Official Review: Red - Bastard Child by David Valley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Red - Bastard Child by David Valley

Post by Dael Reader »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 02:48 Never mind the brothers, how can a mother abuse her own child? It's sad that we are not given the insight thoughts of the characters to learn how each action affect them emotionally, and the fact that the book is poorly edited doesn't help the case either. It comprises an interesting plot though. Fascinating review!
Dael Reader wrote:The mother was one of the most frustrating characters to me. We're led to believe that Red may have been a "love" child, since he was illegitimate. But then she abuses him. And then--at the risk of giving to much away--she refuses to give up custody when Red's biological father comes on board, even though she supposedly hates him. We really need to know what's going on in her mind and soul. Thanks for your comment.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Sounds like a good book despite the grammar errors. I would be interested in finding out what happens to Red. Thanks for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

A very insightful review! I can see how you felt strongly for Red and the story as well, and maybe wanted much more from the book. It is too bad about the absence of subplots and the errors probably made the reading experience cumbersome. As for any morals or deep messages, I guess not all stories delve into that. Thanks for the review!
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I really thought the praise for the book was going to go on, even up to "what you read is what you get", I was still hopeful. It is always tough when compared to Huck Finn or Tom Sawyerr, I was so disappointed that this book couldn't pass muster. I mean what could have gone wrong? I know- they are all outlined in an almost precise manner. I think I also get why the the hemming and hawing!
I might still go ahead and read this book, you never can tell, I just might find it interesting.
This is a great review you have put out here, well done!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Shrabastee wrote: 24 Sep 2018, 04:49 A very insightful review! I can see how you felt strongly for Red and the story as well, and maybe wanted much more from the book. It is too bad about the absence of subplots and the errors probably made the reading experience cumbersome. As for any morals or deep messages, I guess not all stories delve into that. Thanks for the review!
I really expected that after noting the lack of morals or deep messages, that the next line would be that - "but that didn't matter... and something that the story was too interesting or something to suffer from that. I was half rooting for a 3 to 4 star rating as I expected it to be an interesting book. Sad!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

It's a little disheartening to read a book when you know that you can't relate to the characters as their inner workings are not revealed. But this book seems to discuss many issues in modern society. Also, how a young boy who against all the abuse he faced in his life reaches success is heart-warming. So I'm going to give this book a chance.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Thanks for your honest review. The book sounds okay. Too bad there are mechanical errors. Lovely review.
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 15:19 Sounds like a good book despite the grammar errors. I would be interested in finding out what happens to Red. Thanks for the review!
Dael Reader wrote:Thanks for stopping by to comment{/quote]
Dael Reader

Post by Dael Reader »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 05:20 It's a little disheartening to read a book when you know that you can't relate to the characters as their inner workings are not revealed. But this book seems to discuss many issues in modern society. Also, how a young boy who against all the abuse he faced in his life reaches success is heart-warming. So I'm going to give this book a chance.
Dael Reader wrote:That's the spirit! Thanks for your comment.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I liked your review and despite it being unforgiving on the author, I agree with you that a mature audience will find the lack of characterization unfulfilling. Thanks for the honest review.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This book seems like it has great promise, although I agree that if as a reader I wasn't privy to the character's emotions and thoughts that it would put me off as well. I do love when you said that Red didn't always do the right thing, it made him more realistic and relatable for me before even reading the book. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The concept of the book sounds nice, exploring Red's life from childhood to adulthood. It's a shame about the grammatical errors and poor execution. Nice review nonetheless.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”