Official Review: kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "kindred Journeys" by Marjorie Tapley-Olson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson is a work of fiction that takes readers on unforgettable trips to small, little-known towns and areas in America through its various highways and back roads. One of the trips details the story of a pregnant woman who encounters a great deal of misfortune on her travels.

After escaping her father’s wrath for the ‘mess’ she got herself into, a heavily pregnant Martha sets out on a road trip in pursuit of Farley, who skipped town when he found out she was pregnant. Her goal is to persuade him to settle down with her. However, not long after her trip begins, her car breaks down, and she ends up giving birth earlier than unexpected and to more than one baby. Despite this, Martha remains undeterred and continues her trip with her newborn babies in tow. Having left her broken down car behind and with no money in hand, she relies on hitchhiking to get her around. While trying to evade people’s growing suspicion of kidnapping and fighting off a predator, she makes a series of reckless decisions that result in her losing her kids. Will she ever get them back, and are they still live? What will Farley do when he learns about everything that has happened?

This novel is, without a doubt, one of the best character-driven narratives I’ve ever read. From the start, I was drawn into Martha’s personality, her complexities, and her quirks, despite the fact that I questioned most of her decisions. Despite Martha having reservations about telling lies, she told plenty of them and could whip them on the spot. At times, I thought some of her lies were unnecessary. At other times, I found it amusing how she fooled those she encountered with her lies up until I realized that she had fooled me too! The fact that I ate up one of her lies and was none the wiser impressed and surprised me because I thought I knew everything about her.

The other main characters’ distinct personalities also shined through because they breathed life into the narrative, steadily enticing me into their world of adventures and sometimes misadventures. I especially appreciated how the author masterfully depicts the characters’ self-reflection, the changing relationship dynamics between characters in different stages of their lives, and how their growth—and sometimes lack of it—affects how they continue to deal with events that come their way. Some of my favorite characters include Ariel and Michael, both of whom I quickly grew attached to. I found myself looking forward to their accounts and journeys in life. Michael’s intellect, sarcasm, and worldview intrigued me, while Ariel’s personality and determination fascinated me. Their contrasting personalities and meaningful conversations sometimes arguments made their interactions a pleasure to read.

Written in the third person, the author purposefully pulls readers back and forth between time periods, settings, and, of course, transforming characters. I loved that even though the story often shifts focus to a number of different characters, the plot never once lost focus. I very much enjoyed piecing together the links between the characters and their tales. I also relished the vivid descriptions of landscapes and towns they visited.

Some of the characters dialogues are written in dialect to convey their background; I found most of the dialect easy to read, while I found some that took me a while to get used to. I don’t mind a large cast of characters, but quite a few characters that only appear once are mentioned by name. I thought this was a little unnecessary because naming them gave the impression that they were important and that I would encounter them again.

This being the author’s first adult novel proves her to be a formidably gifted writer. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more books by Marjorie Tapley-Olson. I rate this superbly-written, multilayered tale full of twists and turns 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this novel to anyone looking for a compelling character-driven narrative with a good sense of humor.

kindred Journeys
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Martha is such a strong character with all her lie, although lying is not a virtue. I really enjoy your review.
roys1234
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by roys1234 »

Must be a good novel with twists and turns as Martha's life is full of twist and turns
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I can only imagine the tangle of lies she would have gotten herself too. There is a saying I believe by Mark Twain that "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember." I enjoyed your review. Thank you.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Wow, such an amazing novel here... I'm going for this!!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I feel when a book features the kind of strong character-driven plot you described it transcends genres for me. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

A person who is crushed under a difficult circumstances knows it's weight rather than the person who looks from the surface. It must be a touching read. There must be women in this world who has gone through so much in life this story is for them. Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Such a strong story, I love the books where you get to know the characters in many dimensions. Thank you for your great review!
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Wow! The plot sounds intense, quirky, and emotional. Martha sounds like a very good character, one that is likable and admirable. Thanks for reviewing. I'll add this one to my "to read" list.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This one will be on my immediate to-read list. I appreciate an intricate novel with lively characters and an authentic dialogue. Thanks for the fantastic review; I enjoyed it immensely.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow. I can’t believe she hitchhiked with newborns. That’s intense.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book following a pregnant woman's journey across time and half a continent sounds powerful. Complex characters, great character-driven tale, and smooth time transitions make a good tale. That it was well-edited is another plus. Martha sounds quite the character, with her flaws and strengths. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I don't think I will be checking this book out. While reading the sample, the book just seemed to move to slow for me.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds like a sad and at the same time intriguing story. I can't wait to find out if she ever reconciled with her children. Thanks for your review.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

I must admit that this is an intriguing fiction novel that everyone can look up to. I would love to read and see if I can feel what the reviewer felt like as stated in this review. Great piece

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”