Official Review: Heart of a Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Official Review: Heart of a Child

Post by AmySmiles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heart of a Child" by members of Authors' Tale.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you remember what it was like to be a child? Do you often find yourself daydreaming about what it would be like to be a child again? If you are like me, you wish from time to time that you could go back to the simpler days when you didn’t have to worry about bills or responsibilities. What if you could pick up a book, go back to those times, and relive what it was like to be younger?

Heart of a Child by members of Authors' Tale is a collection of twenty-two short stories written by different authors. The theme of this anthology focuses on childhood. The book is separated into two sections one for young hearts containing stories that children would enjoy having read to them, and the young-at-heart portion with stories to help adults reflect on their younger years.

Each story includes the writing prompt that was used to help trigger the author’s imagination. I enjoyed this part of the book as it was interesting to see how each writer used the prompt to shape their story. The collection contained several different genres including fantasy, literary, romance, creative non-fiction, science fiction, paranormal, and other fiction. The book provides a list of 50 writing prompts at the end, if the reader feels inclined to join in and write their own stories.

This book includes a little something for everyone. Children will enjoy some of the light-hearted stories, while adults will appreciate the thoughtfulness of the others. This book is a light read. You could sit down and read several stories at once or read one at a time with a day or two in between. In general, I would say each story may take about 20 to 30 minutes to read.

I found only a couple of errors containing missing quotations and a plural word used instead of a singular. I could tell that each author put a lot of time into their story and took care to edit them well. It was obvious the group chose the best of the best stories to use in this book.

I happily grant a 4 out of 4 star rating for Heart of a Child. I enjoyed each story included in this book. Those that enjoy reading short stories in a multitude of genres will also find this collection enjoyable. I also believe that the stories in the young hearts section would be great to read to children.

Heart of a Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AmySmiles's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Of course I miss my childhood life. Children enjoy a worry free life thanks to the parents. I liked how the members of the Authors' Tale featured a collection of genres in the book, it makes the reading more interesting. Nice review right there. Thank you.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
adegbolababa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adegbolababa »

lt is true l likewise used to reminiscence on my childhood when l have nothing to care about. l also believed my father could do anything back then but there was that sickness he had that made me cried my heart out.
Oshodite
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oshodite »

How I wish I go back to my childhood experiences where I have nothing to think about. It's just that I can't change the calendar.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder

Post by AmySmiles »

Nerea wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 04:58 Of course I miss my childhood life. Children enjoy a worry free life thanks to the parents. I liked how the members of the Authors' Tale featured a collection of genres in the book, it makes the reading more interesting. Nice review right there. Thank you.
Most children let's hope do have a worry free life. It really did make the book enjoyable to have a variety. Thanks for the comment.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

adegbolababa wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 05:07 lt is true l likewise used to reminiscence on my childhood when l have nothing to care about. l also believed my father could do anything back then but there was that sickness he had that made me cried my heart out.
I'm sorry about your father. Mine too had an illness and died at a very young age. Thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Oshodite wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 07:06 How I wish I go back to my childhood experiences where I have nothing to think about. It's just that I can't change the calendar.
Nope we can't change the calendar, but books like this sure can help us go back to a happier time. Thanks for commenting.
–Author Unknown
juliecsa
Currently Reading: Gathering Blue
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliecsa.html
Latest Review: A Ghost in My Mirror by Olabisi Gwamna

Post by juliecsa »

This is such a sweet concept for a book! Seems like a great read. Nice review!
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

juliecsa wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 09:24 This is such a sweet concept for a book! Seems like a great read. Nice review!
Thank you, I really enjoyed this book. Even the genres that I'm not used to reading appealed to me in this collection. I appreciate your comment!
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As children, we can't wait to grow up and then the older we get, we realize how much we miss about childhood! I love the premise of this book. It sounds like an enjoyable read, as was your review.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Cecilia_L wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 10:11 As children, we can't wait to grow up and then the older we get, we realize how much we miss about childhood! I love the premise of this book. It sounds like an enjoyable read, as was your review.
Thanks Cecilia, that is the exact same thought I had. Even when you are a child and people tell you to enjoy it still all you wish is to be an adult. Realizing this in my mid 30's I try to now take wiser adults advice when they tell me snippets of wisdom like that. Yet I think we all fall into that wishing for something better or wishing to be at a certain stage in our life. That is healthy in a way too, because it gives us the determination to move forward. Thanks for commenting!
–Author Unknown
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It's really great when the author tries to involve the reader to the read. It must be really nice to go back to our childhood. Thank you for sharing this read!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 12:22 It's really great when the author tries to involve the reader to the read. It must be really nice to go back to our childhood. Thank you for sharing this read!
Thank you for the comment!
–Author Unknown
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. We often use writing prompts in my writing club and it’s amazing the variety of stories you can get from the same prompt.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Helen_Combe wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 14:23 Great review. We often use writing prompts in my writing club and it’s amazing the variety of stories you can get from the same prompt.
Yes, that is true, in fact I may should have mentioned this, but some of the stories had used the same writing prompt but were totally different. Thanks for mentioning that. I once read a book that had 4 or 5 stories and they all used the same first line to start with, but they all took a totally different direction. It can be quite interesting. Thanks for the comment.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”