Official Review: Turnstiles by Andrea McKenzie Raine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Official Review: Turnstiles by Andrea McKenzie Raine

Post by Fu Zaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Turnstiles" by Andrea McKenzie Raine.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We often come across strangers in our life who impact us in a way that is hard to ignore. Andrea McKenzie Raine explores the lives of three such people in her book Turnstiles. Through the perspective of various people taunted by the demons in their life, she makes sly observations on human nature and delves a little onto philosophy.

Willis Hancock is the son of a wealthy man who died recently. Inheriting his father’s fortune did not make him feel wealthy. Instead, he was even more tormented by the uncomfortable memories of his deceased father whom he never wanted to love. On a whim, he writes off a considerable part of his money to a beggar Martin, whom he meets on the streets of London. Martin journeys to Paris with his newfound fortune. Evelyn is a prostitute who has repeatedly been under the command of the men in her life. She never had control over herself. Martin liberates her from the grip of her boss Frank, who had threatened her life for a long time. When Martin senses that Evelyn is becoming overly dependent on him, he abandons her. The three people cross paths rarely, but their chance encounters leave a significant footprint in each other’s lives.

For me this book was an intimate look into the lives of people I don’t often meet in the real world. A wealthy businessman, a man who chose to beg on the streets and a girl forced into prostitution; I’ve stayed blissfully ignorant of such people in my entire life. But this book made me come out of my comfort zone and confront the realities I tended to ignore so often.

I loved how each of the characters had a distinct voice. I couldn’t often connect with Willis and found myself hating some of his decisions. But in the end, it was difficult to despise a man taunted by his own weapons. I also surprised myself with how much I related to Martin. His appreciation for art was inspiring. I especially loved the way he described his visit to Paris. Evelyn was more difficult to completely grasp, but Raine vividly captures the hurt voice of a girl striving to snatch her innocence back.

This book is entirely character-driven. At one point, I felt like it became more and more philosophical. There are a few side-characters, but Raine assigns them a unique role. We get to see the narratives of some less significant characters which provide a depth and understanding of the story. My only problem was that sometimes a particular character came often and then suddenly disappeared for a while. The plot-twists were convenient, but Raine succeeds in portraying them as coincidences. I was a little disappointed that we didn’t get to witness the confrontation between two particular characters in the end. I have to admit though, the story wrapped up perfectly, in an extremely satisfying manner.

The writing was spotless and engaging, with perfect grammar. Undoubtedly, this book is professionally edited. I would recommend it to fans of Nina LaCour and Robin Benway, as well as everyone looking for a character-driven story. I enjoyed this book way too much to rate it anything less than 4 out of 4 stars. People who are easily triggered by adult content, depression and child abuse are cautioned to stay away from this book. It would suit more mature readers, preferably aged sixteen and above.

Turnstiles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Fuzaila's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Kudos to you, Fuzaila, for this captivating review! I am adding this character-driven novel to my reading list immediately. Thanks for the brilliant insight. :)
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Those are definitely three lives that I haven't been in contact with either, so I understand your fascination. This is a great review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I agree that each character in this story plays a significant role. They are truly representative of people in society. Those with more than enough and those without. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

For me this book was an intimate look into the lives of people I don’t often meet in the real world. A wealthy businessman, a man who chose to beg on the streets and a girl forced into prostitution; I’ve stayed blissfully ignorant of such people in my entire life. But this book made me come out of my comfort zone and confront the realities I tended to ignore so often.
This is beautifully written and really piques my interest in the book. Excellent review!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:28 Kudos to you, Fuzaila, for this captivating review! I am adding this character-driven novel to my reading list immediately. Thanks for the brilliant insight. :)
Thank you so much Ruba! I'm sure you'll love it :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Bianka Walter wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 15:21 Those are definitely three lives that I haven't been in contact with either, so I understand your fascination. This is a great review, thanks!
crediblereading2 wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 16:45 I agree that each character in this story plays a significant role. They are truly representative of people in society. Those with more than enough and those without. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Thank you for your kind comments! I agree, these people form a large part of or society but we tend not to interact with them much, or worse, straight up avoid them. This book have me a new insight for sure :)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Cecilia_L wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 22:10
This is beautifully written and really piques my interest in the book. Excellent review!
Those words came from my heart. Thank you Cecilia :)
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Excellent review, you’ve sold the book to me. Following the three very different lives sound fascinating.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Helen_Combe wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 02:27 Excellent review, you’ve sold the book to me. Following the three very different lives sound fascinating.
That's great to hear. I hope you enjoy the book Helen, it is fascinating of course. I couldn't recommend it enough :)
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

"For me this book was an intimate look into the lives of people I don’t often meet in the real world. A wealthy businessman, a man who chose to beg on the streets and a girl forced into prostitution; I’ve stayed blissfully ignorant of such people in my entire life. But this book made me come out of my comfort zone and confront the realities I tended to ignore so often."

This is such a great statement, and I love that you drew our attention to that. Especially given that this story was driven by the characters. Wonderful review, but probably not the book for me.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like the characters are deep and well written. I love that in a book.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Interesting story of this book that shows money is not everything in life which has a good message also.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You wrote a fantastic review there, Fuzaila! Each of the three characters seems enough to keep me enthralled. The title and cover of the book are quite intriguing, too.
prhyme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prhyme.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by prhyme »

Thrilling at best.Wouldn't know what to say about the characters,unless they offer me an impetus to connect but intimately with them.
"Lock up your libraries if you like;but there is no gate,no lock,no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind."
-Virginia Woolf

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”