Featured Official Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel [January 2020 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Featured Official Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel [January 2020 Book of the Month]

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Man Mission by Eytan Uliel is a discovery of beautiful places the world has to offer through the lives of four friends. It is the tour to distant lands to rejuvenate and rediscover what else there is to life. While on campus, the main character forms a friendship with Sam, a guy who he first assumed to be an arrogant brat. When he tours the Food Fair held on the campus alongside his newly found friend, they come up with an idea that will have an impact on them as well as their other two friends, Alec and Daniel, for ages to come.

Years pass without revisiting the conversation that was held at the Food Fair as each of the friends settles into their careers until one day, Sam makes a phone call to his long-lost pal. A ritual is begun that will last for years to come. In that very moment, both friends establish Man Mission! Their first trip takes them to New Zealand where a painful experience slows them down. This, however, does not deter them from similar future adventures. Daniel and Alec join the founders later on. Each year there is a new place to be discovered. From biking in Japan, river kayaking in Australia, touring the jungles of South Africa to chasing the northern lights in Iceland, Man Mission changes the participants’ lives forever. All these adventures happen amidst changing family dynamics that bring both joy and pain to the four men.

I found the treatise to be incredibly captivating. First, the author follows the thrilling happenings of the four friends’ Man Mission adventures while interjecting these with bouts of occurrences in their lives. That way I got a snapshot of their lives back home and still got a chance to get fascinated by what they had accomplished during their trips.

Each trip is filled with enthralling adventure, remarkable moments of humor, funny characters and some mentions of the comical ‘Man Mission Rules’. Additionally, every flashback included, that showcases the main character’s family life or that of his friends, presents a different side of the story that ultimately adds suspense to the book.

Every dialogue is skillfully designed to fit the plot. Sometimes the conversations are humorous, other times they are emotive or insightful. The book is also a candid account of a man’s viewpoint on many issues of life from relationships, marriage, fatherhood, career and everything in between. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed every chapter and every page of it. Any fan of books on travel incorporating twists of real life will love Man Mission by Eytan Uliel.

Man Mission
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I have a feeling this book would make me want to travel the world!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I have always liked to travel, so I think this book would be very interesting. The group has chosen some interesting places to visit. This looks good. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. A Man Mission? It's kind of like The Reel Sisters except based around a group of guys. It sounds very character-driven which I do enjoy sometimes. I'll put this on my list. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elvis93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis93.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Elvis93 »

A book full of adventures, funny characters, emotive and insightful conversations. I think i will enjoy reading it. thank you for the review
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A contemporary Fiction revolving around the travels of four friends in exotic places sounds exciting. It is nice that they kept the ritual they started in college. The combination of travels and home life add another dimension to the tale. Not sure it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I dislike books involving a bunch of friends, and this travelogue-esque tale will not be the exception.
Last edited by MsTri on 06 Aug 2019, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

I’ll definitely read this book.
Seems like an amazing experience to have.
Great review 👍🏻
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

I saw this book on the OBC and wanted to read it! After reading your review I’m going to read it. It was a great review and it sounds like a great book. Getting to know these for friends as they travel the world sounds exciting!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This sounds like a very interesting book filled with adventure, new experiences and lessons and friendship. The review was awesome, and I would very much like to read this book.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I realize this review was written a while ago, but I have read a lot of reviews of this book written since then, and this is definitely the best review of this book I have seen. It is the only one that makes me actually want to read the book. I love that the scenes back in "real life" are told from different perspectives, in order to give the reader a more fully realized account of what is happening "back home".
AshleyP7
Favorite Book: The Sneaky Lass
Currently Reading: The Wizard's Ward
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reading Device: B00G5JOSQ2

Post by AshleyP7 »

Normally I'm all in on books that tell so many different perspectives, but the premise and plot just don't sound like they'd fit into my normal reading genre. Maybe on a rainy day?
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

I love reading because books can transport me to hundreds of places. With this book, I can visit a couple of places around the world! I have never read a book like that before. Great review, I'll be sure to check it out!
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

Great review!
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Sounds like an intriguing adventure. I'd like to know what happens to these four friends in their Man Mission.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”