Official Review: The 24th Life by Michele E Mathews

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The 24th Life by Michele E Mathews

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 24th Life" by Michele E Mathews.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This time, it was his turn. In his 24th and final life, James would finally feel the thrill of true love. Author Michele E. Mathews tells the tale of Charlie, James, Abrielle, and their unique love triangle in The 24th Life: Sometimes the Black Sheep Wins.

Charlie, James, and Abrielle are three spirits who have been tied together for twenty-three lifetimes on Earth. In all of their twenty-three lives, Charlie and Abrielle have fallen madly in love, and James was left to feel heartbreaking jealousy. But not this time. His twenty-fourth life is his last, and James will stop at nothing to ensure that he meets Abrielle before Charlie. James will win her undying love, and all will be as it should be. Unfortunately for James, Charlie and Abrielle, known as Claire in this lifetime, meet first. It is love at first sight again. James cannot bear it. He quickly creates a plan to set things right.

When Charlie’s DNA is found at the scene of a little girl’s murder, he is imprisoned. As Charlie tries to figure out who has set him up and works to build his defense, Claire struggles with the possibility that her beloved could be a vicious monster.

This is an engaging story from start to finish. The suspense captured my attention early in the book and held it to the last page. The variety of characters in this book made it easy to relate to many of the personalities in the story. Each character is beautifully developed with their own unique flaws and personality. I was emotionally invested in all of their stories. These well-developed characters experience refreshing growth. It was enjoyable to let go and follow a story about spirits and an “in-between world.”

This is a well-written novel. However, the many grammar errors were such a disappointment. These errors were a constant distraction and disrupted the flow of the story. There is an entire paragraph of random characters. This e-book would benefit from professional editing and formatting.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The story is written with understandable language, and this makes it very easy to follow from each moment to the next. Still, the many editing, formatting, and grammar errors caused too many distractions. I recommend this novel to all fiction readers. I would describe this book as a cross between fantasy and romance. This story highlights the idea that true love transcends space and time.

The 24th Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

By the time I read the mid of your review I though it is truly an engaging read. I pictured the story going on. This reminded me of the story called Rapture by Lauren Kate. If I ever get a chance I will definitely read this book.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

What a clever idea for a story! Love the premise, and the idea that James frames his love rival for murder, so desperate is he to win Claire’s affection. Pity about the editing.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Ooooh I love the concept of living multiple lives! I must say though, I'm over love triangles in novels so I won't be reading this book anytime soon. Your review is absolutely amazing, by the way.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I have a love/hate relationship with this type of story. I hate when someone tries to tear apart true love, but I want to get to the end where true love prevails (if it does). I like the twist of the murder set up. Sounds very intriguing. Hope the errors get corrected soon. That is so frustrating.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I like that the story is engaging and it steals attention. Thanks for the review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Despite the poor editing, this seems like a really interesting story. I'll be checking it out. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

I love the twist to how many lives we could get. James and all the characters look to be exciting. I hope James gets the girl this time or maybe Charlie is her true love. Thank you for a very good review. I hope to read this book one day.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”