Official Review: The Empty Light of Secrets by M A Street

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Official Review: The Empty Light of Secrets by M A Street

Post by Jackie Holycross »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Empty Light of Secrets" by M A Street.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Empty Light of Secrets by M. A. Street is just what the subtitle describes, Three Tales of Hidden Things. In each of the three stories, a secret is revealed in a compelling way. If you are a fan of Alfred Hitchcock and his surprising but believable twists, you will love this book.

In the first story, “The Pond” a teenage boy finds himself spending the summer on an old farm in Kentucky. The author does a great job of describing not only the environment but allowing the reader to soak in the slow pace of country life. The boy, Eddie, decides to explore the property out of boredom and a desire to get away from his younger siblings. His wanderings reminded me of my own summer visits to relatives in West Virginia. The landscape just calls to you and whole days can be spent visiting with nature. Eddie eventually finds a dried-up pond with logs half buried in the bottom. He spends many days clearing this area. I normally don’t like a slow-moving plot, but I was rooting for Eddie the whole time especially when he taught himself to drive a tractor to pull out the last log. His reward was water springing up and filling the pond. A few days later he comes to the pond to find a neighbor girl skinny dipping. Just another glimpse into country life. Eddie and the girl, Mel, become friends and eventually sweethearts. There is some mystery because Mel will only meet him at the pond and she never lets him walk her home. Their relationship continues to develop and eventually leads to a sexual encounter. This is no torrid romance, however. The author gives an accurate and touching account of two inexperienced young people discovering each other for the first time. The story continues as the main character helps restore the old farm and does some digging into where Mel lives. Then the huge twist is revealed and the whole world is turned upside down. I thought I knew where the mystery was leading, but I was completely wrong. I love when a story can take me by surprise, and this one definitely did. It was an absolute joy to read.

In addition to the great descriptions, the author is also skilled with figures of speech. For example, the removal of the tree from the bottom of the pond is effectively compared to a tooth extraction. Also, the pond itself is described as an “oasis from all imaginary cares, a wellspring of healing”. The main character himself is highly reflective and philosophical at times. Together this creates a style that is pleasant and relaxing to read.

The second and third stories were equally enjoyable. “Junior’s at the Y” is about a man writing his wife a letter to reveal a secret he could never admit during their life together. The author skillfully uses dialect in this story as well as exploring the issues of prejudice, love, religion, war, and family life. The third story “The Goat Man” is on the surface about a traveling baseball scout who falls in love. It is also about a town mystery involving a ‘demon goat’. However, intermixed are again issues of prejudice as well as lost dreams.

I am pleased to rate this book as 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the style and the deep thoughts as well as the surprises revealed. There is some mild cursing that is appropriate to the characters involved but might turn off some readers. Also, the sexual content, while realistic and not a huge part of the story, might not be appropriate for younger readers. Overall, I would recommend this amazing book to anyone who wants a relaxing read with lots of depth and great characters.

The Empty Light of Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I love a book with surprising and believable twists! The author’s descriptive writing style is also to its credit. Thank you for this informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The Empty Light of Secrets by M. A. Street is just what the subtitle describes, Three Tales of Hidden Things. In each of the three stories, a secret is revealed in a compelling way. If you are a fan of Alfred Hitchcock and his surprising but believable twists, you will love this book.
You had me at Alfred Hitchcock. :) Excellent review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I see that you are very happy with your read. Honestly, after reading your review I too want to read this book. Thank you for making it so compelling.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

You definitely got my attention with this one. It's a must read for me. Thanks for the captivating review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I like the review. Each story sounds really different from the last. I will consider checking it out.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I can relate with Eddie about the nature part. I too will get lost in thought mesmerizing at nature whenever I walk on the grassy road and I find it rejuvenating. I'm sold at the story of Eddie. Thank you for your thoughts on this.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I´ve always been fascinated by the topic of secrets and with an interesting writing style, this collection of stories sounds just right for me.
Thank you for your review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the examples of the descriptions you give. Plus, the believable twists to the story? You've got me hooked. Great review. Sounds like a must read!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I love your review! It has hooked me to want to read this book. Thank you!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I love a good twist. These sound like just my sort of stories. Will add to my Want to Read list. Nice review!
Jackie Holycross

Cecilia_L wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 00:45
You had me at Alfred Hitchcock. :) Excellent review!
I love Alfred Hitchcock. :D
Jackie Holycross

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 14:17 I love the examples of the descriptions you give. Plus, the believable twists to the story? You've got me hooked. Great review. Sounds like a must read!
It really was an awesome read. It surprised me because I tend to pick sci-fi and thrillers, but this was like a relaxing walk in the woods - soothing to the spirit.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The third story didn't really spark my interest, but your description of the first really made me want to know about Mel and why she will only meet at the pond. Lovely review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Splendid review. I'm mildly bothered by the inclusion of sexual encounter between teens in such a way, since young readers might be otherwise compelled to read the book.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”