Official Review: The Not So Secret World of a Male Nurse

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Official Review: The Not So Secret World of a Male Nurse

Post by OloladeO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Not So Secret World of a Male Nurse" by L C Perry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Not So Secret World of a Male Nurse by L C Perry is a Fiction staged in England and written from the protagonist's point of view. The story revolves around Mark Addison, who is in his early twenties and him venturing into the world of Nursing.

Mark was fazed with the notion that Nursing was a female’s job and that men who went into it were gay. However, comments from two people (his sister, Denise and his friend, Barry) about his capability of being a good Nurse steers him to entertain the thought of taking that career path. After much pondering, he applied to train as a Nurse in North Harbour Hospital because he had applied for jobs in several companies but was turned down and he desperately wanted to quit the factory job he had.

Fate smiled on him and he was one of the ten applicants selected to commence the training. He fell in love with Nursing and developed a passion for it. During the course of his training, he realized he wanted to be a District Nurse and worked tirelessly towards his goal.

Before Nursing, Mark had zero luck with the ladies. He had lost his self confidence as his expectations of himself had not been met. As soon as he got his acceptance letter, his confidence soared to incredible heights. Nursing afforded him tons of opportunities with the ladies which he took up and soon gained the reputation of being a ‘sexual predator’. He slept with scads of women not minding their age, marital status, size, etc. At a point, he was sleeping with 5 different women every week! Considering him being a playboy, will he remain focused and achieve his goal to become a District Nurse? Will he find love and commit to a relationship?

L C Perry gave such detailed accounts from a male perspective that I was impressed to find out she was a female. I must say she did a good job with this book. The characters are well developed which made them relatable. The character that intrigued me the most was the protagonist, Mark. His confidence really peaked and was blown away by his reaction to one of his mentors, Stephanie Montgomery who was a bully. He stood up to her and called her a horrible person to her face. At the end of that conversation, she gave him a very complimentary appraisal. Imagine that!

The book reminds me of ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ series and I am forced to wonder if that’s how it is in the real world with all the Sexcapades between Nurses and Doctors. What I liked most about the book was the author’s engaging writing style. It made it easy to read and she manages to keep you hooked as you wonder if Mark would change his roguish ways. There was really nothing I didn’t like about the book except that the conversations in the book are written in British English replacing ‘my’ with ‘me’ and virtually ending every sentence with ‘like’. It was disconcerting at first but I grew accustomed to it. There are several errors in the book but I didn’t find them distracting. Bearing this in mind, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I believe this book would benefit from a thorough round of editing.

I recommend this book for romance lovers and those that want a jolly book to relax with. This book is strictly for adults as countless sexual scenes can be found in it.

The Not So Secret World of a Male Nurse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like christabel88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

How nice to have a male's perspective regarding nursing. Sounds just like what I need for a weekend read. Thanks for your review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I too admire the protagonist's character development. He turned his life around by receiving training in the field of nursing, however, I do not like the fact that he became a male predator.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I often think male nurses are better as the ones that are in the field seem to be there because they have a heart for it. Thanks for the thorough review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Interesting book. But I often feel sick with so much romance scenes. Thanks for your warning. But this book is a good choice for romance lovers. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Reading about nursing from a male perspective appeals to me--the sexcapades, not so much. I appreciate your candid review.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Being a male nurse has its peculiarities. It is an area worth digging into and knowing more about, from a male's perspective. I do not appreciate the excessive sex scenes, though. Thanks for the warning and for the great review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds good. I like medical dramas so this book is up my alley. Plus, getting to read something with British English is something I have never done before.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I love books where female writers capture the emotions of male writers so well, and vice versa. Thank you for your splendid review! :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

I can imagine how intriguing this story was! Besides the part of Mark being a playboy, which is behavior I don't particularly condone, I find the story pretty interesting. I agree with you, it was pretty impressive of the author to bring out such a strong male perspective considering that she's female! Besides, she dispels the perceived notion that Nursing is an all female profession. Great job.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love some good steamy romance. Loved the review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Corhan2 wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 09:00 How nice to have a male's perspective regarding nursing. Sounds just like what I need for a weekend read. Thanks for your review!
Thanks for commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

crediblereading2 wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 09:20 Thank you for your comprehensive review. I too admire the protagonist's character development. He turned his life around by receiving training in the field of nursing, however, I do not like the fact that he became a male predator.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

AmySmiles wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 10:08 I often think male nurses are better as the ones that are in the field seem to be there because they have a heart for it. Thanks for the thorough review!
Thanks for commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 10:18 Interesting book. But I often feel sick with so much romance scenes. Thanks for your warning. But this book is a good choice for romance lovers. Thanks for this great review.
Thank you for commenting.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”