank you for the detailed review!
:tiphat:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I love cliff-hanger endings of chapters that lead you to read on - whether you have the time to read or not! Well-crafted review, cpru68, keep up the good work.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This seems like an interesting read. Considering the errors fixed, this is a book is love to read thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

Emily's life in this story reminds me of Cinderella, as both of them were subjected to hard labor and rarely shown any affection. I would be curious to read this story, just to see how much Emily's life parallels Cinderella's life before she married the Prince.
:character-ariel:
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This reminds me of Jane Eyre's "education," although hers had been on an earlier timeline. It's good when the "living happily ever after" part really happens. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Thank you for sharing your review us. From what you have described, I almost see it as a modern day Cinderella story, except the main character is surrounded by gruff men instead of women. I like books that have a lot of ‘bombshells’ as you put it and look forward to adding this to my reading list. I hope that by the time I get to it, the errors will have been corrected.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This author is a master at keeping her reader riveted to the pages by dropping bombshells that you don't see coming. A chapter ends, and another opens with a statement that sets one back in shock. However, I liked that about this and found myself thinking that is how life works. We often are not given a warning of something coming. It just shows up. I generally stop reading after I complete a chapter, but I made the fatal mistake of continuing to the next, and because she has a way of bringing out new twists rapidly, I found myself reading until I had to put the book down. Sometimes, this was right at a harrowing moment, and I couldn't wait to get back to it and read more.
Life brings us surprising twists and turns without previous notice. This novel seems like an engaging personal narrative that approaches some serious issues, although I'm glad both that you made a warning and that the author tried to keep descriptions not too graphic.
I agree that the cover could be improved to look more old-timey but, overall, it seems like the kind of book I would enjoy.
Great review, thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”