Official Review: Freedom Compromised by Melissa Miceli

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Freedom Compromised by Melissa Miceli

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Freedom Compromised" by Melissa Miceli.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Freedom Compromised by Melissa Miceli is a gritty and raw fictional story depicting how humanity reacts when the United States is attacked. Although the author touches upon who caused the calamity, the focus is on formed relationships through it and those shattered by it.  

Tom is a single dad and is at home when a bomb explodes in his city. At first, it disorientates him, and he runs outside to figure out what happened. With seeing a mushroom cloud in the distance with hot ash falling, panic overwhelms him.  He realizes his daughter Emily is still at school and rushes off to locate her. Along the way through the city Tom encounters two men assaulting a woman, and he comes to her rescue. Since Tom showed such kindness in saving her, Melonie goes with him to search for his child. Is Emily still alive? Can they make it to a safe place to receive medical treatment before the radiation ravages their bodies? What follows is a neck-breaking race, overcoming obstacles of human and natural destruction, to get help.  

The story drew me in with its exploration of the human psyche. Fear, rage, shock, compassion, and despair are all exhibited in the characters. Disasters can bond the most unlikely people together. In the chaos, others cause havoc and prey upon the weak to satisfy their own desires. I think Miceli's depiction of a world after a nuclear attack is realistic although the emotion of anger seemed overplayed sometimes. Seeing how the attack affected children was the most heartbreaking and moving part for me.

This work has potential. However, there were various punctuation errors, and the writing was choppy with short sentences. Some characters get injured legs, but the author describes them as running to retrieve an item. Melonie and Tom display scorn for other people taking advantage of the situation to benefit themselves, but I found them to be hypocrites when Melonie steals a ring from an abandoned home. The storyline becomes redundant with Melonie always playing the damsel in distress, and everyone is out to get them. I also thought to have in-depth sex scenes were unnecessary, and it added no value to the storyline.

Most baffling for me, though, was the story being broken up into two sections. At the end of the first section, the author wraps it up by explaining what happens to everyone. I thought the second part was a different story, but no, it was a continuation of the first. The author gives the end of the story and then the middle, causing a disjointed narrative. It would have been better to do away with the sections and tell the story chronologically. 

I give Freedom Compromised 2 out of 4 stars. Anyone keen on psychological thrillers dealing with disasters might prefer reading this story. There are dark and disturbing moments throughout the narrative, along with multiple sex scenes. Because of those, I would recommend this book to mature audiences only.

Freedom Compromised
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I would agree that it has potential. I hope the author makes a revision to incorporate your suggestions.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. The story definitely has potential. Hopefully, the author will take note of your suggestions.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Despite the errors you mentioned, the book sounds very interesting. The use of archetypes doesn't really bother me (damsel in distress, etc.) and I love post-apocalyptic fiction. I will be adding this to my "want to read" bookshelf. Thanks for the review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! This is such a heart-wrenching tale of trauma and courage. I do hope that Tom finds his daughter in all this melee. I am so sorry about the editorial flaws. Thank you for a wonderful review.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'll pass right now, but with some editing I think this would really be a great book. Thanks for an honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I believe this work has potential. However, there were various punctuation errors, and the writing was choppy with short sentences. Melonie and Otis get injured legs, but the author describes them as running to retrieve an item. Melonie and Tom display scorn for other people taking advantage of the situation to benefit themselves, but I found them to be hypocrites when Melonie steals a ring from an abandoned home to give to Tom. The storyline becomes redundant with Melonie always playing the damsel in distress, and everyone is out to get them. I also thought to have in-depth sex scenes were unnecessary, and it added no value to the storyline

The hypocrisy and in-depth sex scenes are off-putting, but I appreciate your honest review.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The concept is good, and I think I would like this book if it were cleaned up a bit. I don't care for the section breaks; that seems unnecessary and confusing. Excellent review.
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

How can people with injured legs one moment, be runing to retrieve an item the next moment? Seems like the author didn't really proofread the story. Great review.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Was there no link between the two sections? like a continuation?
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Relationships are the building blocks of life.I would love to know how relationships are forged, and some destroyed when the US is attacked in this story.Nice review
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

melissy370 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 15:01 The story drew me in with its exploration of the human psyche. Fear, rage, shock, compassion, and despair are all exhibited in the characters. Disasters can bond the most unlikely people together.
Unfortunately, I’ve experienced first-hand disasters and found out this to be true. Somehow, tragedy sparkles solidarity and gets out the best of us, connecting us with unlikely people. Of course, there are also people who take advantage of the tragedy, luckily, in my experience, they’re very few.
I agree that this book has potential, but I think it might need some serious editing to be successful because the plot mistakes you mention are important and the fact that it’s divided but it’s the same story doesn’t make much sense and can be confusing to the reader.
Thanks for a very honest review.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

This sounded like it would be right up my street, but your mention of the disjointed chronology put me off. I don't want spoilers in the middle of the book, so will have to pass on this. Thanks for a great review :)
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's great that you've deliberately tried to find the positive aspects of this book even if those that don't meet your expectations had been more glaring. On the theme, a tragedy could indeed wreak havoc in human lives much more so if it is as catastrophic and life-changing as what the characters had to go through in the story. It takes great writing craft and skill to bring out that message of innate human weaknesses but also emphasise that there's always a reason behind every person's action. In real life, it is always ideal to see that human goodness shine through, too; I've seen such happen in more times than one and I believe there's enough reason to think that we'd be able to find more.

Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

You've done really well to give a well rounded review when it does appear the book has it's faults. Maybe if some of the changes you mentioned happen I might think of giving this a read
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”