Official Review: The Gentleman Chameleon by P. A. Schweizer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Official Review: The Gentleman Chameleon by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gentleman Chameleon" by P. A. Schweizer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Gentleman Chameleon by P. A. Schweizer starts with Kate Reilly appearing to lead a blissful married life with tall, handsome and very charming husband Matt and adorable daughter Laura. Matt Reilly is a perfect gentleman, a doting father, and a loving partner; what more could she ask for? Unbeknownst to Kate, Matt pretends to be single while doing field work in Connecticut. A natural charismatic, he wins Julie over with his gentlemanly ways. Recently divorced, she aggressively enters an affair with him, impulsively exposing her heart to uncertainty. With Matt staying in her house, their closeness grows and yet she finds him becoming more of an enigma. How long will it be before Julie and his wife discover his duplicity?

The author's superb ability to engage the reader is evident in this novel. The story is told in smooth fluidity, capturing the reader's attention effortlessly, making it difficult to put the book down until the last page. The characters are relatable, and the novel provides lessons about love, friendship and family. It tells us that rushing things without thinking of the consequences exposes us to more hurt than happiness; on the same breath, it teaches us to grab the opportunity of experiencing happiness whenever we can.

Mike's character is well-developed, typical of a man leading a double life where lies roll off his mouth smoothly. He is self-absorbed, and I found it amazing how he could change color effortlessly: romancing Julie on one breath, then professing his care and love for his family in the next. How crazy can one get with that kind of behavior?! It is amusing his daughter has a pet chameleon and is named after him. He may be a womanizer, but one cannot find fault regarding his role as a father. Notwithstanding, he is a classic example of a psychological case. Julie is an impulsive, needy woman and yet stays grounded and practical. She is unafraid to open her wounded heart to more pain; she is a courageous woman who seizes every opportunity to love and be loved. It is heartwarming to know how Julie's friends worry about her. Kate is the typical homemaker, absolutely trusting of her husband; how can she not be when her husband showers her love and affection?

On the downside, there are some grammatical errors, especially on punctuations. In the chapter dated October 6, two paragraphs are unseparated, and there is a sentence in Chapter 8 that is unfinished. In the chapter dated October 22, Kate is referred to as Julie.

This book was an engaging read, its plot clear, and the situations realistic and relatable. Though there were some grammatical errors, these did not detract the novel's readability and the author's ability to capture and hold the reader's complete attention more than made-up for this flaw. Thus, I give the novel 4 out of 4 stars.

This book is for mature readers because of the numerous graphic and intimate scenes between the married couple, between lovers and the sensitive theme of adultery.

The Gentleman Chameleon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Misael's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really interested in a man leading a double life, no matter the reasons. So, even though this one is well-written, I think I'll pass. I'm glad that you enjoyed it, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I hope Kate and Julie find out the truth and work together to get revenge! I love the pet chameleon bit! I'm not a huge fan of stories that center around adultery so I am definitely passing on this one. Nice review though :)
Obas3879
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Obas3879 »

Charming. This book tells us so much about been so careful with the decisions we make especially in relationships. thanks.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I think I know someone who fits this bill quite nicely, and I wouldn't be able to fault him for his flaws because of his more pronounced redeeming qualities either. We all could err in our own ways, indeed, and yet "nobody is beyond redemption" as what one wise person once said. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”