Official Review: Just a Shelter Dog by Sally H. Cronk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Just a Shelter Dog by Sally H. Cronk

Post by Haute_Coffee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Just a Shelter Dog" by Sally H. Cronk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the smallest puppy in the litter, Runtie didn’t get the best start at life. Abused by her owner, his mother escaped and was nearly killed on a highway while pregnant with him. After being brought to a shelter, the mother gives birth and her littlest pup gets stuck in the birth canal. But Runtie soon proves he is a survivor and possesses a special gift. Runtie is more than just a shelter dog.

Written by a former special education teacher, Just a Shelter Dog is a charming story told from the dog’s perspective. Runtie starts his life in the shelter and shares his innocent puppy thoughts about his surroundings, his litter mates, and the humans who care for him. As he grows, he narrates the expanding story of his life as he finds a forever home and makes some very special friends.

Although Runtie grows to be a large and gangly hound mix, he possesses a gentle soul behind his gigantic paws. It isn’t long before his talents for calming and befriending anxious dogs and humans come out. Soon, his true calling emerges. When Runtie meets Ollie, a small boy who has retreated into a mysterious world of his own, his purpose becomes clear. Can Runtie help Ollie reconnect with the people who love him?

Sally H. Cronk weaves a touching and meaningful story in Just a Shelter Dog. The book is sprinkled with dog facts and portrays autism in a compassionate and realistic way. Although the first part is told from the perspective of the dog, the second half of the novel has many narrators. The multiple points of view give different perspectives on Ollie’s problems and how his life with autism affects the people around him. It is a story of empathy and selflessness, as Runtie devotes his life to helping Ollie.

It was wonderful to read a story told through the eyes of a dog. Any pet owner wonders from time to time what their animal companion is thinking and how they really feel. The story reminded me of a book I read a child called Socks, by Beverly Clearly. The story of an unwanted kitten who is adopted by a young couple, it was also narrated from the perspective of the pet. As a child, I delighted in the little “peek” at what was going on in a cat’s mind, and learned from the little facts about cats in the book. Similarly, I believe an older child would enjoy Just a Shelter Dog. Not only does the book portray a dog’s feelings of devotion and loyalty, but it provides a compassionate look at a differently-abled character, which is important for young readers.

I gave Just a Shelter Dog 4 out of 4 stars. It was a beautiful story which was very well written. It is a quick and easy read; in fact, I read it in one sitting. I think it would be appropriate for a middle school child, although parents should be cautioned about one brief scene. At one point, Runtie comforts his owner after she has a nightmare. His owner, who suffered bullying as a teenager at the hands of her ex-boyfriend, has a dream in which the boy finds her and tries to choke her. While not overly graphic, parents should still vet this portion of the book before deciding its appropriateness for their child. Even as an adult reader, I enjoyed Just a Shelter Dog a great deal. It is a shining example of love and empathy, expressed by humans but role-modeled by a dog.

Just a Shelter Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Haute_Coffee's review? Post a comment saying so!
Moonfrog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Moonfrog »

Very nice review.
I, too, like the idea of the story being told from the dog's perspective.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds amazing. My daughter who volunteers at a shelter would love it.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too bad about the abuse, there are enough dogs who gets abused by their owners. Such a sad affair! I saw certain photos that showed the harm the owner had inflicted on their dogs, such heart wreaking moment. Dogs are lovable beings, loyal, fun-loving companions. I don't have a dog since I have a complicated life style but I sure would love to have a dog. It's very nice that the author relates this story to the little pups perspective, it gives out about what he feels and that he is a tough cookie. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I love that we get to see the dog's perspective! What an innovative idea. This book sounds inspiring and touching; I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it. Thanks for your beautiful review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a really lovely book for older children, though I appreciate the warning about the nightmares. Thanks for your engaging review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a lovely book, thank you!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

A dog's perspective and autism. Take my money. I tried to write something like that when I was little, but failed. I am sure it is a touching story.
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

This book sounds interesting to read . And I totally love the title, it is simple with a lot of deeper meaning. I think that there's a lot a child can learn through this book ;that one should not judge another by appearance alone but through the actions .Thanks for the well written review. Nice job!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love the fact that Runtie has a very interesting and intelligent personality for a dog. Excellent review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I also read and reviewed this book. It is an amazing love story between man (and woman) and his (her) best friend. I'll always remember Singer. He is more than just a hound dog, whatever else Elvis says.
Onet
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Onet »

The book sounds interesting, it actually will make pets owners have a deep thought on how their pet feel
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It was wonderful to read a story told through the eyes of a dog.
Reading through your initial sentences, I was already about to say the same words as this set of yours. You're quite spot on! What more could I say?

Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

A lovely book! Pets are such an important part of our lives and they sure can make a difference, as I hope happened with Runtie and Ollie. I'm glad autism is portrayed in a sensitive and realistic way. When done correctly, switching points of views can give a great perspective of the plot and I'm sure it's very interesting to read what happens through a dog's point of view.
Amazing review, thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”