Official Review: Addicted to Hate by Lucia Mann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Official Review: Addicted to Hate by Lucia Mann

Post by C-Extra22 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Addicted to Hate" by Lucia Mann.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Curiosity killed the cat” – those were exactly my thoughts when I delved into this book. Lucia Mann’s book, Addicted to Hate, is a fictional story about a young woman called Maddie. Having escaped from a convent as a young girl, she is forced to face the risk of surviving on her own. With a colored skin, and no legitimate documentation in any country, Maddie is deported from South Africa. Her lack of documentation and known family history makes her bait that keeps on attracting various kinds of people who play various kinds of roles in her life. Another plot in the story is that of Lela and Hassam El Din. These two plots bring the story to a concluding climax.

I liked the way Maddie defied medical predictions concerning her. For example, when she got up from the wheelchair and walked when she had been medically confined to a wheelchair for life. Her 3 miracle babies were also another medical wonder. She kept proving them wrong. This was what I enjoyed most in the story. This is because her story inspired me to believe in the impossible.

I didn’t like the irresponsible behavior of 2 of her children (Mary-Jean, and Mara). She seemed not to have enough courage to say ‘no’ to them. This displeased me immensely. My reason is that she had it in her power to do something about their behavior, but refused to do anything about it. It made her look weak.

This book would appeal most to orphans, victims of domestic abuse, homeless children, mothers, and children across all age grades. On the other hand, people who do not believe in reincarnation may not find this book appealing. Feminists’ may not appreciate this book.

The plot was intriguing. The characterization was real enough to attract an attentive audience. The theme of hatred, victimization, and abuse were exhaustively emphasized in the story, leaving the reader with no doubt about their harmful effects. The major character was excellently portrayed as a survivor, though she still had issues that needed to be dealt with. The author’s language was coherent and forceful enough to evoke the right emotions while reading about Maddie. A more comprehensive narration on Maddie’s stay at the convent would have made a better beginning for the book. Generally, it was a wonderful read, but also had its own share of faults.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 4 because it had more than 10 errors. For example, “I hope you a good time, and thanks for bringing my daughter home.” (Page 284). I took out another star because of the absence of a comprehensive narration on Maddie’s stay at the convent at the beginning. I settled for a 2 because it had an intriguing plot

Addicted to Hate
View: on Bookshelves

Like C-Extra22's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It's too bad about the grammar errors. That's great that she was able to prove doctors wrong. It sounds like a good book. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

It is a very eye-catching title, and you have reviewed this book so well. And yet, I don’t feel drawn to the story or the characters at all. A woman with the strength to defy all medical odds to walk again and have babies, and she lacks the strength to discipline her own children? That would just irritate me! I might pass on this one. Thank you!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Addicted to Hate is certainly a strong title that gives the potential reader a taste of what the book might hold. Although I have a strong empathy toward women (and men and children) who have been abused and victimised, I really don't feel comfortable choosing to read a story like this. Thanks for the thoughtful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I am curious about Maddie's life and how she defies the odds. I'm not sure it's enough for me to want to read this story, though. Perhaps after a bit more editing. Still, thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

i thought of this as some self help book, of course that is from the title, but it turns out to be not. This is a good book but its quite unfortunate that it has some grammatical issues.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

I love the title and the general content of the book. It is quite appalling when a promising story line is marred by a series of grammatical errors. Poor editing sours the taste of many good books. Nice review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

It's a pity that, a book that has such great potentials of being an awesome book has so many errors in it. I might eventually check this out because of the plot and characterization. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I love the fact that she kept proving them wrong medically. Can't wait to read this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”