Official Review: Darling Girl by Terry H Watkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Darling Girl by Terry H Watkins

Post by Franc93 »

mental illness is an epidemic that plagues humanity as we speak and more emphasis should be put in its awareness and this is exactly what the book tries to do albeit in a mildly humorous and clever way. The review was detailed and on point and clearly gives me enough reason to read this book as soon as possible.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I agree that the secrecy and shame the family had surrounding the mothers mental illness sounds pretty realistic for it's time. I also agree that the stuttering could have been more consistent, but I don't think that would detract from a strong, heartfelt story about growing up with a mentally ill parent in the 1950's. Thanks for the review. I'm sure if I read this book I'll probably be crying but in a good way.
:character-ariel:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Franc93 wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 10:38 mental illness is an epidemic that plagues humanity as we speak and more emphasis should be put in its awareness and this is exactly what the book tries to do albeit in a mildly humorous and clever way. The review was detailed and on point and clearly gives me enough reason to read this book as soon as possible.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Alicia09 wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 17:54 I agree that the secrecy and shame the family had surrounding the mothers mental illness sounds pretty realistic for it's time. I also agree that the stuttering could have been more consistent, but I don't think that would detract from a strong, heartfelt story about growing up with a mentally ill parent in the 1950's. Thanks for the review. I'm sure if I read this book I'll probably be crying but in a good way.
Thank you, Alicia.
sana jawed meeran
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sana jawed meeran »

It was owsum story I was wondering to going through it and fell in love with the cover of the book😊
NhkeiraT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhkeirat.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by NhkeiraT »

This is a book that people definitely need to read. The struggles and realization is something that everyone can relate to.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

The book cover of a little girl in her mother's or some elder female person's shoes is what led me to read about this book. It portrays of a child trying to fill in her mother's shoes. So it looks like an emotional read and a great book. Also, I appreciate how the author was successful in narrating the story from the child's point of view. I'll definitely be reading this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”