Official Review: Reconciliation ~Heaven and Earth~

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Reconciliation ~Heaven and Earth~

Post by Kat Berg »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reconciliation ~Heaven and Earth~" by Diane de Simone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if someone could prove to you, scientifically, that aliens existed? After all, Stephen Hawking believed the existence of aliens to be likely. Are we so much wiser than him to doubt? In Reconciliation: Heaven and Earth by Diane de Simone we are brought along for the ride as Martha Mathewson’s belief of what is and what is not possible are challenged, and her entire life is rocked.

After years in a promising career, world-renowned astrophysicist, professor, and husband to Martha, Don Mathewson, began talking about and researching ET's in a way that was borderline fanatical. As the book opens Don has just died under mysterious circumstances, and his death is complicated by his recent estrangement from Martha.

Martha is a 48-year-old professor of cognitive psychology and she just wants to leave all the complications behind. This desire is further fueled by a creepy, and threatening, attempt at seduction by Kyle, Don’s grad student. And so Martha runs away, changes her name back to Marti Kahn, as she was known as a college student in New York. But it is not so easy as all that to leave the complications and troubles behind.

Marti, along with her daughter Deidre, a new friend and musician Larry, and old friends Bill and Yvonne Nilson, begin an adventure of government secrets, alien cover-ups, and an ever-present danger. What should she do with her husband's files? Why does the government want them? Who keeps breaking into her house to get them? What is in the hidden drawer in her husband's old desk? These things are putting her in danger! Who can she trust? Only time will tell.

Simone weaves a tale that brings together science, New Age-style Buddhism, and a little dash of save-the-universe-with-love that is a clever and engaging story. One of the fascinating parts of the book, for me, was how she weaved in science with New Age Buddhist beliefs. I say New Age because it doesn’t quite read like historical Buddhism, and I am unsure how many of the tenets found in the book would be recognized in more traditional Buddhism. That being said, Simone did a credible job of making a convincing argument for aliens based on this blending of science and religion, even though it is a work of fiction.

However, Simone had a little harder time with the third person narrative. There are times when the writing comes across a little bit like an alien observing and reporting on events. That isn’t the problem, though. The problem comes when the writing becomes warmer and less distant but then goes back to the alien observing style. The times of warmth make the others moments feel a bit stiff and unfinished. To give an example of how this reads: “Suddenly, her head snaps back and she focuses on her task at hand. She reaches over to grab a few more of the books that still inhabit a lower bookshelf. She tosses them into a half-filled box in front of her in this room that is itself half-packed up…” (p. 11).

Another difficulty I had with the book was Simone’s use of idioms. For example, a 48-year-old woman speaking with text-speak “WTF” and “OMG” (the actual letters) while her 20-something daughter says, “Well, it’s been right on speaking with you.” It is disconcerting in these circumstances, because the language does not match the age of the character, and at other times it simply feels forced. A little like that awkward teacher who is trying too hard to be cool. It is incredibly challenging to write with slang in a way that sounds natural. But using alternative spellings of cool (kewl) in conversation isn't the way to do it.

In addition to the above issues, the book could use a quick once more with an editor. There are not a ton of mistakes, mostly along the lines of missing words, misplaced quotations, commas, and awkwardly worded sentences. But there are enough of these kinds of errors that an additional edit would be beneficial.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an enjoyable and quick read. It has little bad language and only the mildest of sex scenes. Even though the book has moments of action, any gore is found “off-camera.” People who like books about government conspiracy on alien life, those who enjoy other/sci-fi writing, and those who are merely curious about how science, aliens, and Buddhism all come together will all appreciate this book.

Reconciliation ~Heaven and Earth~
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kat Berg's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I'm a bit anti conspiracy theories but I do like all that Tao of Physics stuff, and Buddhism and Physics sounds just as good. I will also confess (as someone who will definitely never see 48 again) to using WTF myself, though I tend to avoid OMG and I definitely hate 'kewl'. So, bit of a curate's egg, then. I enjoyed your review and I think having a strong central female figure into cognitive psychology clinches it - it's going on the 'want to read' list. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this does have an interesting premise. I'm just unsure if it's really something I would enjoy. I really do appreciate the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

Libs_Books wrote: 28 Apr 2018, 10:01 I'm a bit anti conspiracy theories but I do like all that Tao of Physics stuff, and Buddhism and Physics sounds just as good. I will also confess (as someone who will definitely never see 48 again) to using WTF myself, though I tend to avoid OMG and I definitely hate 'kewl'. So, bit of a curate's egg, then. I enjoyed your review and I think having a strong central female figure into cognitive psychology clinches it - it's going on the 'want to read' list. Thanks.
I am not much of a fan of conspiracy theory books, but this one was a fun read in spite of that. At the end of the day, my critiques are fairly minor and didn't stop me from enjoying the book. I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it! Thanks for commenting :)

@kandscreely, I think it is possible you might enjoy it. I think the Buddhist element might be your biggest turnoff, but it is fascinating how she blends it together with astrophysics. It is, however, a big aspect of the book.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Fiction book blending Science and religion is a great combination but I'm not into Buddhism. I'm sorry to hear about the wrong choice of words and the languages that did not match the age and the profession. Thanks for the honest review.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't think I'm too keen on the Buddhist - New Age or otherwise - aspect or conspiracies in general, but everything else sounds so right up my alley that I'm willing to overlook them. I also love a good alien tale full of mystery, so I'll find the time to read this somehow. I DO wonder what the "Heaven" in the title refers to too, unless it just means the space above the earth.

And jftr, I'll be 50 in October and I have yet to give up using text speak/slang; I don't think the "young" should have the market cornered on being "in the know". My friends are the same way and my facebook is littered with older persons using the verbage, so Idt a 48-year old character using it is so outside of the realm of possibility. Yolo, right? *lol*
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

Ooh, :) My 48 year-old self is getting a lot of flak for that particular critique! lol!

@MsTri, the title made me think that it was a non-fiction book at first before I looked closer. Indeed, I almost mentioned it in my review. It does make sense in the context of the book. All I will say is it has to do with how she brings together the role of aliens, Buddhism, and astrophysics. I hope you like the book!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”