Official Review: When the Eye Sees Itself by Eric Borgerson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Re: Official Review: When the Eye Sees Itself by Eric Borgerson

Post by meadhbh »

I love dystopian fiction, and this book has a great title and cover so I think I would have picked it up even if I hadn't read your review. However, I'm fascinated by any concept of dividing society into different factions, as I think it's a really interesting reflection on human nature, and I think I could forgive the slow pacing. Great review!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Oh wow, this definitely gives me Divergent vibes, as a few other people have mentioned. XD The plot genuinely seems really interesting, although I'm a little put off by what you said about the seemingly-unfinished story threads, oops. Still, I'm inclined to pick this book up for a try!

Thank you for your thoughtful, nuanced review! :D
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

meadhbh wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 06:30 I love dystopian fiction, and this book has a great title and cover so I think I would have picked it up even if I hadn't read your review. However, I'm fascinated by any concept of dividing society into different factions, as I think it's a really interesting reflection on human nature, and I think I could forgive the slow pacing. Great review!
I hope you enjoy it.
Jackie Holycross

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 11:14 Oh wow, this definitely gives me Divergent vibes, as a few other people have mentioned. XD The plot genuinely seems really interesting, although I'm a little put off by what you said about the seemingly-unfinished story threads, oops. Still, I'm inclined to pick this book up for a try!

Thank you for your thoughtful, nuanced review! :D
One character's true identity is never revealed, but I'm pretty sure that was on purpose. Still, I want to know since so many other character reveals were astounding. The other stuff was small. You would probably enjoy the book.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Great review! In immediately thought of Divergent, but realized there is a different angle brought to light with the interconnectedness of the classes. I was impressed by how the author wove together the ah-ha moments; that's not an easy feat! Pacing aside, this book sounds like it can hold its own. Thanks!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I love ah-ha moments in books, but I'm definitely not a fan of slow pacing. Even so, I might check it out. Thank you for your review :)
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I like the overall concept of this book. I am curious as to how Vulnerables get classified into that group. I don't like that the ending doesn't wrap everything up though. I'm afraid I'll be left feeling disappointed. I'll keep this book in mind though. Overall, it sounds like a good book.
Jackie Holycross

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 10:59 I love ah-ha moments in books, but I'm definitely not a fan of slow pacing. Even so, I might check it out. Thank you for your review :)
I think the reveals were my favorite part. It was amazing how some characters were connected and who some of the hidden identities were. Enjoy.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am a fan of dystopian fiction, so I am glad this novel more or less does justice to the genre. The intermezzos you mentioned could actually work just fine for me if they include more details on the dystopian world in the book. If the characters are credible and relatable, a less alert pace may not necessarily bother me. Thanks for your interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

The Vulnerables sound much like people who are treated like second-class citizens in the U.S. today. They might be legally citizens but are treated as "less than."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Jackie Holycross

cristinaro wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 06:32 I am a fan of dystopian fiction, so I am glad this novel more or less does justice to the genre. The intermezzos you mentioned could actually work just fine for me if they include more details on the dystopian world in the book. If the characters are credible and relatable, a less alert pace may not necessarily bother me. Thanks for your interesting review!
The book really does have a lot to offer. You might enjoy it.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I always enjoy reading your reviews. This sounds interesting. I like these types of books, but I'm a little concerned about the pacing. It is refreshing that there were few errors in the book though. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross

AmySmiles wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 13:49 I always enjoy reading your reviews. This sounds interesting. I like these types of books, but I'm a little concerned about the pacing. It is refreshing that there were few errors in the book though. Thanks for the review!
Thanks. I appreciate you stopping by.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I like both your review and also the book which has a story based on dystopia literature and science fiction. I also liked the system where people are divided into 3 groups in which group of aggressive people are imprisoned, whereas group of mild and soft people are kept in protection. Nice imagination by the author.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Jackie Holycross

sanjus wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 13:22 I like both your review and also the book which has a story based on dystopia literature and science fiction. I also liked the system where people are divided into 3 groups in which group of aggressive people are imprisoned, whereas group of mild and soft people are kept in protection. Nice imagination by the author.
The world-building was well done.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”