Official Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seven at Two Past Five" by Tara Basi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi is a refreshingly unique novel that takes readers on a complex journey through the life and psyche of the old button maker Abi, also known as Seven. Abi has spent her life in a world ruled by routine and simplicity where she awakens every morning in her number seven bunk-bed-coffin and proceeds to her workshop where she receives a letter with the day’s button orders. Her orderly world is overturned when she awakens for the first time without having had nightmares, known as the Terrors, during the previous night. This change in routine is welcomed until she arrives in her workshop to find a new note instructing her that because of the absence of her usual Terrors, she is accused of “Disturbance Potential.”

After her accusation, Abi has her first ever contact with other people and ultimately decides to appeal the absurd and unfair judgement. This act of defiance, a first for her, sets in motion a change of events that is built with one difficulty after another. Abi and her Appeals Process Administrator, Zero, embark on a never-ending path to clear her name and receive justice. Yet, nearly everyone seems to be standing in their way with ridiculous and arbitrary demands, accusations and rules. As time begins to run out, Abi will have to come to terms with some startling truths that she has kept hidden deep inside her.

I rate Seven at Two Past Five 4 out of 4 stars because I find it an extremely well-written and creative novel. For starters, I didn’t find a single grammatical error or typo throughout the entire book, which was obviously professionally edited. As for the content, the story kept me in suspense the entire time, and I wasn’t sure what would happen to the characters or even what was truly going on behind the strange world until the very end. The setting is so richly described and always changing that I felt like I was actually being swept from place to place alongside the characters. I think that Basi’s descriptions are one of her strongest writing points, and they were proportionally mixed with interesting dialogue, a balance that many authors struggle to achieve.

This book will appeal to those who enjoy reading absurdist, surrealist, or philosophical novels that keep you guessing. The writing style and tone of the book are fast-paced with short, abrupt, often fragmented sentences that reflect the bizarre nature of the world and its people. The frustrating process of the appeal and the absurd behavior and explanations from the characters had me feeling so agitated and restless, and I think readers will be able to sympathize and identify with Abi. On the other hand, the situations were so ridiculous that I often found myself laughing at their relation to the paperwork and red tape we all have to go through in the real world, and I quite enjoyed this exaggerated parallelism.

If you’re the kind of reader who enjoys this genre, I do not think you’ll be disappointed with Seven at Two Past Five. It was a really interesting take on a subject I didn’t altogether expect—and which I’ll withhold to avoid spoiling the end. This book held my attention until the last page, and the ending was so fascinating that I’d like to read the book a second time now that the mystery has been solved, an unmistakable sign of a successful novel.

Seven at Two Past Five
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

What an interesting concept! I rarely come across absurd and surreal books that were written like that on purpose. But now I'm intrigued with this book. I want to know more about her accusation of 'Disturbance Potential' and how ridiculous and arbitrary demands other people gave!
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

This sounds like an amazing novel. I love that the plot is so different from other stories, in that the main character is a button maker and they are punished for no longer having nightmares. One would think that would be a good thing! I would love to review this book, just to find out what happens to the button maker. Thanks!
:character-ariel:
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This definitely sounds like the kind of book I'd love to read, as I adore unusual books, and this seems to fit the bill. I'm really curious as to what button-making has to do with nightmares, as well as why the protagonist sleeps in a bunk bed coffin. Thanks so much for the introduction!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Sounds Kafka-esque. Your review made the book seem really interesting, but I'm not sure that I would pick it up. I like those kinds of stories in movies or games where there's a visual element that accompanies the weird story, but in books I just find them confusing and hard to follow along.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Allyseria wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 10:31 What an interesting concept! I rarely come across absurd and surreal books that were written like that on purpose. But now I'm intrigued with this book. I want to know more about her accusation of 'Disturbance Potential' and how ridiculous and arbitrary demands other people gave!
It's such a cool book, and the bizarre accusations and rules are my favorite! Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Alicia09 wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 10:32 This sounds like an amazing novel. I love that the plot is so different from other stories, in that the main character is a button maker and they are punished for no longer having nightmares. One would think that would be a good thing! I would love to review this book, just to find out what happens to the button maker. Thanks!
It was so cool! And yes, the plot is really different from anything I'd ever read before. Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

MsTri wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 11:10 This definitely sounds like the kind of book I'd love to read, as I adore unusual books, and this seems to fit the bill. I'm really curious as to what button-making has to do with nightmares, as well as why the protagonist sleeps in a bunk bed coffin. Thanks so much for the introduction!
I definitely think you'd enjoy it! Thanks for commenting. :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

AliceofX wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 11:33 Sounds Kafka-esque. Your review made the book seem really interesting, but I'm not sure that I would pick it up. I like those kinds of stories in movies or games where there's a visual element that accompanies the weird story, but in books I just find them confusing and hard to follow along.
Absolutely, it definitely reminded me of Kafka. While reading, I was actually thinking it would make a cool movie, or maybe even a play, if it could be done right. Visually, it would be really stunning as a film. Thanks for commenting!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Your review does a great job of capturing attention without giving away the end... I am intrigued now to read the book to find out about the big reveal!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Julie Green wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 14:08 Your review does a great job of capturing attention without giving away the end... I am intrigued now to read the book to find out about the big reveal!
Thanks, Julie! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did if you end up reading it. :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know this is other fiction, but it has almost a dystopian feel to it. It would be right up my alley. I'll absolutely look into this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I stumbled upon this review, the title of the book intrigued me. The absurd world Abi lives in is one that I know I would like to take a look at. I myself am prone to weird if not frightening dreams, I can't imagine that having a good nights sleep would ever be a bad thing and send someone's life in such a spiral. I look forward to finding out the mystery of this world and how she makes out in this situation. Thanks for the review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book sounds so unlike what I am use to reading that I find it extremely interesting. Thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 18:24 I know this is other fiction, but it has almost a dystopian feel to it. It would be right up my alley. I'll absolutely look into this one. Thanks.
It definitely is dystopian in tone and setting! Great, I hope you like it. Thanks for commenting. :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”