Official Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Small Change" by Keddie Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Small Change by Keddie Hughes is a contemporary novel about a woman who is at a crossroads in her personal life. Set in Glasgow, Scotland, it can be categorized as general fiction. Forty-one-year-old Izzy Campbell volunteers at the Citizens’ Advice Bureau while attending college part-time. She contemplates leaving her alcoholic husband Jim as their son is almost ready to go off to college. At her job, Izzy meets Sean, a journalist who is investigating a football team for financial corruption. She becomes involved in the case, mainly due to her flirty infatuation with him and a thirst for a little adventure. Adding to the mix is Jim’s company is vying for an alarm contract with the same team.

This book captured my attention right from the first few pages. All of the characters are well drawn, even the supporting crew. Izzy is a very relatable character who is weary of her husband’s behavior and yearns for something more in life. Although Jim is a sympathetic character at times, he is still a drunk who bumbles through his work and home life. It’s pretty clear that Izzy would love for her husband to basically disappear. In contrast, Sean is utterly charming. My favorite line in the book is when Sean says, “But the loveliest thing about you, Izzy, is you have no idea how lovely you are.”

The author is able to juggle various parts of the story with ease, including revealing conversations between Jim and his therapist (for his drinking problem). Snippets of these therapy sessions appear at the end of each chapter and give additional insight into Jim’s character.

The author does a good job of weaving the subplots together without veering the story off track. One exception, however, is the small political plotline involving Izzy’s friend Bridget. Although their close friendship adds depth to the book, the subplot about Bridget running for political office feels awkwardly thrown in since the character disappears from the story for very long stretches.

The casual, breezy writing style moves the plot along at a steady pace. There is just the right amount of detailed description without bogging down the story. I spotted a few errors (not capitalizing the first word in a sentence, a missing apostrophe, incorrect use of plural vs. singular, and a missing word). The errors surprised me, given the otherwise high quality of the writing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is an absorbing story that is sure to keep you curled up on the sofa for hours. I would recommend it to anyone who likes character-driven novels and a mix of themes. I hope the author decides to write more books about Izzy as she is an unforgettable character.

Editor's Note: This review is based on an advanced pre-publication copy. The few minor errors noted by the reviewer were corrected before the book was published.
Small Change
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love a good character driven novel, and this one sounds like it'd be a great weekend, lazy day read. I want to learn more about Izzy and Jim. You always have such great reviews with wonderful information! Thanks for introducing us to another great book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A tale about a woman who is at a crossroads in her personal life should be interesting. It is great that that the plot wasn't disjointed, and that it wasn't bogged down by unnecessary details. I like character-driven novels as long as they aren't slow-paced. I am not not sure it is for me, but I an glad you enjoyed it. Great job as always!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Alwaystkd
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaystkd.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Alwaystkd »

Well written review. Robert Frost, “Road Less Traveled” is my all time favorite poem. The poet talks about a crossroad and the struggle of choices. Your review compels me to read this book to see how the main character will deal with the choices she seems to be facing. Thank you for a great review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kandscreeley and Gali. :) I found the summary difficult to write because the plot was a little busy. Even though the author did a good job weaving the different plot points, genres, and themes together, it was hard for me to explain the plot without rambling on.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 08:18 Thanks Kandscreeley and Gali. :) I found the summary difficult to write because the plot was a little busy. Even though the author did a good job weaving the different plot points, genres, and themes together, it was hard for me to explain the plot without rambling on.
Those are sometimes the hardest ones. You have to choose exactly what you do want to tell about. Then there are the ones that start off in one direction and then turn completely in another. It's like you can't really tell the second part because it would be a spoiler, but then you want to say something about it or else people will be surprised. Anyway, I'm just rambling now. I thought you did well with summarizing the plot.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Your favorite line is a paraphrased version of a song by One Direction. Yes, utterly charming. I wonder whether Izzy will leave Jim and take up with Sean. But that would be a big, not small, change.

I like stories like this that mirror life. Thanks for the interesting review, Bookowlie!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Kandscreeley and Miriam Molina! Kandscreeley, I think most of us have read review books that have been hard to summarize. Miriam, That's interesting that my favorite line is a verson of song by One Direction. I wonder if the author "lifted" the sentiment from the song! It's funny that you mentioned stories that mirror life. I thought about that very same thing while reading the book.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thank you, this sounds like a really enjoyable book - I hope the author gets a chance to produce a second edition with the necessary corrections, as the story probably deserves a wider audience.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This one sounds like a good one according to your review. It seems as if the author took great care in the storyline. Sounds like a little bit of a love triangle as well...currently married and then the “other man”. Great job on this one. I don’t know if I would have considered it but you have invited me to the party!
Everything happens for a reason...
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I would like to read more about Izzy because it seems like she is experiencing what a lot of middle-aged married women experience. They get fed up with how they are treated and long for something better. It seems like a story about a woman who is finally discovering her worth, and I like that. Great review. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Izzy, the woman who tries to find her right way, on a crossroad with a dilemma needed to be found? Well, this is the kind of book I would like to read on a Friday night, or even a Sunday morning. Love these kind of stories where love and reason confront each other.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I could definitely see myself enjoying this book! I like how Izzy is likeable even though her intentions/actions may not be savory. It sounds like the various subplots keep things interesting while also developing the story. Thanks for a great review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like the perfect great rainy day read. I love characters that seem real.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback! I loved Izzy's character. Although I didn't agree with some of her choices, she was an interesting, multi-layered character.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”