Official Review: Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Salt of the Earth" by Kate Moschandreas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the year 2038, the world (as imagined by author Kate Moschandreas) is ravaged by drought and dust, and permeated by vast networks of surveillance technology. Salt of the Earth, though technically a futuristic dystopian sci-fi novel, is terrifying in its realism and relevance to our current world. The novel’s seamless integration of technological advances with daily life 20 years from now flows logically from our current obsession with smart phones and screens, and the backdrop of climate change speaks to issues that are as likely to affect us then as they do now.

The novel’s protagonist, Jess, is a young scientist working with a new material called graphene. She receives a strange message on her Keeper (which is essentially a smart watch with advanced features) that summons her to the house of her past professor and boyfriend, David. She arrives in time to see him beaten and captured, and narrowly escapes herself. While on the run, she attempts to figure out what is happening, and meets another young man named Matteo. Though at first it appears that Matteo is simply in the right place at the right time, helping her out of the goodness of his heart, it turns out that he has also been tracking her for some time per the assignment of the surveillance firm that employs him. Nonetheless, they form a connection, and it doesn’t take long for Matteo to realign his interest and efforts to keeping Jess safe and helping her piece together the mystery of their situation.

Matteo and Jess are pursued by at least two competing entities, both of which seem to be after a new invention to desalinate ocean water and create an abundance of fresh water for farming and personal use. Jess realizes that her work with graphene is key to putting together the new technology, and that her ex, David, had been stealing her research and attempting to patent the technology himself. She and Matteo attempt to evade their pursuers but realize quickly that the only way out of this situation is through it. They must figure out a way to outsmart the greedy companies and violence-prone political powers, to save themselves, and to somehow return the desalinization solution to the general public.

Despite its futuristic fictional setting, this story is sexy, smart, and (in my opinion) most importantly, believable. The technological concepts are described in a detailed yet simple way, using actual scientific terminology, rather than just made-up terms like so many other sci-fi stories. Though typically I am not a fan of stories that include a lot of action scenes, the action within this novel is crafted beautifully. The scene descriptions are vivid and memorable, yet the violence is not gratuitous or excessive.

Furthermore, the character development is effective and well-nuanced. Jess, as our lead, is a strong and intelligent woman, employed in a very male-dominated field of study. However, she also displays a range of emotions, including vulnerability and fear, which do not take away from her rationality or self-assurance. Matteo, as her counter, also has a complex and multi-faceted emotional backstory. While he grieves the loss of his ex-wife and struggles with conflicting alliances to his employers and Jess, he exhibits a balance of tenderness and bravado that demonstrates the depth with which the author has endowed all of the characters. Even the side-characters have fascinating and rich back stories. None are painted as entirely good or evil, but are instead simply human, with all of the greed and fear and prejudice that humanity entails.

Other than a small handful of typos (primarily in the form of missing or extra words), I did not have any complaints about this book. The plot was highly enjoyable, and moved quickly from one event to the next, yet still took the time to paint an emotional progression in the protagonists. This is a novel that a wide range of readers can enjoy – those who love futuristic, dystopian, and sci-fi stories, those who enjoy works featuring strong and intelligent female leads, as well as those who enjoy fast-paced action novels (and movies). Though there is some violence, it is rendered tastefully, and therefore I believe this book would even be appropriate for teenage readers.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would also be quite interested in a big screen adaptation of this work, as I believe the male/female duo in this book are exactly the kinds of characters that translate well into an action thriller. Due to the mix of feminine and masculine characteristics in the two main characters, the film would have a potential to reach a wide audience.

Salt of the Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I am glad you liked the book, it really sounds terrific and maybe possible, realistic. Jess looks like a very interesting woman, a powerful character. And the side characters that are not just good or bad are something I would like to read. Thank you for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! You've sold me on this one. A futuristic, dystopian novel that is mostly believable? Definitely right up my alley! I'm going to have to check this one out! Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This book sounds like it's right up my alley, gosh. It might be because most dystopian books out there are YA that I'm not really drawn to dystopian fiction as a genre, but this one seems amazing, especially because it mixes in sci-fi as well! (Also it doesn't seem to have a love triangle, which is always a plus. XD)

Thank you for writing this review--it was really detailed, and you've definitely captured my attention with your enthusiasm for the book! :D
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm up for this one too. I love dystopian stories, and the whole environmental issues angle sounds great.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

The plausibility of the scene really grabs my attention. I can see myself getting involved and wanting more from this sexy and smart thriller. Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Great review, and it sounds like a really fantastic book. I really appreciate the point about the science being credible - and, as you say, great to have a strong intelligent woman as a lead character.
trulyfreeclub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by trulyfreeclub »

Thank you for the review. My first impression with the book title "Salt of the Earth" is that this is inspired from the bible. To my surprise, it is sci-fi. I know about graphene, as a carbon-based substance 1,000 times stronger than steel, cannot be used to desalinate sea water. Though I have not yet read the book fully, but I'm curious how the story is plotted. I'm just thinking that maybe it is not scientifically research but I'm sure it is well written. Kudos to the author.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

You got me with dystopian sci-fic! I love the genre. A futuristic dystopian book revolving around a young scientist on the run sounds good. Radical environmentalists are after her scientific discoveries and will stop at nothing to get it. Sadly, the premise doesn't sound too far-fetched. The concept of a Keeper sounds cool! It is good that there were only small handful of typos, and hopefully it was fixed by now. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

This sounds a like a great futuristic thriller with lots of relevance to today's society. I personally love this genre and cant wait to give it a try.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I can't believe we're going to run out of usable water in 20 years! At least, that's what this book says. Jess, the scientist, has been working for a way to desalinate ocean water. Of course, selfish, greedy people try to pass off her ideas as their own, or just outright kidnap her. How exciting!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! This dystopian/scifi/action thriller sounds incredible. Not only because I love a good strong female lead but the issue of what we are doing to ourselves and our planet with growing technology and abuse of the earth. The most frightening part is that this sounds completely plausible and in the not so distant future. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Krish13
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Krish13 »

Dystopia. I am fascinated with dystopian literature. I love other such novels like 1984, The Brave New World.
Neha_20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-20.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Post by Neha_20 »

It's great how you found the futuristic setting of the story believable. I often avoid reading science fiction books as I find it difficult to relate to them. Really enjoyed reading your detailed review. Thank you!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing science fiction thriller that had a captivating plot and built-in suspense that forced me to always keep reading. The book is free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful onlinebookclub review. Congrats on being the BOTD.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”