Official Review: Autumn Frost by M.D. Schlatter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Autumn Frost by M.D. Schlatter

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Autumn Frost" by M.D. Schlatter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Deblue household is so rife with tension that eighteen-year-old Autumn is desperately trying to escape the unhappiness her and her father, Edmund, share. Edmund refuses to allow Autumn to attend college, drive a car, or even speak to their neighbors. Autumn can no longer tolerate the oppression. She runs away from her home in Nebraska to become a personal companion to the wealthy Lady Cannon in Michigan.

Doris Cannon dreads the idea of misleading a young woman into believing that she is seeking a personal companion for herself. What she really needs is a guardian for her orphaned granddaughter, Summer. Lady Cannon is Summer’s only living relative, and her health is steadily deteriorating. She needs someone she can trust to manage her estate and serve as Summer’s guardian once she is called to her final resting place. Autumn appears to be the perfect fit, but Lady Cannon cannot be sure until she tests the depths of Autumn’s loyalty and commitment.

Autumn Frost by M.D. Schlatter is a tangled web of secrets harbored by Autumn, Lady Cannon, Edmund, and even Autumn’s deceased mother. The web of secrets slowly unravels as the characters become better acquainted. Autumn becomes a cherished member of Lady Cannon’s household. Edmund develops a friendship with his new farmhand, James, who also harbors a secret that will have a startling impact on the lives of Autumn and Edmund. While James struggles with the decision to share his secret with Edmund, he helps his employer unearth clues as to Autumn’s whereabouts.

Schlatter’s first novel in the Seasons of the Heart series is a story of love, relationships, personal growth, and faith. Autumn Frost is a Christian fiction novel that will be most appreciated and enjoyed by those who believe in God’s love and guiding hand. Lady Cannon frequently seeks her Lord’s advice and often quotes scripture in conversation. Schlatter uses her characters to provide a general explanation of Christianity, including the need to ask Jesus to forgive one’s sins, the story of Christmas, and the fact that God is everywhere and in everything. Readers who enjoy being reminded of God’s love and Jesus’s sacrifice will likely find great enjoyment in following Autumn along her journey.

As the story unfolds, it is unclear if the Lord will shelter Autumn in Michigan or if Edmund will be led to find her. Schlatter provides the reader with both Autumn and Edmund’s thoughts, feelings, and motives. I found myself simultaneously wanting Edmund to find Autumn to potentially make amends and hoping he wouldn’t find any meaningful clues so Autumn could maintain her newfound happiness. My mixed emotions are evidence of Schlatter’s excellent writing; I was able to sympathize with each character because I was able to connect with all of them.

The only thing I found disconcerting about Autumn’s tale is a confession of love from a man on the day she meets him. He prays to God to give him Autumn’s heart. The speed with which this occurs is unrealistic. Unfortunately, this is the first of two romantic relationships that come about without any development. The abrupt exclamations of love are disappointing because the evolution of the two relationships would have been enjoyable to follow.

Schlatter does a marvelous job of unraveling secrets, developing her characters, and sharing basic Christian tenants. I thoroughly enjoyed the book from the first page to the last and look forward to the sequel. I would happily give Autumn Frost four stars, but additional editing is needed, and the romantic relationships would be better if they were more developed. Although numerous, the editing errors are minor and limited to mistakes that do not significantly detract from the story: missing commas, commas where they aren’t needed, and the occasional mistyped word like continual instead of continuously. Primarily as a result of the aforementioned errors, I must give Autumn Frost 3 out of 4 stars.

Autumn Frost
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even with the additional editing, the summary you gave has me wanting to read the book. I feel sorry for Autumn and the lack of freedom she has. I can understand her wanting to run from home. I can't wait to see if she makes a good friend to Summer and is able to care for her!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:19 Even with the additional editing, the summary you gave has me wanting to read the book. I feel sorry for Autumn and the lack of freedom she has. I can understand her wanting to run from home. I can't wait to see if she makes a good friend to Summer and is able to care for her!
The required editing is minor, I probably wouldn't have noticed half of the errors if I weren't looking for them. This is the first book in the series, but it ends at a point where you could easily walk away from it feeling fulfilled, but if you wanted to follow the characters farther on their journey, there is book two to look forward to :)
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I keep adding books to my reading list and I so want to add this one, I just don't know when I'll be able to get to it. It sounds like it has great character development though. I get frustrated by the "easy love" that characters seem to fall into sometimes, I wish authors would let us in on how that love grows. Thanks for the great review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

AmySmiles wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:56 I keep adding books to my reading list and I so want to add this one, I just don't know when I'll be able to get to it. It sounds like it has great character development though. I get frustrated by the "easy love" that characters seem to fall into sometimes, I wish authors would let us in on how that love grows. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks AmySmiles! I have the same issue with my reading list. This website has opened me up to so many books I never would have discovered otherwise.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I think I would root for the reconciliation of Autumn and her father. Especially if there's a sequel :)
Awesome review, as always!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

That immediate love might be okay, it's happened often enough that the descriptions are now clichés ("eyes met across a crowded room and I knew" and "it was love at first sight"). My dad met my mom, told his family that night that he'd met the woman he was going to marry. They married and were besotted with each other until death parted them, almost 60 years together.
Or perhaps the man was shown a vision of the woman God had for him and he had a chance to fall in love with her before he met her somehow.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Schlatter does a marvelous job of unraveling secrets, developing her characters, and sharing basic Christian tenants. I thoroughly enjoyed the book from the first page to the last and look forward to the sequel. I would happily give Autumn Frost four stars, but additional editing is needed, and the romantic relationships would be better if they were more developed.
I love this description. I agree romantic relationships are better when they are given time to develop. Excellent review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a great setup. Plus, I like when an author changes narrators.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Lovely review. I hate how unrealistic romantic relationships in books are these days. Autumn's tale of personal growth sounds great but probably not for me. I liked reading your review though :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, Summer and Autumn were obviously made for each other. :lol: It sounds an interesting tale, such a pity about the editing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Fuzaila wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 04:55 Lovely review. I hate how unrealistic romantic relationships in books are these days. Autumn's tale of personal growth sounds great but probably not for me. I liked reading your review though :)
Thank you Fuzaila! Autumn was a lovely character in the beginning and I really felt bad for her situation. It was lovely to read about her growing into a young woman.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

A succinct and enticing review. Certainly makes me want to grab the book! It's too bad that deep, meaningful romantic relationships just popped out of the blue. I agree that that can be a tad disconcerting considering that it rarely happens that way in real life. Still, the plot sounds rich enough to grip one's attention to the end of the book. Thanks for this one!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Although Autumn's life was initially in bondage, God has made a way for her to escape and be happy caring for Summer. I still hope that Edmund will find her and come to the realization that he was keeping her in bondage. Thank you for your wonderful review of this book.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

If I were Autumn, I would have escaped earlier before attaining the age of 18. Young people of now a days shouldn't be treated this way as it is against their right.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”