Official Review: Friends by Gary Hope

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Re: Official Review: Friends by Gary Hope

Post by Julie Green »

Dael Reader wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 11:35 I think this is the kind of friendship story we see most often with women as the protagonists. One about men taking time to deepen their friendship could be interesting. But it also sounds like this book leaves a little bit to be desired in terms of writing style. Another good idea lacking great execution. Thanks for this detailed review.
Thank you for your comment. Yes, I liked what the author was trying to do - it just fell a little short of the mark, in my view.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 00:37 I think this book could make me want to go on a road trip. It sounds like a fun story to read about a friendship. Thank you for the review!
Thanks for commenting. Yes, it definitely brought out my inner wanderlust :D
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 01:36
Julie Green wrote: 28 Oct 2018, 10:04 I know this because, as I was reading the book, I wanted to join Bill and Allen on their trip.
As I was reading your review, I wanted to join Bill and Allen on their trip. Although, I'm a sucker for any trip. I think it's great that you could relate to a lot of their journey. I'm also a little jealous.
Wonderful review :)
Thank you for your comment. I love a good trip too!

This was nearly very good. It's a shame it doesn't quite get there - I was willing it to get better as I was reading it.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I don't find this sort of books interesting. But thanks for the honest and comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Bill and Allen are two friends whose adventures through the roads of America are shown in words in this review. you have given a good review. thanks for it.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Only 2 stars? Hmm! I'm sorry I really like to know your opinion, just because the writing is simple you deduct a point is a bit too much, I mean if the writing is simply then it's easy to understand, but I wish to know your reason for this point? Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Sushan wrote: 20 Nov 2018, 12:28 I don't find this sort of books interesting. But thanks for the honest and comprehensive review 👍👍
Thank you for stopping by and commenting :)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 22 Nov 2018, 09:39 Bill and Allen are two friends whose adventures through the roads of America are shown in words in this review. you have given a good review. thanks for it.
Thank you for your comment :)
Julie Green
Currently Reading:

Post by Julie Green »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 23:23 Only 2 stars? Hmm! I'm sorry I really like to know your opinion, just because the writing is simple you deduct a point is a bit too much, I mean if the writing is simply then it's easy to understand, but I wish to know your reason for this point? Thank you for your detailed review!
It is a good question. I think it is because the simplistic writing ran throughout the book so it had a greater impact on me that the specific positive elements. I might have made that clearer in my review. Thank you for your comment :)
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I was worried for a moment when I saw the low rating, but I can deal with simplistic writing and mundane dialogue given the nature of the book. Looking forward to this one.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I've read this book and also found it different to rate. My biggest issue with it was that not much actually seemed to happen. They kind of just wandered along until the end

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”