Official Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emilia1892
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Eyes Don't Lie
Bookshelf Size: 50

Re: Official Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H.

Post by Emilia1892 »

Thanks for review. That book is a very interesting. put your imagination to fly!!
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

How do you misspell the names of you characters? That's a little disappointing. It, however, sounds like a great book to have. I'll get it.
MA
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

These stories sound amazing, and I love delving deep into the psychology of broken characters. I'm not sure I'm up to the emotional roller coaster this book would certainly cause right now, but I think I'll want to revisit it another day. Thank you for the thorough review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

What an eloquently written review! Kudos to you! After reading the sample, it seems that Coles indeed has a handle on disdainful parental actions. It makes me wonder how accurately he describes other relationships in his other stories.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like Coles' psychological approach to this novel. The conflict displayed among the different relationships, like a man and his wife, father and son, are thought provoking and leaves the reader pondering the purpose of life.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I'm not a huge fan of short stories but I might try this one out! Sounds very psychological and philosophical. Congrats on the review!
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

A thought-provoking read of the sample so far, with fascinating insight into the long term effects of the entry of a person or situation into a pre-existing family (or group, perhaps indicated by the review). Initially, I wasn’t sure if the first story was set in a previous time, but reading to the end demonstrated that the time frame didn’t matter. The story held such power. I really enjoyed the author’s ability to convey ideas with potent imagery. A shame to read of the grammatical errors, but I will be reading to the end.
WillowStarSerenity
Currently Reading: Loved
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowstarserenity.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by WillowStarSerenity »

I love the honesty of this review. I would love to get a copy of this book and read it. It seems like a pretty awesome collection of stories all in one! I've never seen a story collection that includes two graphic novels in it.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

Finally a reviewer that gives a proper score based on the writing. However their comment about the book sucking the reader in, making them feel like they are the main character, is just the markings of a good book. Not necessarily a novelty. I look forward to reading this book all the same.
Amunala
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amunala.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Amunala »

I have read books written by William H. Coles .So I'll definitely be checking out this!
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
JeriTrice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeritrice.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by JeriTrice »

The description you provide definitely piques my interest in reading this collection. The stories sound varied and quite interesting
Voke98
Currently Reading: Murder at Broadcast Park
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Voke98 »

its realy motive and takes out a chance of other step in ones comensing life...its realy a nice review as on how characters av been point..on my inner feelings i get up motive and to any reader
Momomo
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Momomo »

lot of good things about Mr. Coles; hence, my expectations of this collection are incredibly high. Coles rises to the occasion, creating an outstanding display of human “portraits” so carefully and honestly rendered that the characters all feel so real—so, well, human. There’s a sense that we’re peering into the hearts and souls of people we know, people we care about, people we may even love. That’s when we start feeling their joy, their despair, and in several cases, their determination to survive. And then, we begin to understand. Fred Bean in the story Nemesis has a self-absorbed personality that people reflexively detest, but Coles makes us see him for what he is—a flawed human being, just like the rest of us. How can we not see ourselves in him after that? How can we not appreciate what he’s going through? How can we not understand? How can we
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you for your review, I’ve gotten my copy. The errors won’t bother me too much since they’re brought to my attention. I wouldn’t lay too much blame on the author, I’m sure he knows how to spell his character’s names. Errors like that could have been from an editing program.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Outstanding! The psychological aspect in this book actually, in my opinion as I see it, gives valuable lessons for these characters kind of relatable to most of us or at least to me. I haven't fully finish reading this author's work so I'll have to put this on my TBR list. Insightful review by the way! Thanks for it gives me bits of what this book offers.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”