Official Review: Darkness on the Delta by G. E. Johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Official Review: Darkness on the Delta by G. E. Johnson

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darkness on the Delta" by G. E. Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darkness on the Delta by G. E. Johnson tells the story of Bern who grew up in Mississippi during the 1960s and 1970s. He experienced all the racial turmoil of the time. His parents were civil rights activists and lawyers. Though he did not go the same route as they, he became a man with a strong desire to help people and to never discriminate against others for the color of their skin. He started a career in teaching and proceeded to change the lives and broaden the views of the children he taught.

G. E. Johnson takes her readers on a journey through a time and place troubled by prejudices. However, Darkness on the Delta is not just a story of political movements. It is the story of man who is slightly broken by the events in his life, but still hopeful for the future. It is a book full of relationships and emotions.

What I found most enjoyable about this novel was the poetic way in which it was written. The story is told by Bern in the third person. Both his character and the author are poets. I loved the way the words painted a beautiful picture even when describing something tragic. The author also created very believable dialogue with an authentic use of dialect.

I really find it difficult to say something negative about this novel. I can't really say I had a least favorite part. About three quarters of the way through the book, the story gave the impression of changing from one of purely fiction and drama to one of thriller and suspense. I found this change a bit odd but not unwelcome. In the end, the story wrapped up nicely, and everything came full circle back to the main theme.

I think this book can be enjoyed by a variety of readers. It reads almost like a memoir and I have the feeling the author drew from personal experiences. So, fans of that genre or of real-life fiction would enjoy it. I'm not sure people who like purely fantasy fiction or a lot of action would appreciate it as much. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was beautifully written and edited well. It kept me engaged until the last page, and I appreciate the important messages it conveyed. I would call this book a must-read for anyone at all interested in life on the Delta.

Darkness on the Delta
View: on Bookshelves

Like pricklypurple's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

You got me on this part of your review "...It is the story of man who is slightly broken by the events in his life, but still hopeful for the future..." It appears to me this book is about someone making a difference though with a broken past in a fictional account. Plus, I'm curious about what had happened in America during the 1960s and 1980s. I believe this book will enlighten me on that and I would definitely have this in my to-be-read list. Thanks for your informative review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

It sounds like a beautifully written book by an impressionable author. I am looking forward to reading it some day. Well done on a great review!
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

liftedbooks wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 03:58 It sounds like a beautifully written book by an impressionable author. I am looking forward to reading it some day. Well done on a great review!
.... and I think it also inspired a beautiful review
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

This is a great review, well done. I am going to add this book to my to-read list.
I come from a delta region, in fact the name of my state is Delta State (In Nigeria). We have had our own turmoils too, though not of racism but almost related in the form of minority rights and access to resources. Sorry for the digress, I hope to enjoy the book.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This is a well-written review that makes me want to read this book, as it is rare to find a book that is given a 4 out of 4 rating. It sounds like a thoughtful, positive story, despite the background and political issues. Great work!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

A book that gives the message of hope to its readers is a book worth reading. Thanks for the concise but detailed review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a very good book if this is something that appeals to you. I'm not really part of the target audience, and it might be a bit too poetic for me. Still, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”