Official Review: A Woman's Prerogative by Steven C. Brandt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: A Woman's Prerogative by Steven C. Brandt

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Woman's Prerogative" by Steven C. Brandt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Woman's Prerogative is a romantic adventure by Steven C. Brandt that follows the relationship of wealthy Greta Sadler, the only daughter of the president of the prestigious Sadler Corporation, and Alex Mackenzie, a reputable geologist and professor at the University of Nevada-Reno. As Greta and Alex set out to prove themselves professionally, their paths become increasingly intertwined, yet they are pulled in different directions. Set in Nevada, the story has historical roots to the 1840s-1860s gold rushes. As the couple faces family secrets, ambition, betrayal, blackmail, and the hunt for a lost gold mine, will their relationship be strengthened or pulled apart?

The book begins with a prologue that details the family histories of Greta Sadler and Alex Mackenzie; information that will be pertinent as the story develops. It is divided into nine sections which alternate between the professional life and drama unfolding for Greta at the family-owned Sadler Corporation, Alex's research and adventures related to the Lost Pants Mine, and their lives together as a couple. Despite Reinhold Sadler's misgivings about Alex's relationship with his daughter, he reluctantly agrees to sell him the land he requested, even when Alex is unwilling to walk away from Greta as part of the deal. After his younger brother Quid--whose life has been troubled since he left the Navy--arrives on the scene, he introduces Alex to Frank, an experienced gold prospector who convinces him to help locate the Lost Pants Mine. Since the three men are limited financially, Alex comes up with a creative way to finance the property deal with Reinhold. Thus begins their gold mining adventure. Meanwhile, as Greta adjusts to her new role as the first female president of the corporation, she is initially challenged by revelations of the company's impending bankruptcy, a lack of support from family shareholders, and Nevada's "good ol' boy" network that undervalues women. An earthquake, paternity suit, kidnapping, and mutiny heighten the suspense and will keep the reader guessing until the very end.

Brandt's portrayal of the gold mining adventure was particularly engaging. As one who is not usually drawn to the typical hunting for treasure sagas, I was pleasantly surprised by how captivating this portion of the story was. He did an excellent job of propelling the story through Alex's academic research coupled with Frank's expertise as a seasoned prospector. However, I noted one inconsistency related to the historical background of the Sadler family established in the prologue and first chapter of the book. The prologue names the first Reinhold as the ninth governor and his namesake as his great-great-grandson. However, in the first chapter, the current Reinhold Sadler is described as the great-grandson of the eleventh governor. I reread both portions to be sure I understood correctly. While this didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of the book, it bears noting.

Regarding character development, I found Alex and the two supporting male characters, Quid and Frank to be well-developed and relatable. As I read, I could easily conjure images of Alex as a handsome academic and romantic; Frank, the wise old prospector with a big heart, and Quid, the reckless, immature younger brother. However, try as I might, I was unable to connect with Greta. While I appreciated Brandt's focus on portraying her as a knowledgeable, assertive businesswoman with political ambitions, her character lacked depth and warmth. Despite their romantic involvement, her interactions with Alex often came across as though he was one of her employees. Additionally, as I read the chapters related to Greta's business dealings, I often felt as if I were being told rather than shown the story.

Despite the weaker characterization of Greta, I appreciated the book's realistic conclusion, which was satisfying but also hinted at the possibility of a sequel. Additionally, it appears to be professionally edited, as I only noted several errors. In consideration of the related research and gold mining adventure, I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy romantic adventures with historical roots. It will also appeal to those who are interested in gold mining.

A Woman's Prerogative
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I like romance but I am not a sucker for "a romantic adventure with historical roots", neither am I interested in gold mining. Hence, I will pass this one. It seems that you enjoyed reading this book since, despite Greta's weak characterization, you gave this book a perfect rating. Thanks for the review.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Greta sounds like she could be hard work! I'm not sure I could take a whole book with her at the center. The naming of Lost Pants Mine made me chuckle tho. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not usually into the search for hidden treasure either, but this one does sound compelling. Still, I just don't think it's a story I would like. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it despite Greta's not so great characterization. I'll pass for now. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

Wow, you wrote a great review. This books seems incredible, i may have to add this to my shelves very soon.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 01:14 I like romance but I am not a sucker for "a romantic adventure with historical roots", neither am I interested in gold mining. Hence, I will pass this one. It seems that you enjoyed reading this book since, despite Greta's weak characterization, you gave this book a perfect rating. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sonya01 wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 01:51 Greta sounds like she could be hard work! I'm not sure I could take a whole book with her at the center. The naming of Lost Pants Mine made me chuckle tho. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comment, Sonya. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 07:51 I'm not usually into the search for hidden treasure either, but this one does sound compelling. Still, I just don't think it's a story I would like. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it despite Greta's not so great characterization. I'll pass for now. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

evan1995muniz wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 08:41 Wow, you wrote a great review. This books seems incredible, i may have to add this to my shelves very soon.
Thank you, Evan.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a great review. I love the book, it has much to offer to the readers and i think i will enjoy it too.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Considering the title of the book and the fact that Greta is a prominent character, it is disappointing that she was not given the depth that the male characters had, in your opinion. Is this a deliberate choice as part of the author's portrayal of the 'good ole boys' environment, do you think? Or is it that the author might not be able to get inside the head of a female character so well - especially a strong woman in an unusual position?
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

fredrick otieno wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 13:06 This is a great review. I love the book, it has much to offer to the readers and i think i will enjoy it too.
Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 20:31 Considering the title of the book and the fact that Greta is a prominent character, it is disappointing that she was not given the depth that the male characters had, in your opinion. Is this a deliberate choice as part of the author's portrayal of the 'good ole boys' environment, do you think? Or is it that the author might not be able to get inside the head of a female character so well - especially a strong woman in an unusual position?
Considering that the strong male characters were those who didn't practice the "good ole boy" attitudes, I think it was probably a case of the latter. There was considerable effort in establishing that Greta was a hard worker who deserved her position--it just fell short when it came to her personality. I agree with your thoughts about the title. Thanks for commenting.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

If Greta is the main character of the Story and most of the narrative centers on her then by this fact if her characterization is maligned then it clearly offsets the story line. I too was surprised you gave it a perfect rating. Nice review though.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical fiction revolving around the romantic adventures of Greta Sadler and Alex Mackenzie during the gold rush sounds exciting and the conclusion satisfying. The mix of romance and historical adds to the fun. I am glad you found the portrayal of the gold mining engaging. Too bad Greta wasn't well-developed as the other characters. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”